close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock vs Hi-point

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wrangler_dave9, Jun 13, 2012.

1. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9

Hey there. I was hoping to get some honest opinions about the quality/reliability of Glock vs hi-point. I know that I'm on Glock talk and that most of you will lean towards Glock, but I really want to know if Hi-Point is as bad as I've heard. I had a co-worker tell me today that he owns 6 different hi-points ranging from 9m to .40 carbine to a .45, one of them has had about 20k rounds put through it and that it has never malfunctions on him. I was blown away by this. So, can anyone share some similar stories like this? Or is hi-point really as bad I've heard?

Being an American. My greatest blessing.

2. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I don't own one. The reason is the quality of the firearm is very low. If you are just plinkin, maybe. But to rely on a weapon for self defense, I want the best I can get.

Edit to add: There's a reason they are so cheep.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

i've heard a few guys in the LGS brag on their hi-points as they were buying Rugers and Glocks. Most always say for the price they go bang and make them happy for budget guns. I missed a local deal for a used 9mm for $95

4. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

Well, naturally Glock would be the beter weapon for many reasons. Most likely the Glock would be more reliable.

HiPoint guns are made cheaply with almost all plastic parts. That is not to say that they are unreliable, but I sure would not use one for an EDC. My son has one (9mm) and it shoots just fine It hasn't malfunctioned in any way but he hasn't shot it all that much, either.

I would use a Hipoint for a knock around gun and to plink with. I would try to prove it unreliable, torture test it etc...

5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

On par with a Jennings, naw nothing is that bad. SJ 40

6. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

My dad has the 9mm. The 8 round mags are flawless with factory ammo. The 10 round mag malfunctions constantly. I haven't had the opportunity to run any reloads through it yet, but I don't anticipate any problems. For someone who shoots occasionally, or who can't afford much else, it's not a bad gun. They're more accurate than most shooters. Best of all, they're made right here in the USA in Ohio.

7. itstime

itstime

They are what they are (hi-point) Cheap big ugly gun that works. Mine are for fun. Not for defense. Although they never fail.

8. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

[ame]http://youtu.be/xmt5QB814Tw[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/2FoWpog5KU4[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/LKkQm5TRaWE[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/p_HXtEvjlGg[/ame]

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

9. Limedust

Limedust

I've shot the Hi Point .40. It was reliable, at least for the 100 or so rounds I put through it (a friend's gun) and accurate after some adjustment (mine, not the weapon's). However, while general reliability seems good and the company is supposed to be great to deal with if there is a problem, I think you have to consider the ergonomics of the weapon. They are extremely top heavy (more so than any other polymer gun I have used); it was uncomfortable over time to properly grip the weapon for a correct sight picture, and it felt unbalanced in my hand. Muscle fatigue (or at least muscle tension) occurred rapidly and it seemed like I started fighting to keep the muzzle from dipping.

Just my experience . . .

10. Delmonte67

Delmonte67 Glock 40 cal.

Years ago my younger brother's first gun was a 9 mm highpoint, I remember we went to the range- 3 shots- jam, 3 shots- jam, stovepipes ect... yea the price was under a hundred -but it was a horrible gun. The gun shape always reminded me of a battery powered drill, with that bulky ugly grip bottom. I dont even see how you could conceal that bulky lunk of a gun comfortably- lol. That was along time ago, needless to say my brother has moved on to be a Glock/Sig lover. Maybe they have improved in time? Better than no gun I guess. D.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  11. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9

Thanks for the replies so far. This is exactly what I want to hear. I am looking for a EDC CCW (IWB) and am leaning towards the G23, but funds are little short right now that's why I'm asking about Hi-Point. I'm not one to usually sacrifice quality/reliability for cost, but sometimes you just to have to suck it up and deal with the fact that you don't have the dough. Maybe it's just worth it to save up and get the G23 like I want.

My friend did comment on their great Customer Service. He said he did buy one that was bad, he sent to Hi-Point, they sent him a new and he has had zero trouble with it.

12. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

Save up and get a decent gun. I have nothing against hi-point as a fun gun/mess around gun but would never depend on one for defense. I owned 3 of their rifles in 9mm and never had a problem with them. In fact I had a blast shooting them. My only complaint was back then(late 90s) you couldn't get hi cap mags for them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. bac1023

bac1023

Hi-Points are big, clunky, and made from pot metal, but they do work.

Quality isn't anywhere near Glock, however.

14. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

I don't care how many people say their Hi point is reliable, there's no way in hell I'd CCW a $150 handgun for protection.

15. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I'd never CCW one either, but for the right price I'd get one for plinking. Watching those vids make me not even worry about them. If the one I pick up does in deed suck, I'll sell it.

16. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Doesn't the .45 weigh more than a 1911?

17. mingaa

mingaa

I'm Ohio born and want to like Hi Points. Ive been tempted more than once to grab one just to find out first hand what the story is. I'd probably try the carbine but the Sub 2000 is in line in front of that due to the folding feature. Check out Summit for good deals on LEO turn ins and used guns. CDNN too- a good compramise!?
    http://www.summitgunbroker.com/?noredirect

18. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

This is why God invented Lay-a-way. If funds are tight, don't waste what little you have on a Hi-point. Get the 23, you won't be disappointed. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  19. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9

Thanks Gunsmoke. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. Two local shops here offer 20% down with 3 mo. to pay off so I'll probably go that route.

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

From everything I"ve seen of them, they just work. That's really the most important factor to me.

I'm buying one of these at some point... Just because

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012