Glocks, finally gonna buy one

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bw77, Feb 16, 2010.

1. bw77

bw77

Lookin into getting my first Glock. I have been member here for a while and strangely enough I have never owned one. The only Glock I have fired is my friend's G19.

So I'm finally going to buy one. My only dilemma is which model to buy. I have shot the 19 and I like it a lot, but I reload 45acp and do not own any other 9mm's. I really like the 30 but am wondering how friendly it is to shoot 45acp with a shorter grip.

Is the 30 a carry often, shoot seldom, or is it fairly comfortable to shoot?

Just for reference, I'm used to shooting my 1911's and find them very comfortable to shoot. I don't mind a little recoil, but aside from occasional carry my Glock will be seeing a fair amount of range time and I'l not really into punishing myself.

2. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I think the 30 is a pretty sweet shooter. The one I had was fun at the range, got a sf model because it fit my hand better though. If you prefer 45 I would go with it.

3. bw77

bw77

What's the difference in the standard and SF model?

4. liljojo4711

liljojo4711

sf means short frame. it fits in the hand a little smaller than the regular 30.

5. bw77

bw77

so the length of the grip is shorter? Does it hold the same amount of rounds ?

6. G36shooter

G36shooter

yes it does, the back strap is reduced by about an eighth of an inch. Nice gun.:cool:

7. bw77

bw77

Thanks,I might like that. I'll have to go to my local shop and handle both of them.

Right now I'm thinking G30, OD frame, with night sites. Will decide on SF or not when I get my hands on them.

8. den888

den888

The G30 is a joy to shoot. The G21 even dampens the recoil of the .45 ACP round more.

9. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

G19,G34, or G26 !
    Two of the best 9mm bullets will outperform the best .45 acp, and you will have twice the number of 9mm rounds.
    45 acp's don't perform as well, shot out of short barrels.
    I'd get a G29 before a G30.

10. bw77

bw77

[QUOTE="Cold Dead Hands" !;14774053]G19,G34, or G26 !
    Two of the best 9mm bullets will outperform the best .45 acp, and you will have twice the number of 9mm rounds.
    45 acp's don't perform as well, shot out of short barrels.
    I'd get a G29 before a G30.[/QUOTE]

It's not that I think 9mm isn't a sufficient defense round. I'm all set up to reload .45acp right now. I have a bunch of.45acp brass and bullets already so it would be easier for me to stick with one caliber. If I went with a 9mm it would be a G19.

11. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I can't speak for the 30 however, I do like the 36. I think it is probably more CCW friendly too. Just my opinion as I have a 36 but not a 30

12. Matt Berry

Matt Berry

The 30 is a nice shooter, it is a little thicker then the 19, but it still conceals easily. Right now my favorite for concealed carry is my 26, it just flat out disappears, it's nice. I like it a little better then my 19.

13. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

You won't have a problem shooting the G30. It's accurate and the felt recoil is less than a 1911. Besides, you handload so you can load them down if you want and shoot all day. My favorite range load for my G30SF is 3.8g Clays and a 230g LRN cast bullet. This load will operate the G30 with standard weight recoil spring without a problem. It's a nice shooting very clean load. I DO NOT use the stock barrel when shooting cast bullets. I drop a Lone Wolf barrel in for that. I use 5.3g of W231 with a 230g FMJ and stock barrel. That generates more velocity and recoil and is more in line with factory specs but does not achieve the velocity or recoil of 230g HST and RA45T in my guns. I use this load for "self defense" practice. I never fire less than 200 rds a range trip with my G30 and recoil is no problem at all.

14. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

I agree. My G27 has taken the place of my G30SF for most carry situations. Right now I use a Sparks VMII but I'm waiting on a Sparks I-BAK because I carry OWB whenever possible. I just about always carry the G30SF OWB.

15. Cartouche

Cartouche

The grip is not shorter in length, but in dia, front to back. Holds the same amount of rounds. You can get some G21 mags for extra rounds. I have been using the 30 for a short while and really like it. I would like to have gotten the SF, but got a deal on the 30 but it is not a problem, I have larger hands so it is ok for me.

16. ghostdoc

ghostdoc

I finally caved and bought a Glock 19 after many years of fighting the urge. I have had more people tell me get a Glock when training or just talking guns in general, so I took the plunge. I have fired the 30 and if your reloading 45 I would say go for it. If, as in my case, your low on funds, get the 19. There are other considerations such as concealability and firepower in general, but I think the 9mm is a viable round. Just my two cents! Good luck BW. Doc

17. bw77

bw77

Thanks for all the advice guys!:wavey:

I guess I just need to handle the G30 SF to see if it's a good fit. The shop I do all my gun purchases from is a 40min drive, and I don't know when I'll get a chance to get over there.Just been working a lot lately. I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

18. bw77

bw77

Went to the gunshop yesterday and fondled some Glocks. I have to say, I'm not lovin the G30. It's just way too fat for my taste. Handled the 36 and I like the way it feels but the whole point of my Glock purchase was to get a gun that holds more rounds than my 1911.

So back to the G19, I'm really liking the 19 so it looks like I'm adding another caliber to the reloading bench. I have a G19 RTF with night sites coming in this week at my dealer. I really like the RTF, it's not too prickly to me, of course I shoot a Springfield TRP and I'm used to the super aggressive front strap checkering.

Do any of the RTF's come in OD yet? My dealer said he is getting in a whole S-load of Glocks Tuesday and I did not even think to ask about the OD.

19. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

No RTFs/GEN4s in OD.... at least at this point in time. Sounds like a great choice, BTW. Congrats!

20. bw77

bw77

Thanks! Looks like I'll just have to get another one later on in OD!