close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock vs Springfield

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Neocon, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Neocon

Neocon

Who delivers the goods.
    I've read a lot of poeple saying the XD points better, but the finish sucks.
    One thing that really may make a difference is barrel replacement.
    Can you swap the Glocks barrel from 357 to 9mm. If so practive would be a lot cheaper.
    So the question is can you replace the barrel on a Glock 357?

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Fereral makes a 9mm conversion bbl for the G31. You still need to by 9mm mags. You may also want to get a 9mm extractor.

3. thooks

thooks

There's nothing wrong with an XD. Don't beleive everything you read.

If you want a 9mm, buy one. I wouldn't spend $500 on a .357 Sig and have to turn around and throw $200+ at another barrel and magazines and ammo for it. You are over 1/2 way into a good used 19.

4. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250 Silver Member

I had an XD-357 for awhile. I had mucho problems with it not wanting to lock in battery. Youd be shooting and have to take your hand and smack the slide on into battery occasionally. A lot of people kept saying it was the ammo, so I tried different ones. WWB, UMC, and Federal JHP's, all the same result. I traded the gun off because I got tired of $%#^$&@ with it. It was very accurate in my hands, and the grip angle was perfect for me, but even if SA had fixed it, I just had too many problems to ever trust it with my life.

Oddly enough, I saved all that "bad" ammo as my XD friends called it. When I went to get my G32, I took that ammo with me. I carried the gun out back and ran every bit of it through it just as fast as I could. After I didnt even have the slightest of a hiccup, I went in and made the deal.

Edit: My XD's finish was as finicky as the rest of the pistol. I oiled it every time after carrying it. After I traded it in, it rusted in just a few days of lying in the gun shop counter. You could see every finger print where people had handled it. Im not bashing the XD's by any means, as I said it was very accurate, at 7 yards I was making one 1.5" hole. I gave it a fair shake, because it did point naturally for me, but I would never own another. I think the big problem is the striker system. The striker spring is constantly pulling back on the slide, and it doesnt take much pressure at all to knock the gun from battery. It would come out of battery when holstering unless you held your thumb on the slide. If they would alter that setup, I would buy another, in Stainless ofcourse.

5. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I also believe that if you intend to carry a gun chambered in 357SIG.....then 357SIG is what you need to practice with. 357SIG ammo may cost a bit more.....but folks know that going in.

IMO, if you can't afford the ammo, don't buy the gun.

6. PaleGreenHorse

PaleGreenHorse 10mm

....except that they are not made by Springfield, they are made in Croatia and worth half of what they sell for. PGH~

7. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Life Member

Lets not forget to mention that Springfield has decided to not sell parts to ANYBODY. You must send your gun to them for repair. What a bunch of crap this is.

8. DMG1

DMG1

This I did not know ^^

I do know that my buddies XD9 shoots great, just like my G32.

9. mike23

mike23

This is a bit off topic but the Glock is a proven performer-- something to consider. You see very few threads here of people having trouble with their Glocks. Go to 1911forum and see just how may people b**ch about other brands. Glock delivers!

Shooting a different caliber, even a .22 will help improve your marksmanship in general. That being said, you want to shoot enough with the .357 to become proficient so you probably don't need another barrel for a while. If you decide to CCW this pistol, you should be shooting it at least weekly until you are comfortable with it.

I owned a Springfield 1911 and it was very reliable. I don't know much about XD's but I do know I have NEVER had a problem with a Glock.

Just my 2 cents.:)