Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If another ban similar to Brady Bill #2 is passed, Glock is ready.
Brady Bill #2 would have banned the sale of any new pistol that would accept pre-ban magazines and it is rumored that the next possible ban will include such wording. Such a ban would have indeed banned the sale of every model of Glock. At the time, Glock recognized the threat and developed the Model 36, which has a different size magazine well than any other model.

If a new ban with similar wording is passed, it will put many manufacturers out of business as they struggle to develop new models re-tool for their manufacture.
Glock is ready. Plans are already underway to create models based on the Model 36 in all major calibers. Those of you wanting a single stack 9mm may get your way after all, but don't count on it being as thin as the PPS.

Also, look for the Model 25 and 28 to be available in the U.S. soon.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
If another ban similar to Brady Bill #2 is passed, Glock is ready.
Brady Bill #2 would have banned the sale of any new pistol that would except pre-ban magazines and it is rumored that the next possible ban will include such wording. Such a ban would have indeed banned the sale of every model of Glock. At the time, Glock recognized the threat and developed the Model 36, which has a different size magazine well than any other model.

If a new ban with similar wording is passed, it will put many manufacturers out of business as they struggle to develop new models re-tool for their manufacture.
Glock is ready. Plans are already underway to create models based on the Model 36 in all major calibers. Those of you wanting a single stack 9mm may get your way after all, but don't count on it being as thin as the PPS.

Also, look for the Model 25 and 28 to be available in the U.S. soon.
Interesting speculation. If a future ban allowed 10-round magazines, the GAP models would be compliant. The .45 ACP S&W M&P would be compliant, as would some other pistols.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If everyone would just vote for McCain, we probably wouldn't need to worry bout a ban!
Amen.

He may not be perfect.. but 1000% better than the Barakalypse

Oops, didn't type the rest of my message in here.

Thats an interesting idea. I wonder if a similar ban came, and glock did that, would we still be able to get parts for our "pre ban" glocks?

·
Living Life Down Zero !
62 Posts
AFShooter:

Interested in how and from what source you obtained this information.

With all due respect...but it DOES sound quite a bit like rumor mongering.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
AFShooter:

Interested in how and from what source you obtained this information.

With all due respect...but it DOES sound quite a bit like rumor mongering.
Of course it is! Most companies keep their plans to themselves. If anything, Glock is even more close-mouthed than other companies.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting speculation. If a future ban allowed 10-round magazines, the GAP models would be compliant. The .45 ACP S&W M&P would be compliant, as would some other pistols.
This speculation was relayed to me by an Instructor at Glock Professional Inc.
Take it for what it's worth. I'm only telling you all what he told me.
I have no idea how the .380s are going to come in OR why anyone would want one outside of maybe a collector, but both the instructor and the representative present told us not to waste our money trying to obtain one of the few floating around in the U.S., saying they would be available soon.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I believe the wording of the current ban in congress (introduced in June?) is that it bans anything that will ACCEPT a magazine of more than 10 rounds (very similar to current D.C. law). So that means most guns are out. GLOCK's only models would be the 36 - 39. You can always look on the bright side. You may get that single stack 9mm GLOCK you've always wanted.

Personally, if Obama gets in the white house I don't think the ban will move much. G.W. Bush himself said he'd sign another ban if it made it to his office. Watch congress and SCOTUS (the president's plaything) more importantly than the president. However, it will be likely that you can say goodbye to importation of the FN FS2000. All it takes is a stroke of a pen by Obama to stop importation.

And don't always trust the Republicans. Two of the sponsors of the newest form of the AWB are republicans.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
This speculation was relayed to be by an Instructor at Glock Professional Inc.
Unless his first name was Gaston or Robert and his last name was Glock, don't count on the information being accurate! I very much doubt that instructors sit in on planning meetings with the senior staff at Glock!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said before, I'm just relaying what I was told by Glock.
This was in the "What's new at Glock" portion of a slide presentation as a part of the Certified Armorer's Course.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
wouldn't any gun that took a detachable magazine be capable of accepting a magazine of more than 10 rounds?

edit: and if the issue were accepting preban mags all that would need to be done to work around that is to redesign the mag latch to a new location so preban mags wouldn't lock in a post ban firearm.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
wouldn't any gun that took a detachable magazine be capable of accepting a magazine of more than 10 rounds?

edit: and if the issue were accepting preban mags all that would need to be done to work around that is to redesign the mag latch to a new location so preban mags wouldn't lock in a post ban firearm.
Don't give 'em any ideas, Ed! :shocked:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

As crazy as it sounds, your first comment might not be off base.

Your second comment is interesting but I doubt anyone would want a pistol with the mag catch in a different position. I know I wouldn't. I've spent too much time training with Glocks to have to re-learn the position of the mag release.

I hope the Poll-iticians realize what a losing issue gun control is. We need to repeal all of the current gun control legislation, not write more.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The NRA has the right plan, SUE the pants off every gun law in this country! It's time we went on the political offensive. The NRA is taking Heller v. D.C. to the limit. Morton Grove, IL repealed their gun ban within 1 week of the ruling. Vote Mccain, join the NRA, and let your elected officials know you're pro-gun rights and you expect them to be too.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Of course it is! Most companies keep their plans to themselves. If anything, Glock is even more close-mouthed than other companies.
Every responsible company has contingency plans for potential legislation such as the gun industry faces regularly.

Yes such plans are meant to be secret.

Yes some employees might not be able to keep the secret.

Yes a person who is told of such a plan is also unlikely to disclose his source and lose it and likely they loose thier job.

Rumor? Perhaps. Plan? Perhaps.

Bet money there is a plan. Do not rule out domestic production nor single stacks.

My bet is 9mm single stack is likely no matter the law -- hot segment.

·
pho_kit_all
895 Posts
My plan is to sit back and watch obamanation catch a projectile in the head on TV. I suspect it will be on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, MSN, CNN, BBC and a host of other television stations.

So much for that...

:tongueout:

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Bob Barr '08

1 - 20 of 79 Posts