Glock Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
It is clearly closest to DAO as the trigger draws the firing pin back prior to release. The Glock firing pin, when at rest, is not in its fully down position, but partially back, held there by the lug of the firing pin resting against the rear leg of the cruciform.

Striker fired pistols fall into three categories: (1) firing pin fully down and trigger pulls it all the way back before release; (2) firing pin partially back and trigger pulls it the rest of the way back before release; and, (3) firing pin is fully back, and pulling the trigger merely releases the firing pin to fly forward.

S&W Sigma, SW9VE, SD9 are type 1.

GLOCK is type 2.

S&W M&P, Springfield XD Series, etc., are type 3.
This is the best description of the types of striker fired pistols. Glock is more double action than single.

· Registered
945 Posts
I'm no expert but I agree the Glock Safe-Action and maybe some other striker-fired guns don't fit into a single DAO or SAO category. I consider the Glock to be closer to a single-action gun. The striker is pre-cocked to the point where the trigger only has to move a short distance to finish cocking and release the striker. When I think DAO, I think of a long trigger that is doing all of the cocking work. Also, the Glock needs the movement of the slide to recock the striker and reset trigger after firing.
Some striker fired pistols are fully cocked when cycled so they should be considered SAO ( striker version ) and glocks are DAO ( striker version )

· MacGyver
10,799 Posts
No hammer. Those terms only apply to hammer guns.

Striker fired.

You can use the word "like" to describe how the trigger feels or behaves, but has nothing to do with the action.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts