Glock vs XD and others

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by SIG-SOG, Feb 23, 2010.

1. SIG-SOG

SIG-SOG

It appears to me that most other guns like XD just to pick an example are "top heavy" looking. Meaning the slide and frame are higher up above your grip as compared to a Glock. Seems to me that this would make the Glock a much more stable platform to shoot. The XDs to me just look so top heavy and seem like they would be more difficult to shoot. Don't think I have seen to much discussion on this aspect when comparing different guns. Is there any significance to this difference?

2. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

People throw the term bore-axis around and describe XD's as having a high bore axis leading to a little more flip in the barrel when shooting. There are many who think that a high bore axis has very little to do with controlling flip while others who say that a lower bore-axis leads to a more controllable weapon. From personal experience, it's all in how the gun fits your hand and how you are holding it.

3. bambikilr

bambikilr

I agree with you JoeInKS, it does have a little to do with it, but not enough for 90% of people to notice..JMO

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have Glocks, XD's and M&P's and they all fee and shoot great. I had an HK USP and it shot great too, but it didn't fit my hand as well as the other 3 mentioned.

5. Jeebs40

Jeebs40

I just bought a G22 not too long ago. I did check out a few other guns like an XD, and a M&P. I personally didn't like the feel of the XD at all (not to mention it's gotta be one of the ugliest guns I have ever seen) The M&P on the other hand I liked more than the G22 I bought. I bought the G22 for the simple matter of $$. I think only time will tell the longevity of the XD or the M&P.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

The XD actually has two strikes against it for controllability. It has a higher than normal bore line and a heavy slide. The high bore line does give the recoil forces a "longer Lever" to act on your hand. The heavy slide means it has more reciprocating mass to keep under control.
    As others have said these can be alleviated greatly if the gun fits you well. For most a gun with these attributes will recoil more than a gun without.

7. jlavely

jlavely

I think that you will find that Glock has one of the lowest bore-axis measures of almost everything out there. Though I like my Glock, you have to step back and look at the general population. The majority is using a higher bore-axis. That being said, I don't think that it as big of an issue as some might make it. Personally I prefer a lower bore-axis because I am used to it. I tend to stare into the hammer of a sig or hk when immediately bringing it to POA.

8. J. Parker

J. Parker

The whole "grip thing" is WAY overblown and a bunch of bull-pucky. I like/own Glock's, Sig's, H&K's, Beretta's, and Ruger's. That's a pretty good cross-section of grip's and make's. I go behind the shed and shoot my G21 followed by an H&K USP40. Different grips, different "bore axis" (I like that one) and no big deal. Get over the grip thing.:faint:

9. XDRoX

XDRoX

I also don't mind the grip differences between the XD and the glock. The bore axis I do however. I much more prefer the lower bore axis of the glock over the XD. The XD as many other makes it feel very top heavy to me. This is my biggest complaint regarding the XD when comparing it to a glock.
    The low bore axis just seems to melt into my grip, plus I shoot glock better.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  10. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

I vote Glock>> M&P>>>>> XD's

Also I dont think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

As far as grips go, I don't like the grip on my G20, but with 15+1 rounds of 10mm I can live with it. I have looked into a grip reduction though. That's why I don't have a G21. The grip. And there's a ton of high cap .45's out there to choose from, as well as having quite a few 1911's. It's all a personal choice. All the guns being talked about in this thread are great guns.

12. BgDnTx

BgDnTx

Glock Glock Glock

13. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

The reason I originally purchased my Glock 30SF was to compare it to my XD .45 Compact. When it comes to shootability here is what I noted.

The felt recoil is about the same for both guns. Although the bore axis of the Glock is noticeably lower than the XD the XD has a heavier (Noticeably) recoil spring and heavier slide. Due to this combination that XD sucks up more recoil than the Glock making up for the higher bore axis. I can shoot equally fast and accurately with both pistols.

14. Lawman90

Lawman90

I've noticed this as well, I used a friend's G30 at the range one time and he used my XD45c. The G30 is nice, I just prefer my 45c though. It's certainly much heavier than it's GLOCK equivalent(s), but the recoil on it is very tame.

Back to the OP though, the XD shoots fine for many, just like the GLOCK shoots fine for many as well. It's all in the shooter, as cliche and over-used as that phrase may be.

15. ambluemax

ambluemax

Honestly the XD is probably the most ergonomicly superior design of pistol made within the last 30 years (the 1911 is amazing, but we won't go there). I don't think the XD is top heavy at all, it rides in my hand the best out of all the current high-cap wonder 9 designs. Shootability is simply outstanding. The only gun I've shot where the bore axis was noticably high for me was the sig 226/229. I love holding sigs, but when its time to get down to business with them we just don't get along.

I owned an XD a few years before I bought my first glock because of the ergonomics. I just recently bought a glock because the trigger system grew on me (I like the crisper break and reset inspite of the heavier pull) in addition to the glock cool factor.

To equate the two to tactical carbines, I think the XD is like the AR in that it was designed ergo's first, function second and the glock is like an AK tough as nails function and reliablilty first with shooter ergonomics taking a back seat. Vague analogy, don't read too far into it.

Yes the glock has a lower bore axis, but the ergonomics package as a whole is second rate to the XD IMO...but YMMV. Honestly the differences are subtle at best if you shoot them all with any regularity. I can jump back and forth between 1911's, glocks, and XD's all day and I'm proficient with all of them. If one system works better for you, go with it and make merry.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

To throw another pile into the fan,.......

The XDm is OUTSTANDING!
    However, due to parts availability, custom accessories,....I prefer Glock.
    But the XDm is as ergonomic as it gets!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  17. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Is there much in the way of aftermarket parts available for the XD's?

I would be curious to hear if the "M" models are actually more accurate than the standard XD?

18. tx787

tx787

I think if you're talking ergonomics and shootability it's really a personal thing as there a lots and lots of different sized people with different sized hands. For whatever reason the XD feels very top heavy to me, almost like it wants to fall down on its side and when I grip it I tend to grip it too low, but that's not to knock it in any way, it just doesn't fit me.

The Glock was a much better fit but I do tend to point it at an upwards angle compared to others like 1911's and Sigs.

I don't know enough about the bore axis debate but if you just look at an XD and a Glock side by side, especially the compact and subcompact models it seems like there's a lot more mass above the rails on the XD than the Glock.

19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

There is a good bit, but nowhere near as much aftermarket support as Glock.

I have had both,......I believe the XDm is more ergonomic, thus leading to a better grip.
    The better grip, in turn, led to greater accuracy

20. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer