Glocks at PPC Nationals

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by idpadan, Sep 22, 2007.

1. idpadan

idpadan Guest

I know there are some of you out there - current or former PPC shooters. I live in New Mexico and am planning on shooting at the Police Nationals here in October (hey, why not, its a 30 min drive from the house). I have done some of research and haven't been able to determine which Glocks I can shoot in which categories. I don't have a copy of the NRA rulebook and can't find anything posted online.

Here's what I think I understand:

Stock semi-automatic pistol (max barrel length 5.5 inches) = Glock 34/35/21

Service semi-auto pistol (max barrel length 5.0 inches) = Glock 21

Can't use my 17L because barrel length is too long.

Is there a rule that prohibits the Glock 35/35 because of the open slide design? I know no porting or compensators are allowed but how about open slides with solid barrels?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Morris

Morris CLM

No on the G35. The cut out was not for porting but to lighten the slide to cycle correctly.

Congrats on going to the nationals. I'm still plodding my way through classified. Having fixed sight for a G35 at 50 yards is a challenge though.

If you want to see what can be done with a G21 for PPC, see Robin Taylor's book in which there is a photo of a Daryl Cross G21 group for duty gun. I shoot with Daryl at the local PPC matches. Shooting gnat's sized groups with a Glock is very probable. He proves it every time he uses a Glock 9mm (now) for duty gun matches.

3. Carlitos

Carlitos

I got the impression that a Glock is not really a suitable PPC gun.
    An appropriate gun would be an accurized revolver or the .38 Special Smith and Wesson model 52 (if you can find one - they have been discontinued.) The COF at PPC involves accurate 50 yard shooting. You should use an appropriate gun & special match ammo for PPC - not a duty gun. A duty gun is the wrong choice.

Good luck,

C.

4. Morris

Morris CLM

A duty gun is just fine for the duty gun matches, which go only as far as 25 yards. I shoot my issued G22 with suitable success for the duty gun portions.

5. winder12

winder12

35 is fine for duty gun match as long as it's not ported. It wouldn't be the best choice for the 1500 but if it's all you've got, go for it.

The 5.0 barrel length Service semi-auto pistol is for Distinguished matches.

6. idpadan

idpadan Guest

Thanks for all the good advice. I agree that a out of the box Glock is not the best choice for PPC 1500 but it's all I have. I will check tomorrow with the range officials to confirm my G35 is ok to shoot in the 1500 and G21 is ok for stock gun.

Wish me luck - I'll need it!

Dan

7. Morris

Morris CLM

Have fun! I shoot my G35 for the 1500 and my G22 issued duty gun for duty. The gun isn't the problem, it's me.

(As a side note, take a look at Robin Taylor's Glock competition book. He has a photo of Daryl Cross shooting an impressive group for the duty gun portion with his G21)