close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock vs 1911 for competition question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jm_usmc, Mar 18, 2004.

1. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

I'm new to centerfire gun competition and I have a pretty basic question. I have a g23 and went to shoot my first match Monday (and indoor league match). All the guns at the match except for two, mine and jls288gto, were 1911's of some type. My question is can a Glock be competitive against 1911's? Are the 1911's inherently more accurate than a Glock?

I own a Combat Commander but made the decision to shoot competitions with my Glock since that will be my personal defense gun. Should I just expect to have a handicap right off the bat? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. G34MAN

G34MAN

What are you shooting, IPSC/USPSA or IDPA? If you are shooting IPSC/USPSA, just shoot production class. You won't be too handicapped with the right loads. Up until last year, I shot Limited class w/a custom SV .40. Now I shoot a G34 in production. I like to compete with the Limited and Open class guys I shoot with because it adds that much more pressure. If I can shoot a stage w/in 2 or 3 seconds of an Open guy shootin' a .38 stupid and be relatively close in points I'm happy. I really like givin' em crap when I beat 'em on a stage.

I guess to answer your question - No, I don't think your G23 is going to be competitive with a 1911 Limited gun. If you were shooting a G35 (or even a 22), I'd say yes and maybe. A 23 - No.

Just remember, if you are thinking scoreboard, compete in Production class. It is a much more even playing field (as far as equipment goes).

Here's a plan. Go buy a G35. Set it up just like your 23 (if you have changed anything on your 23). Shoot the 35 in matches and carry the 23. It's a win-win situation. You will do better at matches (probably) and you get to buy another Glock:cool:.

My experience has been that a Glock is a Glock is a Glock, etc.

Just decide whether you want to be more competitive or more "practical". If you can be happy shooting your 23 at matches, go for it. I like to win, so I give myself every advantage I can and stay legal for Production class.

Having said all of this, if it was in IDPA match, then you will be shooting ESP, not CDP so you aren't competing directly with the 1911 boys.

Now, if you are shooting big bore pistol or something like that, ignore everything I have said cuz it don't apply. I don't know squat about big bore or PPC. I am not a big fan of punching 1 ragged hole in a black circle.

3. Guest

A search should turn up tons of info on the subject of your question. In summary, if you like shooting a Glock, then stick with it. It will not be a competitive handicap. In divisions where legal, shooters using Glocks have won or placed very high in local, area, national, and world shoots for years. Enjoy your Glock.

www.cpwsa.com

4. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The IDPA purest will tell you to shoot your G23. There are two schools of thought here. You either shoot what you carry, G23,19,26,27 or you shoot to win. Shooting to win means using a G34,35,17,22.
    I go to every match with the intention of winning it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
    The Glock 34 and 35 can be just as competitive as any 1911. I actually shoot my 35 better than my .40 or .45 Kimber. The G35 is, IMO, the perfect Glock. One can shoot IPSC Production, Lim. 10 and Limited, also IDPA SSP and ESP.
    The G35 loaded to a 130 PF shoots softer than a 34 loaded to the same PF. I know, I have a 34 and 35.
    One day I hope Bill Wilson will allow my G35 in CDP. I can make the 165 PF in IPSC, but for some reason it can't do that in CDP. Wait did hell freeze over, no false alarm, I thouht I heard someone say my G35 was legal for CDP.

5. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

The only "competition" I shoot in is IDPA. So with that in mind I would say that it is the shooter, not the gun. If your good a Glock will beat a tuned 1911. If your not good, you can have the most accurate, tuned 1911 out there and it won't help. I have had it both ways,I have shot Glock for a couple of years and am now trying out a couple of nice 1911's for this year. I shot my best classifier with my 1911, probably due to the accuracy, and better sights. So, I do enjoy shooting with a 1911. But those things are a pain to CCW and I believe in shooting what I carry, so I'm really messed up because I prefer to carry my G27 or G22.

So, my suggestion, use your G23 for a while. When you get bored with that you can switch over to your 1911 for a while.

6. Zeker

Zeker

The Glock should serve you well for IPSC. I switched from a 1911 Kimber to a G35 mainly because of ergonomics. I don't have to alter my grip on the G35 to hit the mag release button like I did on the Kimber. That and the addition of a Seatle Slug to help with magazine insertion significantly reduced my reload time. The Seattle Slug also added some needed weight. I'm experimenting with a thumb rest to give it a 1911 feel--the jury is still out on the thumb rest.

So far, I don't feel like I'm outgunned with the G35 and the Glock is super reliable.

7. cruiten

cruiten

Based on your post, I am assuming that you reload your own ammo.

Quick question for you then: Are you using the factory barrel or an aftermarket barrel for your G35? If it is an aftermarket barrel, which one?

Thanks,

Cor

8. Joe D

Joe D Guest

Cor, I use the stock factory barrel. Don't buy into the myth that the factory barrel is not accurate or has the dreaded unsupported chamber. My stock barrel shoots golf ball size groups at 25 yds. Yes, I do reload. I also use a 9mm conversion barrel for IDPA practice. I have a 9mm lead load that duplicates the feel of my .40 plated bullet load.
    I use the same lead bullet load in my wife's G34 for practice. It has the stock Glock barrel. I pay $16m for 125 gr lead bullets. I just cleaned the 34 barrel today after 600 rds this week of lead bullets. Guess what, no lead build up at all in the barrel.
    Cor, one thing you will notice about this forum is a lot of people just "parrot" something they have heard rather than use what few brain cells they must have to investigate an issue for themselves.

9. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

I appreciate the info. The competition I shot was a local "Handgun League". I believe it is a less formal shoot held every week just for shooters to have fun and a little competition. I don't believe there were different divisions. The COF last week was 6" paper plates at 50'. I feel that shot is well within the capabilities of the gun. I just found it interesting that out of ~30 shooters I only saw two non-1911's.

Currently I intend to keep shooting my G23 as it is new to me and I intend to start carrying it as soon as my CCH comes in (30-45 days) and want as much time using it as I can get.

Thanks again
    jm

10. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

People compete with 1911's because of their trigger not their accuracy. A 1911 is simply mechanically faster than a Glock. That however doesn't mean you can't be competitive.

11. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Eljay, I have read some of your responses before & have generally agreed with you but I was wondering if you can prove that 1911 statement? It seems to me there are fewer moving parts on a glock, therefore, less time spent between shots is theoretically possible. I do agree most average shooters can probably shoot a 1911 faster but I think that is the shooter, not the gun. However, it is entirely possible I may be wrong. Anyway, I was looking for some tests or studies comparing the two. I am not trying to start a disagreement, just wondering. Thanks, MLM

12. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

The distance the trigger has to travel to reset is shorter on a 1911 than a Glock. And I agree it is the shooter not the gun. There are some people that I can beat shooting a wheel gun against their 1911 and there are plenty that beat my 1911 with Glocks

13. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Thanks eljay, I was just curious. MLM

14. CEM

CEM

My experience:
    I switched from a G23 to a Kimber 1911 in 40 SW. I had to throw out pretty much all of my "glock" brass because the base of the case was bulged and the resizing die would not reach far enough to resize the bulge. I never had a case failure using reloaded ammo in my G23, but it certainly made me wonder when the rounds would not chamber in a fully supported barrel! Just my experience...

15. Joe D

Joe D Guest

CEM, I have never had a problem sizing Glock fired brass. I buy most of my brass from Brassman. Probably 85% of it has been fired in Glocks. I routinely check my match ammo with a case gauge. The Glock brass just falls into the gauge.
    The only brass I have ever had a problem with came from someone's Sig with a really large chamber.
    There is no such thing as a fully supported barrel. Some may be supported a little more than others.
    My Kimber .40 digests Glock brass without a problem. You might want to check your sizing die.

16. auto45

auto45

I have "felt" some Glock triggers, Para LDA type triggers that really close that gap between what used to be known as heavy "double action" triggers and the SA 1911.

In gun games where the targets are pretty close and large, and speed of movement/mag changes are critical, I'm not sure there is any "real" disadvantage between properly modified guns. That may be disputable, but at least the differences can be very small.

As mentioned, shoot the gun that fits you best.