close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock vs Scherer

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SlammedDime, Dec 9, 2004.

1. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

I apologize if this is a dead horse; however in my searches I haven't really found anything definitive.

I was talking with some people in my CCW class and they highly advised AGAINST doing a 3.5# trigger job on my 23, and that it was strictly for competition. Well, after coming on here and reading numerous threads and such on people that carry daily with a 3.5# trigger, I decided that I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyway.

Question is, should I go with a stock Glock connector, or the Scherer connector? Is there anyone that has had both, or had experience with both that can shed some light as to why one might be better than the other? How many people have had problems with the Glock connector? The Scherer connector? My instinct tells me to stick with the Glock connector.

My reason for wanting the 3.5# connector is that I notice, even through dry firing, that I sometimes end up 'jerking' the trigger, because I can't keep a smooth pull on it, as much as I try. I also plan on doing the .25 trigger job. Any advice for the n00b?

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

I have found that the difference between them is the Glock part gives an easier but mushy break. I like the Scherer for its crisp break. If you are/were a 1911 guy try the Scherer first with the $.25 trigger job. It really makes for a decent pull.

3. RandySmith

RandySmith

Yes: practice. It takes a lot of time, concentration, and correct repetitions of the task.

Randy

4. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I've tried both; additionally, I've tried several of the Ghost products. I carry a G26 with Scherer connector and Lone Wolf Ultimate trigger housing. I also like the Ghost Ultimate, which offers a crisper pull, in my opinion, than the other Ghost products, or the Glock factory 3.5# connector.

The great news is that connectors are inexpensive enough, that you can probably afford to buy several and try them for yorself.

5. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

6. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

Sounds like a plan. Do GlockMeister and/or TopGlock sell the Scherer connector?? I'd rather just drive down to either and pick one up, but I'll order from LoneWolf (or if someone else has a better/different place) if they don't carry them. Also, for the trigger job on the polishing... I already have a dremel... what type of 'bit' should I pick up for it, and what type of polishing cream have most of you used?

7. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

Ok... I did a lot of searching and reading tonight and I think I am going to invest in both a 3.5# Scherer and a 3.5# Ghost Rocket, and see which one I like, and sell the other... or just keep them both and swap them out from time to time to see how things go at the range. Any ups or downs to gettting the Ghost Ultimate, instead of the Rocket?? I like the idea of the over travel limitation of the Rocket. I'll have to do some dry firing tomorrow with my stock 5# in my 23 to see how much over travel I have. I'm too tired to remember right now, and I don't feel like pulling it out of my safe... heh. And another question... do the Ghost connectors need to be polished as well in the trigger job, or are they already polished to satisfaction?

8. WalterGA

The Ghost connectors I've used were already shiney, but I polished 'em a little, anyhow. I use Simichrome polish and the cylindrical, soft, polishing wheel on my Dremel. It's the white polishing wheel that requires a screw for attachment to the mandrel.

Some folks also like Flitz polish. I've been using Simichrome forever, and just a small amount is required. I inherited a tube from my father, when he died in 1981, have polished a lot of Glocks' firing mechanisms since then, and still have about 1/2 tube left. :)

I liked the overtravel feature of the Rocket, but didn't like the mushiness of the pull. The Scherer or Ghost Ultimate give the best pulls of any connectors I've tried, so far. I'd warn against the Alchemy Arms connectors. They're worthless.

9. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

Thanks for your help Walter. I did some dry firing on the 23 this morning and it doesn't appear that there is a terrible amount of over travel, and I was able to keep a sight picture as the firing pin dropped, although I am still slightly 'jerking' the trigger as I try and pull it, so I'm just gonna go with the Scherer connector. :cool:

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you are having trouble holding your sight picture while dry-firing, you may be gripping the frame too tightly with your strong hand.

11. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Scherer's parts look like they're made in his garage. The one I received had burrs on it. Scherer is crap. However, Walter obviously has good luck with them and likes 'em.

On Walter's recommendation I am trying the Ghost ultimate but I have always used the Glock factory #3.5 and like them. Glock factory connectors are stamped out and tolerances vary, like all Glock parts. Best thing to do is buy minimum of 3 and see which you like bestk, then sell the rest. There is a difference from connector to connector.

12. WalterGA

Yeah, I've heard this same "song-and-dance" many times before from Striderglock. I've bought, literally, several dozen Scherer connectors over the years and have never seen one with a burr. (not to dispute that Strider didn't find one with a burr) Scherer connectors are also NP3 coated, which gives them a dull finish. I polish them anyhow, and have been 100% satisfied, with not one failure in waaaaay over 100,000 rounds fired.

Many of the Scherers that I've bought were installed in friends' Glocks...not one complaint so far, but plenty of compliments and "thank-you's". :)

FWIW, I generally agree that Scherer products aren't first-drawer; eg., their mag bodies. However, their connectors seem to be the exception to the rule. Strider has posted many times about how Scherer "steals others' ideas, blah, blah, blah", ad infinitum. Looks like a personal vendetta of some kind to me. ;)

13. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

No more than any interest you might have for them with all your promotion of his product. ;)

14. VMIGlock34

VMIGlock34

I've been using a Ghost Rocket on my 34 and I love it. Extremely crisp break and a consistent pull all the way through. Who could ask for more?

15. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

16. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

Yea, I'm gonna order a scherer tomorrow... so once it comes in, we'll see how she goes. Thanks for the input guys. :)

17. WalterGA

Contrary to what I suspect about you, my only interest in the Scherer connectors is their excellent performance. I get mine from Brownell's, and don't have a clue who owns/runs Scherer, nor even how to get in contact with them.

18. WalterGA

Well, when I met Arthur Viani, Ghost owner, in person a few months ago, I asked him that same question. His recommendation was the Ghost Ultimate. He agrees that the GR is a little mushy, but said that his marketing surveys of Glock owners revealed that Glock owners actually prefer a little "mush" in their triggers. Arthur personally fit a GR in my G17, but I still found the pull to be mushier than either his Ghost Ultimate or my Scherer.

I also have a Ghost Tactical that I haven't tried yet. Could be that it's a little heavier than what I'm used to, but that it pulls a little crisper than the GR.

19. Hkps1

Hkps1

Please see my post in this section marked Scherer. I now have bought 11 of them, and you can read for yourself what I think.
    Even got one of my died in the wool 1911 race gun friends to shooting his G17 after setting it up the same as mine. He is now getting ready to shoot USPSA Production and Limited Class with his G17, while giving his trusted 1911 a rest. This is a man I have been shooting with since it was called NRA action pistol, and he has never shot anything but highly customized 1911s.

20. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

It has been ordered... ordered it today from LoneWolf, so hopefully it will be here next week. :D