close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glocks/new user

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jgamble, Jun 5, 2002.

1. jgamble

jgamble

Hi All,

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking for advice that's been given elsewhere. I own a couple Beretta .40s-w and I'm looking at getting either a new Glock 23 or maybe a Sig. Originally, I was thinking of trying a .357 sig, but the guy who I usually buy from more or less helped to talk me out of that when I went looking (again) today. I've seen on here that you can swap out barrels between the .40s-w and the .357 - does that hold true between the Glock 23 and the Glock 32? I like the idea of getting another .40s-w - one less type of ammo on hand, but I also kind of wanted to try something different, so that would seem ideal if possible. Are there any lefties on here who can tell me about their experience with Glocks? On Berettas, the safety is ambidexterous and the slide release is big enough to reliably activate with my index finger. When I looked at the Sig, the release is really small and difficult to activate that way but on the Glock it seemed fairly easy - but then again I've never done it actually shooting. Any feedback from lefties would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, this forum is great.

2. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

You can absolutely swap the barrels between a G23 and G32. They're essentially the same gun.

As far as the slide release goes, according to the manual there isn't one. There's a slide lock lever that many people use to release the slide, but the manual and most trainers reccomend release the slide by pulling it back with the support hand and letting it go. This method works with every semi-auto on the market.

3. noway

noway

First I like to congrats you on looking at the glock. One thing to add if you are looking at a G23 then make sure you get a 3rd generation frame model so that it would be adequate with the 357sig barrel. NOT all G22/23 are able to swap barrels.
    (imho) If I had todo everything over, I would get the G32 and buy the 40S&W later on with a better supported barrel ( Jarvis,KKM,Barsto etc... )

Secondly, You can use the slide stop/release or whatever you want to call it in the fashion that you indicated. It wil help in speeding up reloads and I nevere heard of anybody "breaking" any semi-auto by releasing the slide via the slide-stop.

(BTW) I'm not a lefty, but my shooting friend is and he reachs over and release slide via right index finger.Or manually pulling the slide back.

( remember you might not have a hand free to pull back the slide manually to release it so practice both ways )

And of course since it isn't a Beretta you shouldn't have to worry about a safety. If the slide stop lever size is a problem for you, then take alook around at topglock and glockmeister for extended slide-stop levers.

Best of luck in you future choice.

4. jgamble

jgamble

Thanks for the information! After I saw the responses, I realized how stupid the slide stop/release question was - but for whatever reason I've just always done it that way and so it was a concern, but maybe one I hadn't thought out well enough.

How can I tell the difference between a third generation frame and an older one? It sounds like you recommend a third party barrel to do the conversion, why?

Thanks again for the info. I was really pleasantly surprised when I took a look at Glock. Honestly, I've always kind of thought I wouldn't like a "non-traditional" gun like the Glock, but once I started seriously looking at it, I really like the way it felt.

5. noway

noway

{How can I tell the difference between a third
    generation frame and an older one? It sounds like
    you recommend a third party barrel to do the
    conversion, why}

If it has finger-grooves and rail it is a third gen thus stronger frame. Their's also a serial number cut off for the earlier 2gen like CFA*** and higher but don't take my word on that. Call glock to check if not buying a 3rd gen frame gun. Now if you buy the G31/32 then you can use the 40S&W with no concern since the frame is already beefy.

FYI: The G27/33 (sub-compact ) are already beef'ed up from what I've been told. So no worry here either.

The barrel issue to me just make more logic sense. Get the G32 if you plan on a combo caliber and then buy a 3rd party top of the line barrel with better support than the stock G23 barrel. I have a G23 that I bought about 2 years ago just for the reason that I couldn't do this combo out of my early G22 and I wish I had took the route of G32 and then G23 bbl or 3rd party bbl.

I'm just passing on my past "trials and errors" in my decisions making.

Both 40SW and 357sig make a awesome caliber for defense.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

At the Ops Dynamic Tactics class last weekend we had about 14 shooters and four or five were lefties (surprising number of lefties in my opinion) and Andy Stanford teaches the other-hand-to-yank-the-slide maneuver as opposed to hitting the button, since hitting the release is a fine motor skill and in the middle of a shootout, those go to crap. The lefties apparently had no problems doing that, though applying the slide stop to lock the slide back occasionally was a problem for a few of them.

7. jgamble

jgamble

I agree, applying the slide stop is very tricky and there are some times that it gives me trouble too. Fun being ambindexterous :) Try finding a left-handed bow sometime or selling one used. Or a left-handed bolt action that's actually in stock. The scarey part is that I am so used to shooting right handed bolt actions that when I bought my own left handed one it seemed odd. Same thing with magazine releases on my Berettas. I'm so used to finding them on the "wrong" side that I instinctively look for them there instead of the correct side for a lefty. When I bought my first Beretta, I had it reversed but a couple weeks later had it switched back because I was so used to having it on the "wrong" side.

8. jgamble

jgamble

Well, I think I'm ready to take the plunge. Galyans (sp?) near here has a model 32 for $499. Does that seem like a pretty reasonable price? It's much less expensive than other stores in town.

9. noway

noway

that's a great Price if new.

Going price around my locale is low-end $470.00 & high-end $575.00 for G32 with 2 10rd mags no night-sights.

10. noway

noway

and to add the G32 ,21 and 30 models seems to be the hardest to find glocks around ( in my neck of the swamp ). So grab it if you can.

11. jgamble

jgamble

Ok, that answers that question :) Yeah it's new, it's the one they have in the case so it's been handled but he said they may have one in the back. Galyans is a HUGE sporting goods store that sells just about everything dirt cheap. Ammo is the cheapest in town there. I'm pretty sure they are a national chain and I feel badly because I'd rather buy from the local guys but they can't touch the prices there. They can't answer a lot of questions, but sometimes you run into someone who knows what they are talking about. I almost bought it tonight after looking at it, but I had to be somewhere in 15 minutes and I figured with the paperwork that I'd be late - but it about killed me walking out of there without it. :) Now I need to find a Winchester 94 to make my father happy...

12. jgamble

jgamble

So I drive into the Galyans in Kansas City (nearest city with any kind of gun store) all fired up to pick up the Glock 32, get through all the paperwork and have all sorts of ammo stacked up - hey, I don't get in often - and the guy asks for my drivers license. No problem, I hand it to him... only to discover I had forgotten to change the address when I moved and it obviously doesn't match the address on the federal form. ARGH. The worst thing is I only have myself to blame for not doing it before and I wasn't carrying anything else official with my address on it. Totally my fault, but those are the most annoying errors ever. :) Oh well, I'll get it by Friday and order the .40 s-w barrel shortly afterwards.