close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock's in .40 S&W

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by SCmasterblaster, Jan 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

So, I am in the midst of recovering from a near-fatal TBI that broke my helmet into four pieces. I have a 34-year memory loss, which has wiped out a bit of my cartridge knowledge.

Anyway, I am trying to decide which Glock would be better for personal defense here in fully-clothed NH. I already have a G17, but I am considering a G22.

Seeing how the S&W .40 is a somewhat new cartridge, I need to know what the overall track record has been for the G22/23 and the .40 S&W cartridge. Is it significantly better than the G17/19 and the 9x19? I have to keep in mind that a third of the time up here in NH folks wear a few more layers of clothing than the folks in FL do.

Thank you!

2. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

GTers for 9mm :duel: GTers for .40

I just purchased a G23 and also bought a .40-9mm conversion barrel. Cheaper range trips and bigger holes in BG's.

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Sounds interestig, but does a .40 S&W extractor/ejector of the G23 work for the 9x19 casing?

4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

These days with advancements in bullet technology, the edge if any is marginal. What the deciding factor should be is what caliber can you place on the target multiple times in a high stress situation. :upeyes:

5. vmann

vmann Controller

i believe the .40 cal is the most used law enforcement round out there...i have been using it for 20+ years...its not that new

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Using 9mm magazines and only as a range tool... it works fine. I have owned the same set-up for both my G23 and previous G27 for years. My G27 conversion barrel had well over 15K rounds through it.

7. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

Yes, it works fine. The only other item necessary is a 9mm magazine.

8. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

Roger that.....been firing the .40 since It came out.

It is one helluva good round....and as said, by no means new.

9. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

"One good hit with a .22 is better than 5 misses with a .45." I carry a .40 G27 every day unless my clothing/activities dictate a pocket KelTec .380. I've been carrying the same weapon off-duty and in retirement for 12 years. I practice often, and shoot it proficiently.

As a LEO my first homicide shooting that I worked as a rookie, was one guy shooting his roommate over a $1.50 owed. He used a single shot .22 with a round nose lead .22 short. Shot him in the right chest and the bullet travelled into his heart, stopped him in his tracks, and he was dead when EMS got there. The victim was 5'10" and 210 lbs.

I would suggest you carry what is comfortable for you and what you shoot well. Then practice every chance you get.

10. dakrat

dakrat

11. 1canvas

1canvas

i think the .40 is a little better than a 9mm but i too think with the newer high tech bullets and powders the 9mm is a good choice. i grew up in a household full of cops in the 70s when 9mm had a lot of developement to go through. if it wasn't for that i might be carrying a 9mm.

12. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

.40 is widely regarded as the best compromise between the bigger holes of the .45 and the higher round count of the 9mm. Plenty of firepower.

13. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you recover quickly.

I am a big 40 fan. I think that the 40 is a lot of things. It can be light and super fast with 135-155 grain bullets, moderately heavy and still fast with 165 grain bullets, and heavy and slow with 180-20 grain bullets. My favorite is 155-165 grain. I like 165 grain Winchester Ranger T or PDX1. Very good expansion and penetration. The 40 has a lot of options when it comes to SD ammo. With your location and clothing requirements (I'm an Upstate NY'er) I understand your requirement for adequate penetration and heavy clothing performance. I have tested my Ranger T's and PDX1 against some thick clothing and both penetrated and expanded reliably.

I think that you are fine with a G17. Load it with the right bullets and it can handle the task. If you want to spend the money I would go down the 40 route. The nice thing about the G22/23 is that you can swap out a barrel mags and have all three calibers. I don't do that but a lot of people do. I like my G23 and feel very comfortable with 14 rounds of 40 on hand. If you don't soot the 40 well, stay away from it. Some people say it has a lot of snap and is a flinch inducer. I can't comment on that because I've been shooting a 40 for 6 years now. I do notice novice shooters flinching a lot with 40's from time to time. The gain over +P 9mm isn't that much, but it will launch a 155-165 grain bullet at similar velocities to 124 +P 9mm. In the end they all have similar results. looking back on the purchase of my G23, I might have gone G19. I was 17 when I got the G23 and I had to have it because the FBI was issuing it so I thought it was the best thing going. I would have been fine with a G19 (I have a G17), but I think I made a good choice in the G23. Some people consider the G23 one of the best Glock's ever made. Others simply say make mine a nine. My G23 has been almost flawless over 20k+ rounds while my G17 has choked a number of times. I've had a two FTF's due to a bad mag spring in my range mag, and two failures to return to battery. Over 20k+ rounds that ain't too bad. :cool:

IMO, in the end, 9mm, 40, 357, 45 all equal about the same thing.

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I like the 40 S&W round so my Glocks are a G22 and G23. Go with what makes you happy.

15. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

The .40 works fine, the 9mm works fine. Either will work for you. I personally prefer the 9mm and would carry it, given the choice, as I find my recovery and follow-up shot time to be a bit better than with the .40. Plus, inexpensive practice ammo seems more plentiful in 9mm than .40.

16. mymini40

mymini40

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Given the dominance of .40S&W in law enforcement, I wouldn't consider it a relatively new cartridge. I would definitely (and do) choose .40 over 9mm, but 9 is fine.

18. Hairy

Hairy

.40...........4...sure

19. automan

automan

For serious social work, a .40 is good. It covers and exceeds the basic 9mm spectrum and is slightly bigger. The pistol itself is built to handle more pressure than the 9 and with its versatility, you can use 357 SIG and 9mm barrels in your .40 too.

Just wanted to add that if you don't shoot a .40 on a regular basis, or are recoil sensitive you may want to go to a 9mm.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  20. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

I wouldn't volunteer to be shot with either a 9mm or a .40. :supergrin: