close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock's soon to be only half Austrian

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SeanK, Jan 30, 2005.

1. SeanK

SeanK

Read in Autoloader Magazine, the mag the deals only with Glocks, that Glock is going to be making the lower's on Glocks at their Smyrna Georgia Plant, for the US market. The slides will still be made in Austria.

Glock said the result will be a gun that is identical to Glock’s fully made in Austria, but at a much lower cost to US consumers. Since the half and half worked very well for Sig, a lot of people think that their even better then all German/Swiss sig’s, I think it’s a great move.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Let's see, we learned in another thread that it costs Glock $75 per pistol to make in Austria, but they sell for $450-600 in the USA. I wonder how much cheaper they will sell for if made partially in the USA...

3. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt

Hmm, could this mean we might see a .380 Glock in the US for civilian shooters in the future???

4. kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn

one of the major mandates that the Pentagon places on any company that contends for military firearms contracts is that the firearms and replacement parts be made on U.S. soil...hence the transfer of Beretta manufacturing of M-9/Beretta 92 from Italy to U.S.

Maybe Glock is taking the first step to meeting requirements to become a contender in future military contract testing. One can be hopeful that they might get more of a foothold on the U.S. law enforcement and military markets ;f

5. Ian111

Ian111

On the other hand a lot folks over at www.sigforum.com would dispute that about German made and proofed SIGs. Me included. The "American" SIGs are still great but the German ones seem to be a little bit better IMO.

Anyways, I wish Glock well in their bid for getting the contract with our U.S. Armed Forces. Its been a long time coming. And I hope the transition goes well for Glock fans.

Although I am glad I've got my Austrian made G35.

6. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Millennium Member

The first M9 contract was a 5 year deal. The 1st year they were made and assembled in Italy, the 2nd year made there and assembled here, yrs 3 - 5 made and assembled here. ;b

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Does that take into account ALL the expenses Glock has? Machinery, employee wages, advertising, utility bills, taxes, import/export fees, shipping, etc. or is only a figure of simple material and tooling cost.

Nothing against you, just this argument is made on almost every product made. Yes, CDs only cost about 1/2 a cent to make. But you have to figure everything that goes into makeing the CD and what is on it.

I hope Glock moves more of thier operation here. It would not only help make the product cheaper, but it would get rid of the silly ATF import point system, allowing them to make more varying kinds of firearms. The fact that they are now making frames in the US may be HUGE reason why this mystery relvolutionary product is being made.

The argument that something made here is of less quality that those made in Germany or Austria is hit or miss. That has more to do with the management of the company than the country. If the management allows shoddy work, doesn't pay enough to make the employees care, or allows bad employees to stay, then the product will suffer. But, if they have good employees that care and like where they work, they generally will produce better products.

Toyota and Honda both have multiple plants here in the US. IMO they are still some of the most reliable cars on the road and both makes hold thier resale value many times higher than any american owned car company. But, all are made in the same country. So where it is made means very little compared to how it was made (slapped together vs. carefully assembled) or who made it (some minimum wage idiot who doesn't care what he does vs. someone who likes what they are doing and is proud to be a part of the company).

8. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

"Glock said the result will be a gun that is identical to Glock’s fully made in Austria, but at a much lower cost to US consumers."

Ha! I wouldn't count on it.
    They sell just fine at the current price so I don't expect it to drop.

9. vafish

vafish

Since Tennifer is out for a slide coating here, maybe we'll get to see a stainless steel Glock now.

Hmmm. Stainless steel slimline's to compete with the Kahr. Glock quality and reliabiltiy at a lower price. Gotta love it.

10. boomcat

boomcat

The frames are the one part that is considered "the gun" by the ATF, and if Glock-USA no longer imports them, then they are no longer subject to the "points system" for imported pistols. This means that Glock-USA could offer new models, like a .380 Glock, that wouldn't make it under the current points system. And they wouldn't have to offer the "throw-away" adjustable sights that they use to bring up the points total for import into the US. It would allow Glock to compete more effectively with US manufacturers of mini-nine pistols; in the US, Kahr can make smaller 9mm pistols than Glock because of the import points system.

That and being a domestic manufacturer for military contracts.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

11. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Well, since the slide is still going to be made in Austria, I am sure they will stay tennifered (no reason to fix whats not broken). But since a slide is not a "gun", just a "gun part" then that would be a way around the ATF point system. Also technically the gun would be assembled in the US so the ATF points system wouldn't count.

Hey I am not complaining. They make an awesome gun and are now going to employ a lot more americans, thus helping our economy.

We win all around on this deal.

12. vafish

vafish

I was thinking along the lines of 100% US made (with stainless slides), not 50%.

13. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

That's just part of the wanting what you can't have or is rare bug. Machinery turns out the same thing no matter the zip code.

I called Glock recently and was told the slides and barrels will continue to be made and tennifered in Austria. The toughness and corrosion resistance of Tennifer is how Glock made it's reputation. Glock is not gonna drop it just to make a pistol entirely in the US.

14. opusx386

opusx386

This would be great!!

Hopefully the BATF point issue will disappear and then we could see some single stack baby 9mm, 40S&W, 357 Sig.

Then I could pack up my Kahr MK9 and use Glock as my pocket CCW pistol.

15. loose cannon

loose cannon

newbie question here,what is it about tenifer that makes it illegal to do here????

16. loose cannon

loose cannon

ill second that ill take a 6+1 9mm 3/4"wide and 16oz loaded 3"bbl.

not holding my breath.

17. Libertas

Libertas Finally!

There's something about what your saying.

Regards

18. Libertas

Libertas Finally!

Let's assume Glock made 100% of their weapons in the USA. Why would this change whether the Tenifer process would change? I don't follow the logic.

Regards

19. Ian111

Ian111

I believe it has something to do with the Tenifer process possibly having a difficult time passing EPA restrictions. If the slide was made in the U.S. Glock may have to use a different process.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny this.

20. Rastus

Rastus

I'll believe that tenifer in the US is impossible when I see specific proof from the EPA saying so. This crap comes up at least once a week and not once has anyone had so much as a microscopic tidbit of evidence to support it.

There're about 10 billion thousand metal treatment processes available today. Most of them create, in one form or another, waste that needs to be disposed of according to pollution laws.

I can't believe the Austrian govt., or the EU for that matter, allows Glock to pollute like a mofo whereas the US won't allow the tenifer operation even with compliance of current hazmat treatment/disposal procedures.

I eagerly await one of you insiders to give me the lowdown and back it up.