close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Vs XD

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ihaveaglock17, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihaveaglock17

ihaveaglock17

A pal of mine(a body guard) has a xd tactical pro in 9mm(great gun) however he wants to join the glock nation and wants his boss to purchase a new glock, he wants me to tell him the advantages of glock over the xd, does any1 have this info at hand..

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Well, he can start off by telling the boss that 73% of all law enforcement agencies in the USA, including the FBI issue Glocks. None to my knowledge issue Springfield XD's.

3. Korean Redneck

Korean Redneck

1. Glocks are made from a very reputable place. German and Austria have always been known as great manufacturing and machining places. I think too many people get caught up in the venerable Springfield name. Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud American and gun lover who fully apprecriates the past contributions Springfield has made to this country and firearms in general. However, alot of that is lost today when their 1911's are made in Brazil and XD's in Croatia, neither of place are ever associated with fine manufacturing techinques in general.
    2. On another forum I'mm on, a member is a marine, former cop, and current gunsmith/gun dealer. He recently went to a Springfield Armory class specifically for the XD. He said when he came back that he sold his 2 XD's for more Glocks. You apparently can NOT dry fire XD's for some reason. Which is something the maufacturer themselves tell you not to do.
    3. One thing I never understood, especially with LEO, is why they ever make the XD switch. Glock is real life field tested time and time again all over the world and has proven to be remarkable reliable and accurate. I'm not claiming the XD's are neither. But unless XD's are like half the price, then flip side question should be "Then why should I get and XD over a Glock." That safety argument is null and void to me because that beaver tail safety is always engaged when you have your hand on the handle.
    I'm sure others have see this as well, but I haven't found anyone who can do this with their XD.
    http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90
    or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

4. This is personal but may apply to others as well. I really wanted a subcompact xdm 9mm at one point. What finally turned me off was when I got a chance to test fire one. I'm at a point in my life where guns I buy better fit me and not the other way around. Both xd's that day, a full size XDm 45 and a subcompact 40, the slides would not stay open after the last shot was fired. It definitely had something to do with the way I was holding the gun because it worked flawlessly for the owner. To this day I can't explain exactly why but it did it consistently on me. In a combat/stressful situatio I want to revert back to shooting instinctly and NOT having to adjust holding style for a particular gun.
    I've take dozens of beginning shooter out with my Glock 19. So they are people with no preconcived notions of how a gun should be shot and I've literally had no failure of any sort. The closest thing/issue I've had over thousands of rounds is that one of my 3 clips doesn't always leave the slide open after the last shot. But even that is all my fault because I fully loaded the magazine and lost it for over 2 years so the spring is a little worn. The other 2 mags are flawless even after hundreds of cycles.

I'm not saying XD's are bad weapons. All I'm saying is after going through a good shooting session with a pair of XD's I now appreciate and love my Glcok even more.

Just my $0.02

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

How is that an advantage? It's not like those PD's are going to share magazines or spare parts.

5. Glock4President

Glock4President

The glock is easier to field strip and clean. They were the first polymer gun manufacturer. They don't rust like xdm's do. They rock. The finish is better. I don't like the safety on the xdm's either.

6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Not true.
    HK was. Not an advantage in any case.
    XDs have a melonite finish that corrosion resistant. His friend already has an XD and has likely noted an absence of rust on it.
    His friend already has an XD so I doubt that the grip safety bothers him any more than it bothers me.. Isn't it possible to like Glocks without running down other brands?

7. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

Larger availability of aftermarket accessories and holsters.
    XD is obviously a very reliable gun too, but glock does have a longer track record.
    If service is needed on the gun, parts can be obtained easily and gun can be fixed easily, without sending in to the manufacturer for 6 or so weeks.
    The teniffer treatment of course is a plus for corrosion and rust resistance.
    Some people don't prefer the grip safety.

That's all I've got for now.

If he wants a glock though, he should just buy one. The XD is a fine gun and his boss shouldn't have to pay for a gun when your friend already has a perfectly good gun.

8. Shadow Broker

Shadow Broker

Most of the differences between the XD and the Glock boil down to the shooter. I have owned both (XD40 Service and a Glock 22 Gen 4). I don't have anything bad to say about the XD40, I just prefer the Glock. Both are fine weapons. I find the same issue on gun forums that I find on other forums: people feel the need to defend what they carry. When police departments choose what weapon to issue it is almost always a matter of cost. They pick a lineup of reliable and proven weapons and choose the one that they get the best discount on. I know that in my area, the law enforcement discount on Glock's is pretty sweet.

9. XDRoX

XDRoX

Your thoughts on dry firing are wrong. Dry firing an XD is perfectly fine. In fact you have to, to take it down.

That grip safety could come in handy for negligent fires. For example if a dropped gun is caught mid air by someone that doesn't understand corrrect fire arm safety.

Most police departments buy what they can get a good deal on. Glock gives them that. I don't think this is a bad mark against the XD.

If you google XD torture test, there are plenty out there.

I also prefer Glock and think they are superior to the XD, but some of the things you posted just aren't correct.

This is why I like the Glock better.

-More aftermarket parts readily available
    -Better finish
    -Lower bore axis (this is why I really like them more)
    -Black mags (not that important, but still a plus)
    -No grip safety (it bothers me that the gun can not be cocked without the grip safety engaged)

10. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

I'll add that with that many LEA's trusting their "Lives" everday" with a Glock speaks volumes of how well it is perceived. There are so many other reason's this thread if is not de-railed will show very quickly all the positives since the pro's far out weigh the con's.

11. tonyparson

tonyparson

Well something on the XD is bothering his friend , his friend is wanting to get rid of his XD and get a Glock..

12. SamMan23

SamMan23

it seems that most non-glockers complain about grip angle and support generally anything but glock. I used to be one of those guys and owned an XD. In fact it was the first gun I've ever owned. I sold it because of financial reasons but still think well of them. But now I want a glock. I think glocks have the best factory triggers of all the polymer guns.

13. tonyparson

tonyparson

I agree with you on all this..:thumbsup:

14. rahulanand1130

rahulanand1130

he should tell his boss he is more accurate or comfortable with the glock and in his line of work where he is more likely to have to use a firearm than the average joe he feels more comfortable with a glock than the xd and would be able to perform better with it. I doubt his boss could really argue with that. I don't own an xd but to my understanding xds are quality guns as well and it really just boils down to what you prefer.

15. Korean Redneck

Korean Redneck

Just to clarify, I am not advocating or discouraging dry firing an XD. I am simply passing on information that someone said they recieved in a class to become a Springfield Armeror class from the manufacturer themselves.

16. hoffy

hoffy

I have both, but more Glocks. The frame rails on the XD are curious,2, big and large right in the middle,( the rear rails are polymer) where the Glock has one little one on each corner, I would guess better in the long run. I have an older XD 357 that has been shot thousands of times, and carried a lot, especially when I expect to get sweaty/dirty. I carry it then just because i got it cheap. It is holding up well, quite accurate, never jams. I have dry fired mine a bunch(I place a dime on the front sight and squeeze the trigger, a good drill). I have had to clean rust out of the magazine latch several times, but no big deal if you keep up on it. The biggest advantage for Glocks are inexpensive parts, build quality, trigger(slightly) and ease of detail strip. The XD was a commercial failure the first time around as the HS 2000, shows he importance of marketing. I have friends who sill refuse to believe the 1911 Springfields were made in brazil. Have not shot one lately so I do not know if they still make them there. Both are in my carry rotation, though Glocks get carried the most, along with HK, SIG and the XD. I would use the parts, ease of detail strip, rail set up and trigger & reputation to sell a glock over XD, but personally, either will do..... and I really think HK beats them both except for cost.........

17. writwing

writwing

LEAs buy for price.

18. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded

They are both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat.

Glocks are a tad lighter across the board, compared to XDs.
    Easy "do it yourself" mods with Glocks, don't know about XDs.
    Accessories are everywhere, but the internet is your friend for accessories anyway.
    Can detail strip very easily. Even I can do it. I do not know about XDs though.

That is pretty much it. Most modern firearms from well respected brands can do most anything else to similar standards.

19. Glock4President

Glock4President

yes the glock was around well before the xdm, so they have a lot more time in research and development. It matters a great deal. The grip safety is cheesy. The only reason they put it there is so they wouldn't get hit with copyright infringement. I'm not running down other brands, the glock is just a better product. And yes the xdm' s have been known to rust badly on people, so you thought you were smart or something? No its just fact, bro.

20. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

You can't be serious...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.