Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal about buying a glock in MASS. Do you have to buy a Preban Glock? What about mags?

My brother asked me about this because he is going on a job that will take a year to 14 months to complete. He said you can't bring handguns into the state. I told him I don't know anything about MASS. I am just a dumb GA boy and there are not too many rules about this kind of thing here.

Any help would be great. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are a MA resident, and not a LEO, then in MA you can only buy used Glocks manufactured before (I think) November 1998, AND (again I think) Glocks that have been documented to have been in the state prior to that date. Same rules apply for interstate transfers via FFL. There are lots of Gen2 Glocks available at dealers but they run a lot higher than everywhere else - typically $500 for a used G17/19/22. 23's are a little rare - run $575-$600, and 26/27's run $7-800. I think a non-resident moving to the state can bring with them any vintage Glock - but you must immediately apply for a resident permit, and register the gun. You can get a non-resident permit and bring any vintage Glock into the state.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The MA AG (prior one) declared that the Glock handguns do not meet his arbitrary requirements for "consumer safety", therefore MA Dealers are forbidden from transferring any Glocks that were made post-1998.

Nothing prohibits possession, new residents from moving in with whatever handguns they own, or private transfers (max 4/calendar year) of any handgun.

MA also has the old AWB and hi-cap mag ban, therefore "evil guns" or hi-cap mags must be mfd prior to 9/13/1994 to be legal (for anyone other than LEO) to possess in MA at any time.

Possession of any firearms/ammo in MA requires a license, so someone moving in must file immediately for a LTC. There is a "window" allowing someone to move in with guns, but not to carry or "move" them from the home until they get their license. Those moving in with guns do NOT have to register them. If you bring the guns into MA AFTER moving in, then you MUST register each of them with the state.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the deal about buying a glock in MASS. Do you have to buy a Preban Glock? What about mags?

My brother asked me about this because he is going on a job that will take a year to 14 months to complete. He said you can't bring handguns into the state. I told him I don't know anything about MASS. I am just a dumb GA boy and there are not too many rules about this kind of thing here.

Any help would be great. Thanks Guys
Check out this link. A great gun shop about 8 miles north of Boston.

http://www.fsguns.com/specials.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glocks are on the Massachusetts "approved" weapons list, so why can't they be bought? Does the weapons list indicate only the weapons that can be possessed?

Can you bring a gun that's not on the list, such as a Kel-tec, to MA if you've possessed it before moving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The "approved" list only applies to firearms processed through an FFL - new buys and interstate transfers, not possession. Due to the legalities of which regulations were in place at which time, it was determined that even if a firearm is on the list, it still had to be manufactured prior to 11/98. So hence the "used" only situation with firearm dealers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you are a MA resident, and not a LEO, then in MA you can only buy used Glocks manufactured before (I think) November 1998, AND (again I think) Glocks that have been documented to have been in the state prior to that date. Same rules apply for interstate transfers via FFL. There are lots of Gen2 Glocks available at dealers but they run a lot higher than everywhere else - typically $500 for a used G17/19/22. 23's are a little rare - run $575-$600, and 26/27's run $7-800. I think a non-resident moving to the state can bring with them any vintage Glock - but you must immediately apply for a resident permit, and register the gun. You can get a non-resident permit and bring any vintage Glock into the state.

Sounds like a communist country.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like a communist country.
:agree:

It more than looks like it.... have you seen who they selected as their governor? Hard to believe they are the same people that chose Romney (not like he did much for gun owners either).

I mean they've got Obama junior over there... Also from Illinois (big gun supporters), also worked on Civil Rights, as willing to show clemency to criminals as Obama (heaven forbid a mass murderer get executed before costing the State several hundred thousand dollars, escaping, and killing some more).

I call Millis, MA my hometown, but sad to say you're right. Things are looking good.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
What would you expect from a State that would send that fat, manslaughterous, lush Teddy to the Senate time after time after time after time?

You could not pay me enough to live in the Peoples Republik of Mass.?

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
The MA AG (prior one) declared that the Glock handguns do not meet his arbitrary requirements for "consumer safety", therefore MA Dealers are forbidden from transferring any Glocks that were made post-1998.

Nothing prohibits possession, new residents from moving in with whatever handguns they own, or private transfers (max 4/calendar year) of any handgun.

MA also has the old AWB and hi-cap mag ban, therefore "evil guns" or hi-cap mags must be mfd prior to 9/13/1994 to be legal (for anyone other than LEO) to possess in MA at any time.

Possession of any firearms/ammo in MA requires a license, so someone moving in must file immediately for a LTC. There is a "window" allowing someone to move in with guns, but not to carry or "move" them from the home until they get their license. Those moving in with guns do NOT have to register them. If you bring the guns into MA AFTER moving in, then you MUST register each of them with the state.
The current Glock mags. don't have a date on them. They are marked just like any pre-ban mag. I am interested in knowing how the MA AG is going to determine the manufacture date for a Glock mag. It sounds like any mag. not marked LEO or military, and not having a manufactured date.
At

·
Registered
333 Posts
Glocks are on the Massachusetts "approved" weapons list, so why can't they be bought? Does the weapons list indicate only the weapons that can be possessed?

Can you bring a gun that's not on the list, such as a Kel-tec, to MA if you've possessed it before moving?
There's no Mass law prohibiting you from buying or possessing a Glock or any other handgun. The AG however does prohibit retailers from selling any Glock that was manufactured post 1998. So you can buy a new one from a private seller if you can find one. LEO's are allowed to buy new Glocks, and sometimes you can find such for sale.

The "approved weapons roster" is misleading, since being on that list does not tell you everything.

There is a provision that allows people who are moving to bring their guns with them, including ones which are not "approved". But they must obtain the required license within a limited window of time or they will have to relinquish the firearms.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The current Glock mags. don't have a date on them. They are marked just like any pre-ban mag. I am interested in knowing how the MA AG is going to determine the manufacture date for a Glock mag. I sounds like any mag. not marked LEO or military, and not having a manufactured date.
At
Pre-ban mags have the caliber marking lower than the post ban. Also its nearly impossible, if not impossible to buy pre-ban FML mags (I tried for my 10MM) and all NFML are pre-ban.

http://www.ocshooters.com/Reports/awb/NY-AWB-S8234.html#awb
Scroll down a bit to the mag pictures

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=5&f=13
This might be a broken link -- I can only get to the forum with it, but last time I posted this like the OP told me that he was able to navigate... guess AR15 might have server issues or something?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The "approved" list only applies to firearms processed through an FFL - new buys and interstate transfers, not possession. Due to the legalities of which regulations were in place at which time, it was determined that even if a firearm is on the list, it still had to be manufactured prior to 11/98. So hence the "used" only situation with firearm dealers.
that is wrong. The reason that glocks are on the list and still not approved is because glocks (as well as kahr's and a few others) are on the list, but do not meet the arbitrary requirements set by the AG (as len stated earlier)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hoolewud7 - you are correct as far as that goes. Because a gun can be "on the list" but not approved by the AG, it was determined that;

For dealer sales or interstate transfers:

Guns on the list, and approved by AG can be sold new - mostly SW, certain Berettas, certain MA compliant Sig's (have M at start of serial number) but not Glocks
Guns on the list and not approved by the AG must be manufactured before 11/98 - Glocks

·
Registered
61 Posts
hoolewud7 - you are correct as far as that goes. Because a gun can be "on the list" but not approved by the AG, it was determined that;

For dealer sales or interstate transfers:

Guns on the list, and approved by AG can be sold new - mostly SW, certain Berettas, certain MA compliant Sig's (have M at start of serial number) but not Glocks
Guns on the list and not approved by the AG must be manufactured before 11/98 - Glocks
correct. it was just confusing as written earlier.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Don't worry soon this problem will be nation wide with a little help from Obama.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Get out of Mass just like Manny did.....:tongueout:

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
DanK------Thanks for the link to the pictures.

It looks like Glock raised the caliber marking, on the mag., to make room for that "LEO notice". It's too bad they didn't put it back where it used to be. They had to buy new molds anyway.
At

At

·
Registered
255 Posts
DanK------Thanks for the link to the pictures.

It looks like Glock raised the caliber marking, on the mag., to make room for that "LEO notice". It's too bad they didn't put it back where it used to be. They had to buy new molds anyway.
At

At
NP, and yeah that's reason I've seen given for the location of the markings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts