Glocks and steel cased ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Fla Trooper 265, Jun 28, 2020.

1. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

What ammunition does the Austrian military use?
    Odds are it is steel cased.

2. BecauseRallyCar

BecauseRallyCar

Definitely a new guy here, but this is my experience:

I've got a G19 Gen4, G26 Gen5, and a G22 Gen3 that I'm in the process of converting to a G34. The G19 and G26 I bought brand new(in 2013 and 2019 respectively); I've got about 500rd through the G19 and about 300rd through the G26. Kinda low, but I'm just now getting back into shooting after years of indulging my expensive car hobby, haha. The G22 was relatively recently purchased off a friend who wanted to stick exclusively to 9x19 and already had other firearms; I think he may have had about 500rd through it.

I was a little late to the "finding ammo during the 2020 dumpster fire" game and all I could find at the time to supplement my meager supply of 9x19 target loads was a thousand round case of Tula steel cased 115gr. I was taking a gamble but I decided to go ahead and do it. I had a 9x19 Alpha Wolf conversion barrel for the G22 and some G17 mags so I threw all three guns into the mix.

The G19 and G26 ate the Tula up and came back for seconds. Zero issues with either pistol over a couple hundred rounds, though it should be said I have had absolutely zero issues with either of these pistols and they've digested anything I've thrown through them.

The converted G22 on the other hand was decidedly NOT happy with the Tula. First round cycled, second round fired and nothing. Slide failed to lock back and I could not for the life of me get it open. Shooting buddy of mine(active duty soldier who spent some time in the sandbox) helped me get it open, but it took a ridiculous amount of effort as well as manually forcing the extractor off the rim of the casing. It took hammering a cleaning rod against the case to get it out. We inspected the pistol, found nothing immediately wrong and tried the Tula again to the same result. I switched to my short supply of brass-cased 9x19 after that and the converted G22 ran flawlessly. I swapped back over to .40 and tried some of the brass-cased target loads my friend had sold me with the pistol. Again, flawless. As a side note, whatever coating they've got on the Gen3 slide is absolutely amazing; I didn't scratch it with my multitool even when getting my slide open. I've got minor scratches on my G19 and G26 by setting them on a concrete shooting bench at a local range, so on that front I've grown really partial to the Gen3.

After some inspection I noticed that the chamber in the Alpha Wolf barrel has significantly tighter tolerances than the OEM barrels in my G19 and G26; testing with fired brass and steel cases was definitely eye-opening. This experience caused me to fast-track my G34 conversion(currently getting a cerakote job on the slide as well as new sights) as well as pushed me towards getting an OEM barrel for said conversion. I will keep the conversion barrel around, but have made the mental note to not shoot any steel cased ammo through it.

TL;DR: Steel cases worked well through my OEM barrels but failed miserably in an aftermarket .40-9x19 conversion barrel. YMMV.

porschedog likes this.

3. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

The two test casings that came with my Glock 30 were steel. Just sayin.

porschedog, MCCM and ssgrock3 like this.
  4. GlockPolock

GlockPolock

P320 doesn’t like Tula or Wolf at all. It’s a shame too. Boom, jamb, drop magazine. Get wood dowel to push out casing.Fluke? Try again. Same thing. That’s enough.

Super duper Lone Wolf extractor not enough to grab casing.
    Brass all day long in P320. Aluminum also.

DROBIAZG

5. Davers

Davers

I have not used steel cased pistol ammo in my pistols yet , but will at the next GSSF match if I can make it .

BTW
    I have some old 1940's WW 2 45 acp steel cased rd's , so I guess if they were " usable " back then ( I'm guessing for range work mostly ) they will work even better in a Glock .

6. KenB22

KenB22

You cannot use an OEM 9mm barrel if trying to do a 40 to 9 conversion. You need a 40-9 conversion barrel

Chris8111 likes this.
  7. BecauseRallyCar

BecauseRallyCar

This is true if you are keeping a .40 slide on the pistol, which is not my intention. I am switching over to a G34 slide in 9x19 as well as an OEM G34 barrel, extractor, ejector and a few more bits and pieces. The end result will be pretty much a G34 made out of a G22 frame, which is functionally identical to a G17/G34 frame.

8. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Any Glock I have shot ate up steel case in 9mm and .45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buster55 likes this.
  9. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Hate to run steel in guns not specifically designed for it. Combloc stuff is another matter. As always, YMMV.
    BTW, the casing in the last Glock I bought that had one, was brass.
    Moon

10. StraightG48

StraightG48

I have 150 rounds of TulAmmo .40 that was given to me. Never run steel except in guns it was designed for. Now, with that being said, when my supply of brass is gone during a CHTF shootout (which isn't likely), then I'll break it open and carry on.

11. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Here's a photo of Russian SOF training with their G19s, using steel cased ammo.[​IMG]

porschedog likes this.
  12. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

The Ivans are using Glocks?
    Moon

Veesionary likes this.
  13. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Certain units. From the photos circulating on social, they use a lot of US kit: ir strobes, optics, EO Tech holo sights, helmets, helmet coms.

halfmoonclip likes this.