Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cop Glocks Falling Apart

Seattle cops are being urged by their union to pack some extra heat.

More than 500 department-issued Glock semi-automatic handguns are getting so old, they need to be replaced, said Sgt. Rich O'Neill, president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild.

"We've had some real serious malfunctions at the range," O'Neill said.
In some instances, the guns are literally falling apart when the officers shoot. One officer saw the slide on his gun flying down the range when he fired.

The department has assured the guild that there is a program in place to eventually replace all the aging guns, but the guild thought it still made sense to issue what it called an Officer Safety Alert.

The safety alert states, in part, "In light of the recent officer involved shootings and while the replacement procedure is in progress, officers are encouraged to carry an approved backup handgun while on duty."

O'Neill himself said his Glock is from 1994, the year Seattle first switched from revolvers to semi-automatic handguns.

"We have guns out there that are 14, 15 years old," he said. "They're not like the old revolvers. They've got to be replaced."
:dunno:

·
Armed & Safe
2,196 Posts
Sounds like they need some new slide lock springs.

And if they need replaced after duty use, they are not at the end of their shelf life, but their service life.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
the need to borrow Chuck Taylors G17 for duty use

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thats impossible,
everyone knows glocks are greatest handgun ever made,
the tennifer finish will survive a thermo nuclear explosion.:rofl:
They are higher quality compared to sig,hk,beretta,cz,colt..etc...etc...

seriously , must be operator error.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Whom in the Seattle takes care of the department Glocks as an armorer? If the weapons are beginning to have issues, am I wrong in believing that they could use some going over? Or is it hype verses budget to spend?

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
As well as GLOCK takes care of LE,surely this is being dealt with thru GLOCK Inc.,,,,:upeyes:

Just because the may need some parts replaced, does'nt mean they are'nt any good anymore. Maybe they will trade all of the 500 pistols in and I can get one for cheap!!!!!!:wavey:

·
Road Warrior
91 Posts
For pete's sake, no kidding, who the hell is the armorer???????????? Get your boys some new springs and get back into buisness. "Let's just shoot em until they fall apart" Good job seattle.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,234 Posts
This scam is brought to you by your local Glock LE dealer, who knows how fast used cop Glocks will sell.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cop Glocks Falling Apart

Seattle cops are being urged by their union to pack some extra heat.

More than 500 department-issued Glock semi-automatic handguns are getting so old, they need to be replaced, said Sgt. Rich O'Neill, president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild.
I smell some union BS.

"We've had some real serious malfunctions at the range," O'Neill said.
In some instances, the guns are literally falling apart when the officers shoot. One officer saw the slide on his gun flying down the range when he fired.
Since when do Glocks recoil forward? Must be only mine, that recoils back?

The department has assured the guild that there is a program in place to eventually replace all the aging guns, but the guild thought it still made sense to issue what it called an Officer Safety Alert.
"Program" is another name for a reason to increase the city tax to pay for something.

The safety alert states, in part, "In light of the recent officer involved shootings and while the replacement procedure is in progress, officers are encouraged to carry an approved backup handgun while on duty."
Nothing like adding drama to the article to gain public support of the make believe need to buy new guns with tax money. I'd even bet the mayor has a buddy in the firearms business. Just willing to cut him a "good" deal on some new guns.

Have to get rid of the older ones first...:whistling:

Mucho BS

O'Neill himself said his Glock is from 1994, the year Seattle first switched from revolvers to semi-automatic handguns.

"We have guns out there that are 14, 15 years old," he said. "They're not like the old revolvers. They've got to be replaced."
In other words, They've got to have more tax money. The budget is going in the gas tank. So lets, BS' the public into giving us more!

They must think the public is nothing but bovines to fall for this crap. If the wepons need fixing, I'm sure Glock will recond the whole damn inventory for a fraction of the cost to replace the weapons. Nothing like brainwash coming out of the police dept union to brighten your day.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Hey, I am LE and we have some officers carrying 14 and 15 year old Glocks. They are not falling apart etc. If I remember correctly, didn't Seattle have some issues before? Was Seattle the PD saying that they had G21's with issues? Don't they carry Kimbers too? I think they issue Kimbers and Glocks. Weren't they the ones saying their guns were blowing up etc., but wouldn't let Glock look at the Guns. Wasn't there some report that Seattle was using "less than" factory spec/standard ammo. Something sounds funny here. Don't jump to any conclusions until we get an official report. Apparently Seattle has been the subject of some "issues". Can anyone here on the forum shed some light on this subject.

·
Registered
805 Posts
he probably wanted a new gun and thought it would be funny to throw his slide down range. He then "saw the slide on his gun flying down the range"

·
"Senior" Member
740 Posts
Hell, if they want to get rid of them I'd take a dozen or so off their hands for $100 apiece.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts