GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I have both, shot both, carried both on duty and am an armorer for both.

Glocks are substantially easier to work on. But for me, the ergos of the M&P .45 Full Size won me over. Glocks gave me slide bite and trigger finger. The M&P didn't. The 2.0 trigger is substantially better than the 1.0 and S&W has continued to improve the platform and very early QC issues. That being said, my G17 Gen 5 MOS has been a very comfortable gun to shoot.

Reactions: pgg00 and fastbolt

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I was issued an M&P 1.0. I never had any rust issues on it and it shot great. I liked everything about it better than my Glock. I still hate the disassembly process on the Glock.

When the rust issues came out we all got new guns. I honestly don’t know if they were improved 1.0s or if they were the 2.0s.

My only complaint was that when I use 180gr in my M&P40C it seems way more harsh than the 165gr ammo. My 40C is a 1.0 as well. No rust issues with it even after 12+ years.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We were rumored to be going with the M&P45 from Glock 22/23s. My first M&P was a M&P45, It was a tackdriver, ate anything pit thru it, had a crappy trigger (to be fair, it was a 10+ Lb Mass Compliant trigger) and the slide was covered in "divots" and "tears", with a few rusty areas. When it was being machined, the cutters must have been dull and left marks all over it. S&W just added the finish right over it. It was bizarre. Worse than a late-war German P-38 or K98! Glock would never had let anything like that out of the factory.
We did test the M&P40 against the then new Glock 22 gen4. The Glock 22 had 8000 rounds put thru it in 2-3 weeks by shooters coming to qualify at our range, without a bobble. The M&P40 "broke" on the first mag. The slide lock broke, tying up the gun. The S&W rep fixed it and the test continued on. It broke again after 4500 rounds, unk what that issue was, maybe the slide lock again. Everyone who shot it loved the ergos, hated the trigger. We stayed with Glock.
The M&P is a nice gun, sadly it's not up to Glock's level.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I am a die hard M and P lover . Have had M and P’s since their launch. Have two M and P Ar’s as well. My original full size 9 did have some pitting, my 9C never had any and still is mint and that’s my off duty EDC. I sent The full size back to Smith and they sent me back a fresh slide.

I love the trigger and ergonomics of the platform. The trigger reset compared to Glock is definitely slower , but the break/stack is much more my style, it’s not as hard. My 1.0 trigger is butter after breaking in. I am not a match competition shooter so I can’t compare it to that , but as far as a duty trigger it’s been my fav. I also own the shield 2.0 , compact 2.0 and full size 2.0.

The new 2.0 trigger is def noticeably different. I could really tell when I was dry firing in the showroom squeezing it and target/bullseye shooting, but at work training and shoot house stuff quite frankly I didn’t see much change. I picked up 2.0’s because the gun craze was going nuts , and I got top dollar for all my old retired “safe guns”. I’ve been carrying the full-size 2.0 on duty for 6mos now. Quite frankly the grip texture on the 2.0 has become more of an annoyance. I am actually contemplating swapping back to my 1.0 selling the 2.0 and transferring the funds to an AR Pistol it’s that annoying. I thought the 1.0 texture was little smooth , always had griptape/ladder tape on there. But I feel the 2.0 texture is overkill. Especially on the shield. Carrying that IWB is awful, I put talon grip tape on the to rid the texture, but I still Prefer my original 9C for texture of EDC/off duty.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I’ve had multiple M&Ps. Always liked them. So much so last year I picked up a full size and a shield in 9mm again to have some on hand. They didn’t stay though. Even though overall I like the M&P, Glocks, along with my P365s, are my go to.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
725 Posts
My thoughts:

- M&P grip angle > Glock grip angle.
- The grip texture of the M&P 2.0 is far too aggressive for IWB, so Glock texture > M&P texture. If you don't carry IWB, M&P texture > Glock texture.
- Glock trigger > M&P trigger.
- With the much greater parts availability and simple design of the Glock, you can keep a Glock running yourself for pretty much forever. M&Ps are harder to swap parts and may require a trip back to S&W.
- M&P looks better to me, particularly in comparison to Gen5 Glocks.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Glocks still have the ergonomics of a 2x4 and ole Gaston seems uninterested in addressing it. Given a choice, a M&P 2.0 would be a strong contender to replace my Glocks. I'd also consider a Sig P320. It's a very personal choice, but for me almost every duty sized handgun made by a major manufacturer in the last decade surpasses the ergonomics of the Glock in my hands.

After over a decade of carrying Glocks I'm very married to the platform when it comes to holsters, mags, etc., but I'd like to give something else an honest run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I had Glocks almost my entire career and my M&P work experience has been with my off duty shield. But what has been the general experience with the M&P line which seems to be the only platform that directly compares to the Glock and it’s different models . Glock 17 to full size M&P, Glock 26 to M&P 9C, etc.
What has been your experience with it. Does the M&P hold up as well as the Glocks do over time?
Actually, if you try out the Beretta APX, you’ll find it’s better than either of them.

If I had to pick between the two I’d go with the M&P although you have to replace the trigger.

You could also check out the FN509. It’s a quality weapon as well.

·
NRA4EVR
11,458 Posts
I’ve thought about switching to an M&P, but when it comes down to it, I’ve been carrying and shooting Glocks since 1990, and shoot them really well (including 294/300 on the FBI bullseye course using a G22 with the eight-pound trigger). If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
A very good friend gifted me a M & P Mini 9mm Shield, as I am an old guy, the thing is so difficult to charmed a round in. It sits in closet collecting dust. I am sure if I was 20 year younger it would be fine.

I honestly think Glock sare still my go to because they are more friendly for me. My age is 70+, so let say my body does not work like a young guy.

The gentleman who gifted the Shield is 88 years young, he packs a Sig 365, he chose it because it work for him.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts

·
Free Full Clip!
17,129 Posts
I've compared a Glock 43 side by side with two S&W shields, a 9mm and a 40, shooting all three. The shields both felt better in my hands but were slightly larger and I like the smallest gun possible for concealed carry. So If I were to chose the larger gun I'd chose the 40 shield because I like 40 caliber better than 9mm.

But if I had to chose between the 9mm Shield and the G43 I'd pick the Glock, not just because it's smaller, but because I'm more familiar with Glocks and I'm used to the triggers and I like how they field strip and they're easier to work on.

And as far as the ergonomics, if the gun doesn't fit your hand, learn how to adapt and make your hand fit the gun.

The other thing I like about the Shields better than the Glock is that S&W offers factory OEM extended magazines for their subcompact guns and Glock does not. And because I want the most compact gun possible I would probably never carry the gun with an extended mag but I'd very much like to carry one as a spare. I absolutely do not trust aftermarket mags and extensions

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
That’s a model of gun they don’t make anymore. It’s not the FN509 design.

Glock keeps selling junk though:
https://www.courant.com/community/e...0200728-o7pcbb277zgidjneyo4fvf5d64-story.html

https://www.wdrb.com/news/bardstown...cle_6b5e3c72-7368-59d0-9078-1e0bf89d47ee.html

But.... the Beretta APX is the best of all options.
From the article:

“My members have guns with sights cocked to the side and are being told to aim to the right of what they want to hit,” Officer Frank Iacono wrote in a recent blog post. “This is completely unsafe and unacceptable and should’ve never been allowed to happen.

L-O-****ing-L. The sights are adjustable. Put them back in correctly, problem solved.

88 guys and no issues with Gen 4 or 5 17s here. Even though a lot of them try to blame the gun!

The second article doesn’t go in to much detail but that’s likely from placing weapon lights on the guns and flexing the frame, that was pretty common in the late 00s. We had zero issues with the .357 sig.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
... What has been your experience with it. Does the M&P hold up as well as the Glocks do over time?
Glock or Glock Clone or Glock Knockoff.

I choose Glock and Glock Perfection. I was a big S&W revolver fan in 1979 but S&W has been a day late, a dollar short for forty years on the autoloader business. JMHO :cop:

·
NRA4EVR
11,458 Posts
That’s a model of gun they don’t make anymore. It’s not the FN509 design.

Glock keeps selling junk though:

https://www.courant.com/community/east-hartford/hc-news-east-hartford-defective-police-guns-20200728-o7pcbb277zgidjneyo4fvf5d64-story.html

https://www.wdrb.com/news/bardstown...cle_6b5e3c72-7368-59d0-9078-1e0bf89d47ee.html

But.... the Beretta APX is the best of all options.
Okay, so one department has crappy instructors, and the other article is from five years ago, regarding wear and tear on 15 year old guns.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
“My members have guns with sights cocked to the side and are being told to aim to the right of what they want to hit,” Officer Frank Iacono wrote in a recent blog post. “This is completely unsafe and unacceptable and should’ve never been allowed to happen.

L-O-****ing-L. The sights are adjustable. Put them back in correctly, problem solved.

88 guys and no issues with Gen 4 or 5 17s here. Even though a lot of them try to blame the gun!
We had that here too. Usually a management type retires and gets hired by a Distributor and they come back to visit management type buddies and want to change the Department's firearms so he can get a decent commission on the sales. :cop:

·
Why so serious?
64,735 Posts
Okay, so one department has crappy instructors, and the other article is from five years ago, regarding wear and tear on 15 year old guns.
Damn the Glock! :rant:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Reactions: Ohio Cop

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Never cared for the Sigma trigger on the M&P’s. Really hate the anti-auto forward slide stop on the M&P 2.0.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
Never cared for the Sigma trigger on the M&P’s. Really hate the anti-auto forward slide stop on the M&P 2.0.
One of the changes to the 2.0 pistols was to introduce the additional frame-mounted spring tension system, to keep the slide stop lever from being bumped down and the slide going "auto-forward" when magazines were inserted "robustly". That was one of the complaints they received from some LE users of the original ("1.0") series guns, so they introduced the additional slide stop tensioning device/design in the frames in the 2.0's. (Which also required a change in the slide stop lever spring tension in the 2.0's.) The 9mm 2.0's got the red-painted wire spring, which is one of the original (early) slide stop lever springs used.

If I recall right, they originally started with unpainted (.40/9.), then red (9), blue (.40/.45) and then yellow (.357's, and then some .40's, being the heaviest tension wire spring). The yellow spring was eventually adopted across the entire caliber line in the original (1.0) M&P series pistols.

While I've done 5 armorer classes for the standard M&P Pistol and another class for the Shield, I didn't attend the M&P Pistol 2.0 class a while back. I only know some of the changes (and reasons for them) in the 2.0's because of what little we were told (in advance) in my last standard M&P class, and listening to the factory and an armorer who did the 2.0 class.

Since the "1.0's" are going to remain LE model guns for at least a while in the foreseeable future (the CHP only wanted the "original" models, since they'd been undergoing revisions and refinements for 10 years by the time they were replacing their TSW's), and the catalog still lists the original models as LE Only, and the M&P's I own are the original models ('08 & '10) ... I didn't see the need to go through the 2.0 class. At least not yet. Unless the Roster is ever overturned in CA (and takes the microstamping with it), I won't be able to buy a new M&P 2.0 pistol in this state, so I don't quite see the need.

I like to keep up on the Glock classes because they still discuss the Gen3 and older guns, and while they're soon dropping the Gen4's, they don't seem in any hurry to drop the Gen3's (which is all I can buy in my retirement here in CA, without a peace officer exemption).

21 - 40 of 48 Posts