Glocks Donated to Hurricane Katrina Ravaged Department: Must be Returned

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 4949shooter, Aug 7, 2015.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I would like some verification beyond a website news report that I've never heard of.

That said, in my experience, auditors are generally pencil pushing anal dweebs with zero personality, and this would not surprise me.

2. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Maybe someone can enlighten me. If the pistols were donated by the manufacturer to individual officers why would they have to be entered into NCIC as stolen?

3. merlynusn

merlynusn

I would say what were the conditions when they were donated. If they were donated to the city then someone dropped the ball 10 years ago. Hard to go back 10 years later and get them back. I dont see how they could be listed as stolen. No intent to steal.

4. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I think the discrepancy is whether or not the guns were donated to the officers or the department. Since the the guns were replacing the officer owned duty guns, one would think that Glock was replacing these and donating the guns to the officers themselves.

5. 4949shooter

4949shooter

True.

6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

This.

Replace the auditor with one that wasn't damaged in Katrina.

Randy

Wil Ufgood and 4949shooter like this.
  7. mntrpr

mntrpr

How can a state auditor demand the return of guns that don't belong to the state or list them as stolen?

Wil Ufgood likes this.
  8. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I was wondering that myself.

Wil Ufgood likes this.
  9. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Since using logic will civilian auditor's is pretty much useless. The chief should simply reach out to Glock and discuss the situation. Have Glock send an invoice for the guns at let's say $5 a piece. Cut the check and be done with it. Last I checked manufactures have no rules in place as to how much they need to charge for their weapons.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Probably right. Glock likely transferred them to the department, which is the easiest legal way to get them to the officers, but the officers figured they were personal guns, since they were replacing lost personal guns in a department where officers supplied their own guns, as many do.

I had to research an issue like this just last week, where a confiscated gun was awarded to an officer by the court, in the 80's, but it was technically awarded to the department for the officer to use. That used to be standard practice with confiscated guns and most of the officers kept them as personal guns, but it was never really legal.

I'm not too clear on how the hurricane made all of the officers lose their guns.:dunno:

fastbolt likes this.
  11. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Pretty common to lose guns in a Sharknado

12. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Sounds like a plan.

13. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

They were treading water and swimming in about 12 to 14 feet of water for about four hours after their police station went completely under water. One of them was a friend of mine who dropped his gun and every other metal thing he had, trying not to drown. Most of them found their guns later, but they had been soaking in salt water and toxic mud the whole time, with no real way to clean them up. Even now, trying to tell people how bad conditions were for many weeks afterwards, is hard to convey and you wonder how many people really believe you. Because, if I hadn't gone through it and somebody tried to tell me about stuff I saw, I'm not sure I would believe it either.

14. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Wouldn't there be a paper trail of 4473's indicating to whom Glock transferred the pistols?

15. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Not necessarily

16. collim1

collim1

That is the issue that came to mind. There might not be a 4473 for each transfer to the individual officers.

The auditor, because he is a Dbag, is making the issue about money and making useless threats to get cooperation.

17. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

If it was me and I was one of those coppers I would wait for them to list the piece as stolen, go out into the gulf fishing and drop it overboard. **** 'em.

Newcop761 and Gombey like this.
  18. oldman11

oldman11

This sounds to me like an auditor thinks he found a way to steal money from the police dep't. Also trying to make a name for himself saying "look what I did" (a start up the political ladder). Oh and by the way slick, it's a little hard to fill out a 4473 form when you're 4 feet under water. Straighten up and fly right, dummy.

Newcop761 likes this.
  19. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Reading that, the State Auditor has no authority over glock and the city, and whatever deal they had, and certainly cannot report the guns stolen since NCIC rules are quite clear on what is required.

Newcop761 likes this.