close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock vs 1911 Grip

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tom Horn, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Tom Horn

Tom Horn Duty & Country

I own Glocks and occasionally shoot my friend's Kimber Pro Carry.

One thing that is a little disconcerting for me is that occasionally when I shoot the 1911 I find myself not depressing the grip safety enough with what I consider my "normal" grip. Obviously the gun doesn't go bang. Again, obviously this is not a problem with a Glock.

However, it seems to me that this problem with the 1911 might be highlighting an overall grip problem that the Glock just masks.

Now I do have large hands and perhaps the grips on the 1911 are just too thin and I would have to have an enlarged grip safety installed on a 1911 if that is the gun I wanted to carry and shoot regularly.

Just curious - anyone else have this problem, what did you do, should you modify the 1911 grip safety or is my grip the problem?

2. Nelybarg

Nelybarg NC Glocker 30

i used to have that problem with my commander occasionally. i installed a grip safety with one of those memory bumps that protrudes out slightly at the bottom. i got mine from wilson
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories/beavertail_safeties.asp

overall, i like it much better than my stock safety. i get a higher grip and i no longer have a problem worrying if the safety is fully depressed or not. hope this helps

3. Tom Horn

Tom Horn Duty & Country

Thanks Nelybarg!! I'll check it out

4. conga

conga Whares ma teef?

You can always have a smith pin the grip safety too. I have seen a few guys at matches with tape wrapped around the grip safety too.

Otherwise - practice is a good thing.

5. Beaten

Beaten Brand X

I had my grip saftey pinned on my Mill spec.