Glock vs. Beretta

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Half Loaded, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Half Loaded

Half Loaded

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a full size Beretta, maybe in 9mm, to add to my collection. I have never even shot a Beretta, but have owned a variety of other pistols, including several Glocks.

Can you guys tell me your thoughts on how Beretta's and Glocks differ, objectively and subjectively? I realize this is a very open-ended type question...but its a good place to start learnin'

Thanks a lot.

2. grecco

grecco

Both are excellent pistols,
    the main differences are as follows:

beretta is steel and aluminum
    glock is steel and polymer

beretta is a traditional Sa-DA pistol
    glock is safe action

beretta has a external safety
    glock does not.

both pistols are reliable,accurate and easy to care for

beretta has a large grip for some
    glock has a less tradional grip angle

beretta has metal o.e.m sights
    glock has plastic o.e.m sights

bertta has a open slide , some people complained about dirt getting in,
    glocks usually have a gap between the slide and frame,hold it up to the light,you can see the internals, this could let dirt in.

you really need to fire both of them side by side if possible and decide for yourself.

both are high quality pistols , i own both and would feel very well equipt with either.

glock is a very popular police and self defence pistol.
    beretta is one of the world's most combat proven pistol.

the one edge beretta has is if you have a class 3, it is more reliable with a suppressor, it does require the little push back device.

3. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Grecco, excellent objective post. I'll add a few, and assume Berettas other than the 92 as well.

GLOCK basically makes one gun. It comes in different sizes and calibers, and even trigger pull weights, but they are all very much alike and all very much the same. That being said, it is a very popular and successful design.

Beretta makes a variety of guns, with the most popular being the 92 series. They also offer it in a variety of different flavors. For instance, you can get an DA/SA with a safety, DA/SA with decocker only, DAO, and even SAO. They also offer different grip styles with the standard grip and the vertec grip. However, the 92 fails when it comes to variety of sizes (this is where the GLOCK shines and is a pioneer with it's 26/27/33 lineup). Even though they made the Centurion and Compact models, they didn't offer that much difference in overall size.

Beretta also make the Cougar series which is a very fine gun, and was my choice of CCW gun for many years. While the Cougar offered some much better options for CCW guns with the Mini and L models, their full size models came with under 4" barrels.

Today Beretta offers the PX4, and soon to be out PX4 Compact / Sub Compact. Hopefully this will be where Beretta offers up a variety of different sizes and calibers. The sub compact is a good start, but it also needs to be followed by a 5" (or +) "tactical" model.

4. grecco

grecco

Thanks,
    i was assuming the 92,
    when i think beretta i automatically think the 92.

the new PX is a great gun,
    i was able to fire the 9 and 40 ,
    i was very impressed.

thankyou for pointing them out and posting.

5. Half Loaded

Half Loaded

Thank you for the great posts.

How does the recoil compare to a full size Glock 9mm? I see that the 92 weighs in at 34-35 ounces unloaded, and is a longer gun that the Glock 17 (even the Glock 34), so I guess the greater size/weight may help?

Also, do you find you get greater target accuracy with the Beretta 92 or really no noticable difference, on average? I know it depends what you practice with more...

Thanks.

6. Warhorse

Warhorse

I recently purchased a Px4 in .40S&W, This pistol handles the .40 better than my G23 does, of course the grip is a little longer, and holds 14 rounds. The Px4 just feels so good in my hand though, no ill fitting finger grooves to deal with, and it comes with three sizes of backstraps to better fit all hand sizes. The trigger on mine is a traditional DA/SA, however it is a sweet DA pull with a very crip SA let off.
    It could just be a case of new love, but I think this gun gives my G23 a run for the money. Time will tell, The Glock has passed the test of time, I will see if this new Beretta will.

7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

The 92 is not as long as a 34. The 92 has about the same sight radius as the 17. As for accuracy, it may come down to the individual gun. Some 92s are more accurate than others, as I'm sure the same with GLOCK. The 92 trigger may be easier for a new shooter to get more accuracy with, as long as they were using only the single action mode. The DA and especially the DA / SA transition is harder to master than the GLOCK trigger. In my experience, the PX4 is more accurate than both, however it's a little harder to master the shorter sight radius (equal to a G19).

8. whoanelly

whoanelly Guest

If it's to add to your collection you might as well get the M9 model. Then you'll have the official .mil pistol of the last 22 years. You won't regret it.

9. Half Loaded

Half Loaded

That sounds like a fine idea. However, I have been having a hard time finding that on the Beretta web sites (must be in wrong places)...is it current production or now on secondary market? I see some mention of the 92FS as military/police issue? Is that the modern equivalent?

Thanks.

10. whoanelly

whoanelly Guest

Beretta still makes the M9 for sale to civvies; just ask for it specifically at the gun store, they may have to special order it. As for the differences between the 92 and M9, this is from the FAQ section on www.berettaforum.net:

The differences between the M9 and 92FS:
    The M9 usually has a straight dustcover and non-radiused backstrap
    The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap and angled dustcover
    M9 markings (including proof markings and cage # markings)
    M9 lacks the warning to read owner's manual
    The rear sight of the 92FS has 2 dots, whereas the M9 has a single half-moon
    M9 (unless special or limited edition) comes in cardboard box, with no plastic hard case

All model 92/M9/M9A1/96/90Two model barrels are made the same way.

All other aspects of 92FS and M9 are similar/identical. This includes warnings and polymer coated parts.

11. Half Loaded

Half Loaded

This is really helpful. Thanks a lot for the great info.

Anything else I should consider or look for when buying a Beretta? For example, those made in Italy vs. USA...or anything else before I put my money down? I'll look around the boards, etc. a little more too, of course.

:)

12. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Italian vs USA made models - differences don't really matter anymore. SOme guys insist on the italian ones - but I don't think it matters.

I've owned several Berettas over the years. I plan to get an Inox 92 next month.I miss having one.

13. Half Loaded

Half Loaded

14. Running Rabbit

Running Rabbit

My kind of thread.

See my signature line.

:banana: :rofl: :banana:
    :tongueout:

15. igorts

igorts

difference for me was up to the point when i still have my beretta, and glock has found a new owner...they are in different class to compare the two.

16. spober

spober Guest

THE FULL SIZED GLOCK IE G17,22,31,45 ECT Will be noticably lighter!

17. blueiron

blueiron

The Beretta is a smoother shooting pistol. Light perceived recoil and no muzzle flip. It is the smoothest shooting 9mm I own, even more so than the SiG P210.

18. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

The Beretta definitely has less recoil, all that steel is good for something. Also the Beretta's trigger can be tuned / gunsmithed so thats its very smooth in SA.

19. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The 92/M9 is extremely accurate in SA mode. I prefer the Glocks but am issued the M9 (wearing mine right now in fact). The Beretta has a long trigger reach in DA which is a problem for some, and all Berettas tend to be bigger than they need to be for their caliber. However, they've been making guns for 500 years and they generally make a good piece. The M9 has a somewhat thick grip, I think if the Vertec model were issued troops (especially females and us smaller-handed people) would be happier.

Many people in the service with little shooting experience think the M9 has a lot of kick, (it does not) what it does have is more muzzle flip from the high barrel-to-grip ratio, where a Glock barrel is almost right on top of your hand.

The muzzle rise on a M9 is not excessive, about like any other auto of that type of design, but new shooters do tend to think it "kicks" more from that.

20. Mushin

Mushin Guest

I have a little beretta model Mod21a-22lr for close in work!
    I mean close in target shooting! You know.