close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glockmeister Sight Tool???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Article2, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Article2

Article2

After tweeking my PM9's Meprolight rear sight the old fashioned way (with a hammer and punch - such high precision ;Q ) I ran across this:

Glockmeister Sight Tool

Does this come close to working with a Kahr? Is there anything like this that does? I'd rather spend the money for the correct tool than a replacement Tritium sight.

Kind of reminds me of the old saying: "When all you have is a hammer the whole world looks like a nail". Don't know who said it but I always try to have a nice selection of hammers to choose from.

2. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

The sight tools (Glockmeister, MGW, et al) work by clamping the slide down in a jig that fits into the Glock slide rails. The Kahr slide is simply too narrow. I've been thinking about fabricating a jig to attach to my MGW tool for that purpose but since my Covert is pretty much POA/POI with my defensive ammo, not a big priority.

There are other tools, more elaborate and intended for professional shops to work on a variety of sights available from such sources as Brownell's. However, these are VERY expensive. One of the constraints with Kahrs (as I also found) is that quite often they pressure fit their sights at the factory to the point where a normally handy person with hammer & brass drift punch still can't drift the sight. Not everyone has this problem, but it occurs often enough. If you're able to drift your sights, you are one of the lucky ones. :)

FWIW, I corresponded with MGW about a jig (before I did unnecessary work) for Kahrs and they advised they'd looked into a Kahr tool just like their Glock tool. However, so far, they haven't proceeded because of the tightness of the Kahr sights. Understandably, they don't look forward to their tool being the blame for damaging a sight. The gentleman at MGW advised me that Kahr had advised him they were looking at a different method of affixing their sights to correct the issue. You may wish to ask Kahr if they have a recommendation for a tool.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I’ll only add this…

I have access to one of those nice & expensive “universal sight tools” that was purchased from Brownells.com… it’s the Meprolight brand. It won’t budge the Kahr’s rear sight at all… you can’t tighten the Kahr’s slide in that unit enough to keep it from slipping. I have the same problem with SIG sights too.

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

So glad to not be alone.... I'm fortunate that my defensive ammo shoots where I need it to. If it didn't, I would actually ship the slide back to Kahr saying "take off my rear sight & just ship both back to me." Then out come the stones/files for the reinstall. As much as I love my Covert, rear dovetailed sights should be drift adjustable by the user & that includes night sights. (This isn't a .577 Nitro we're talking about.) :)

And Article2, you're in good company as to using the "high tech" method of drift adjustment. I went a long time without a sight tool and barely noticed the lack. ^c

5. Article2

Article2

Thanks, Gentlemen. I feel better now. At least my sights will move with a little (make that "a lot") of encouragement. ;f