Glock wear & tear

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nhglocker, Dec 16, 2003.

1. nhglocker

nhglocker

I'm relatively new to glocks and firearms in general so please forgive my newbieness. I purchased a G17 new and have fired between 350-400 rounds through it so far. This last time I took advantage of the new snowfall to ski out to my favorite practice field and during the course of my practice I clumsily fell and in putting my hand out gave the glock a dose of snow.

I was careful to field strip and clean out the snow and figuring there was no harm done finished firing another 50 or so rounds. Upon returning home I made sure to do a thorough cleaning and noticed what looks like some wear that I never saw before on the breech end of the barrel and in the slide.

I have attached a photo (a little blurry) can anyone tell me if I should be concerned? Thanks all.

2. nhglocker

nhglocker

Here is another photo

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

What's the second photo of?

4. nhglocker

nhglocker

The second photo shows what looks like wear in the form of spots at the breech end of the barrel where the shell is ejected.

5. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

It's hard to tell with the pictures, but I didn't notice any unusual wear in the first one, although it was very hard to see...

The second one looks like it might be scuffed a little bit... but nothing too out of wack. Looking at my G30 right now, I don't have any wear like that there, so you MIGHT have scratched it or something when you fell.

If the gun is firing fine and things are working well, I would guess that there is nothing wrong with it. If you have any questions, I would suggest going to a local gun shop or armorer (Glock Armorer would be nice) and show them.

My guess is nothing is wrong... but I am neither an Armorer or a Glock Armorer!!

6. Lashlarue

Lashlarue

When the factory demos a Glock they drive over it with a car, freeze it in a block of ice , dip it in liquid mud the sand and soak it in salt water, and even dropped 150 feet from a chopper on concrete.

They get scratched, the plastic sights get torn off but they still shoot when they pull the trigger!!!!!

A few scrathes or marks are normal. Look at the fired cases ,oooh they have wiped primer marks instrad of a clean dimple!!!

Normal for a Glock. It goes bang when you pull the trigger!!!

Thats all they ahve to do relaibilty, accuracy durability.

I have Colts, S&W's and Rugers but when life is on the line a Glock
    17, 22 or 27 is protecting my six!!!!!!!

The gun goes 100,000 rounds or more. Yeah some Colts do but with how may malfucntions and tune ups.

Gaston Glock was a genius!!!!!

My 2 cents worth.

Lash

;a

7. 132

Looks fine, nothing to worry about.

8. ldunin

ldunin Patrol Division

This is normal wear on the barrel. Put a little oil around the contact areas of the barrel to reduce the wear. I don't care what they say about glock firing dry, any metal to metal contact will wear the metal out. So, use a small quantity of oil during cleaning / reassmebly.

9. HSM ITH

HSM ITH

Your pictures are not of wear. That is BRASS from the cartridge cases. If you look down in the slide at the lower edge of the ejection port it will be covered with brass particles. The fired brass should show a "wipe" mark on the mouth of the cases where they rubbed on the slide on the way out and deposited that brass. The brass accumulates on the slide and is eventually transferred to the barrel side as shown in picture one. The brass in picture two is a little more unusual to see, but it too will eventually show up if you keep shooting without cleaning.

Check this thread for a discussion of this.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185665&highlight=brass

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Hard to tell without my glasses. Oh wait, I've got my glasses. Focus _before_ snapping the pictures next time.

;a

11. nhglocker

nhglocker

Thanks all for the reassurance and again I apologize for the blurriness my digital camera doesn't do good close-ups. I keep the 17 clean and oiled and it fires nicely, I knew a glock was a good choice.

12. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

The gun is fine, my only concern is how you snowed it. You were cross-country skiing, you fell and put your hands out, and that put the gun in the snow? Were you skiing while holding the gun in your hand???

If so, consider a holster.

Or were you practicing when you fell? I can see how that would happen. Mentally prepare yourself to "drop" the gun if you ever fall down. This is good advice for anyone with a Glock... if you trip/fall, throw the gun. It can't go off if you throw it, but if you're holding it and your finger is in the trigger guard, you can fire it when you land.

Throw the Glock down!