Glocks and Underpowered Ammo--A Story

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DannyR, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Folks,

I bought my first Glock, a Gen2 G19, in December 1996. Up until that time, my only handgun was a Ruger KP95DC. The Ruger has a very soft recoil spring and will run on anything. My brand new G19 would not run on my light Ruger reloads, range reloads or Carroll factory reloads. I was about to give up on it and told my dealer, Blue Ridge Outdoors, about the problem. The dealer gave me a box of Blazer 124-gr FMJ ammo and suggested I give the Glock another try. WOW, 100% function, but all my shots were low/left--that's another story.

I had been reloading the lightest 115-gr reloads found in the manuals, so I switched to maximum loads, which functioned 100% in the Glock. Range reloads and Carroll reloads never would work in my Gen2.

Fact: New Glock recoil springs will soften up after a few hundred normal rounds. My Gen2 G19 now functions 100% with my very light 147-gr reloads, or did until I finally replaced the recoil spring assembly after 75,000 rounds. Now it's time for another few hundred rounds of Blazer 124-gr ammo before Saturday's GSSF match in Oxford, NC.

A new Gen3 G17, G17L and G34 would not function with my 147-gr reloads at first, but all were flawless after a few hundred rounds of 124's. My new Gen4 G19 has been flawless with 124-gr and 147-gr factory ammo, even flawless with Winchester USA 115-gr ammo

Glocks do not need to be broken in to function with full power service ammo, but there are some substandard choices out there that may require a short break-in period with a new Gen4.

I know that we all need to price shop for ammo, but there are many choices within anyone's price range. If in doubt, buy Winchester USA 115-gr or any 124-gr/147-gr ammo.

And for the dedicated shoppers that think their Glocks should run on anything, don't ever buy a BMW

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. samuse

samuse

You could have just said: "mouse-fart reloads require a softer recoil spring."

3. matt c

matt c

or buy a SIG or HK and feed it all the mouse fart loads you want without issue.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You are so right. I wasted my time, again, trying to post helpful information.:upeyes:

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

The only experience that counts is one's own.
    :supergrin:

6. tech859

tech859 ALE-8-ONE

And get the worst customer service in the industry. :rofl::supergrin:

7. matt c

matt c

no need for customer service when there are no problems.:tongueout:

8. Hebgbs

Hebgbs

Thank you DannyR. I appreciate your helpfulness.

9. TwentyNizzo

TwentyNizzo

My G3 19 has cycled everything flawlessly. Outside of maybe 20 gold dots, it's been run on the cheapest ammo you can find.

Now, my CZ P-01 ran 100% on Tula 9mm ammo which is the weakest 9mm ammo I have ever fired. It makes the walmart federal 9mm feel like full power stuff, a true "bunny fart" load if I ever shot one.

So in conclusion, yes I understand that Glocks require a certain amount of energy to reliably cycle the slide. I see it more of an annoyance than an "issue" per se. And since I know my G3 will be 100% reliable with cheap walmart ammo, I would be dissapointed with the G4 not doing the same. 9mm recoil is light enough to begin with that I don't want a heavier spring if it means lower reliability.

10. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

+1 on that, Danny. You might not have given any new info to the old-boy network, but there's lots of Glock short-timers who are glad to hear that their new baby will eventually recover, and who appreciate your continued help.
    Sonnytoo

11. tango44

tango44

As always Danny your info is right and very appreciated, thank you for sharing and keep on doing it.
    I cannot be more happy with my G19, for me is the perfect gun.
    I can live now only with a G19 an a G26.
    Thank you.

12. G33

A sample of one gun working or not is not significant in a % approach.
    If you are an owner of one that does not work, it is a deal for that person.
    :supergrin:

13. Apprentice

Apprentice

That's definitely not true as a browse of the dedicated Sig and HK forums will quickly reveal.

14. matt c

matt c

I never had any issues...that's all that matters...Oh and I have a Glock 30...also zero issues...

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Exactly. If my G4 19 ever misses a beat and I suspect the spring I will be on the phone with Glock in 5 seconds. But after 700 problem-free rounds I'm not anticipating having to do that. :) I may have them send me the spring anyway, just for spare purposes. It would also be interesting to see if I can tell any difference in recoil or slide racking.

16. G33

My Gen 3 G19 OD has had no problems.
    Must be better than black 4th Gen G19s.

Silly is that not?

Guess throwing rocks at 1911s, M&Ps, etc. is not such a good idea now.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

17. G23c

G23c

dannyR, thanks for the post.

18. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

Thanks for the info. i appreciate all you put into it. THe Blue i put for reasons.
    One i have 2 Ruger's like yours. Go to the CZ forum and you will find a sticky of breaking some CZ's ie. SP-01 among others( NATO Guns) with basically all you keep so politely saying. I would love to come meet you and others at Sat.'s Match its my daughters Birthday, I'll see how far i'm in SC. Third i worked at BMW and know 100's who still do.

BMW's require High Octane Fuel for High Combustion Engines. Lastly never used HK for customer service but had a nightmare with SIG's CS on a couple Navy 226's that were the worst guns i ever owned Period. Have a great Match DannyR. I will look forward to see how you enjoy NC and the Match.

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=22862.0

19. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

I had similar problems with some underpowered 9mm reloads in my Gen 3 G19 and 5" 9mm 1911. They were accurate and would cycle the gun but not enough to lock back the slide on the last round. I added an extra 0.2 grains of titegroup to my next batch and have not had any problems.

20. cole

cole Millennium Member

My Gen2 and Gen3 G19 would cycle my light reloads my G26 will not. Replaced my G19s with the G17; same deal.

Recoil spring weight is critical. You can have the same issues in a 1911 when you replace the old/used recoil spring with a new/heavier one if you've watered down your reloads to the minimum that would cycle with the old/used spring.

IMO the issue many have with the Gen4, and understandably so, is comparing it to the Gen3 in terms if ammo reliability. If the Gen3 eats something the Gen4 chokes on, folks aren't happy. I get that.

The solution to the Gen4 appears to be the use of warm-hot loads. Maybe just in the beginning until the spring wears in, maybe for the life of the gun. That means the cheap target stuff may not run reliably in the Gen4; not great if your goal is to pinch pennies. Defensive ammo is all loaded pretty hot, so no worries there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.