Glock with Internal Lock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jwizzl497, Feb 8, 2010.

1. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

I saw a Glock subcompact 33 @ a local shop that had Internal Lock in the base of the grip that when turned prevented the gun from being fired. See here....GLOCK

Few Questions
    1) I would not purchase the gun specifically for this device, nor do I feel that it offers any advantage whatsoever but given that I am looking for a G33, is there any reason not to purchase it??

2) Does it add any additional weight as compared to the non-locking models? It is a metail lock in the base, it has to add some weight, right?

3) Does the lock take away anything form the gun, do you think the lock could be a disadvantage somehow? I thought about it failing and locking on someone but I just dont see how that's possible?

4) Do you think the lock provides any advantage??? One possible advanatage I thought of was say someone has to go into a building where CCW is prohibited and would be forced to leave it in the car, i can see where this would be an extra measure of security to have the gun locked.

Like I said, I would'nt look for one with a lock, but being that it has it - any reason not to get it specifically becuase it does have it???

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. AustinTx

AustinTx

I think it's obvious that it will be heaver than one without.

The rest, I don't have the foggiest idea about.

3. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Thanks for these Links. I read them all but they didnt address my questions, specifically regarding whether or not it adds weight. 99% of it was people saying how much they didnt like the lock, I just don't understand why people are so against them. You don't have to lock it, nor does it lock on it's own, so I dont get the resentment.

4. theNAST1EST

theNAST1EST

I can't see weight being a factor whatsoever.

I believe the resentment lies somewhere with the Glock purists. You're supposed to pick up your Glock, squeeze the trigger, and light something up...that's it. An internal key lock? What for? Sure it's handy if you have children, but why would your child have access to a loaded weapon?

I find it relatively useless. Then again, I can only pretend to know what I'm talking about for so long...haha.

5. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

I agree its probably useless. However, if you were in the market for a Glock and found on @ a good price - would the presence of a lock be a reason to not purchase the gun?

6. theNAST1EST

theNAST1EST

Personally, if there were a comparable model at the same price, I'd likely do it. I certainly wouldn't pay extra, however.

7. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

1. dont pay extra because it has that.
    2. take it off immediately. if its not removable...dont buy it.

8. 97guns

97guns

it'd have to be dammed cheap, i absolutely refuse to buy a gun with a lock on it. i bought one before and its the last.

9. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

10. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

^Do you even know what the lock on a glock is?
    It is a key that goes in the spot where the 'butt plug' goes. This unlocks the gun and makes it usable.
    My understanding was that this was an option added so it could be sold in some of the stated in the US that require a safety function, and bleed over from LE an other country requirements.

I have seen them in person, but never handled one. I don't know how the locking mechanism works, but as any extra device, I'm sure it could break. Now, if you unlock it and never use the key, then I do not believe this is a safety that would disable the glock if it malfunctioned.

11. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Even California doesnt require this, and i thought this state was the very worst for stupid gun laws. They require a safety cable, or that it be in a safe. You also aren't allowed to own any magazines, for ANYTHING, with more then 10 round capacity; no folding stocks on long guns; and no flash hiders. Also a new ammo law comes into effect next year, requiring fingerprint and limiting rounds you can buy, so everyone is hoarding like crazy.
    Obviously the next step will be all guns painted orange, along with their owners, plus concrete in the muzzle and the chamber welded shut. hopefully i can move by then though.

I'd sure like to know what states require such a monstrosity as this device, so i don't move to one of them by mistake.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Called Glock and they weidghed one with and one w/o and said it is 3.8oz.

4oz....I think that's too much additional weight.

13. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Yes you can own standard cap mags if you had them before the ban. collapsable stocks and flash hiders are fine to if the gun is configured right..

14. SCC

SCC just me

and you can NOT remove the lock from the frame !!!