close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock V 1911 reliability

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mud, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mud

Mud

Are 1911's as reliable as a GLOCK
    not to start a war

Rightnow i carry either a G 22 or g 23

i want a 1911 but some times when im carrying my guns get really dirty

Ie last weeked i was carrying my glock 23 and it got dirty riding the quads on dusty trails,got some sawdust in it when i was cutting fire wood, got splashed with river water while conueing

but when i pulled it out at camp it ran like a champ

i have also had my 23 almost forze shut up north cutting wood in the winter and it still ran through 500 rounds

can 1911's do that

i have always wanted a 1911
    i cant get comfortable with the 21

I know 1911's were in wwII and The Nam ect
    just wondered about todays guns ect

thanx

2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Yes 1911's can be very rugged and reliable.... you need to shop for a 1911 that is not a target / tight gun. The origional pistols were made loose enough to function in dirt and horrible conditions... that being said.... the soldiers in WW II depended on a gun and generally kept them oiled and clean for the most part.... the guys in vietnam learned to keep M-16's clean or they could die.... because the M-16 is not a super happy rifle covered in mud....

I would suggest a colt 1991 or a springfield mil-spec model .... stay away from any gun that they are trying to get tight groups out of.... most 1911's have become tighter and tighter over the years and they can be finicky and very very accurate when built that way. The current colt government model is a good compromise between the tight / reliable ideas... remember that a 1911 requires a heck of a lot more oil than a glock.... so keep the gun oily and it will continue to go ker-chunk when you want it to...

3. Yamdog

Yamdog

I have had a Springfield Milspec for 12 years and it has been easily as reliable as my Glock 23. The 1911 doesn't have a guide rod, or competition barrel, but does have a nice trigger and a Brown beavertail.

4. Mud

Mud

Looking at a TLE or a Loaded Springfield i dont like the sights or tirgger on the Milspec

5. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

As I said , you would change the sights on the milspec... the tle should be a good gun to go out of the box as the LAPD chose it for a duty gun.... so they must have it loose enough to function in normal police work.... and those guns are sure not cleaned that often... the trigger is typically changed as you get a trigger job done with a pull to your likeing.... the sear and hammer are normally also replaced during that job...

6. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

Are 1911's as reliable as a GLOCK

I carried a 1911 for 2 years in Vietnam along with an assortment of knives and demolitions. My aging memory fails me right now but I don't think it was a Colt. Maybe a Remington?? At any rate, IF maintained properly it was reliable. I don't think it could have taken the neglect that the Glocks can and function properly though. At present I've got a .45 Colt and a .380 Government Model. Again, IF maintained and firing ammo they like they're 100%. That's the only thing I've got against them now, they're rather particular about their ammo. Personally, I feel that a pistol as costly as these are should function with any good commercial grade ammo. My G19 does.

7. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

Neither the Glock nor the 1911 are prone to failure, but both can. Glock is a Glock. The 1911 is a type of firearm, meaning there are different brands available (obviously); some brands are good and others bad. All in all, it would appear that the Glock is a less maintenance firearm compared to the 1911. Overall, go with the one that shoots best for you as they are both reliable pistols.

8. EX CATM

EX CATM

First off I love my TLE. But it dosen't run well dirty. I've had 2 malfs in the last 310 rounds both after the first 50 in a range session. I have 810 rounds through it to date. I'll start to really wory after I hit the 1000 round mark if I have anymore problems and I intend to try a different lube (have been using breakfree clp). I will send it off latter this year to have it hard chromed if it's not 100% by then I'll have a reiability package doen while it's at Tripp. Unlike glocks 1911's typically need to be broken in and sometimes tweaked but once they are they are very reliable if properly maintained. The glock I've had and have, well they always go bang but I don't get the joy of making them exactly what I want because I can't change a whole lot on one.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

What Quantico said - NOT a tight gun.

Went to SIG school with my G22 almost 2 years ago. The 4 Glocks on the line were the only ones that ran "dry." 1911's were first to lock up. (IIRC, a Gold Cup and Kimber). They put their own lube on it when the inspected the guns.

Do I carry a 1911? Yes. Do I carry it like my Glocks? No. (Carried my G23 last year with a new polartec vest. By Feb 1, it was all a'fuzz. Still ran fine. Was a pain cleaning it eventually this summer, but it ran fine justthesame.)

10. Haycreek

Haycreek

ONLY trust the GI spec 191l's , I have and enjoy 1911's , but I depend on a Glock. In spite of what many of us want to beleive, GLOCKS ARE MORE DEPENDABLE across the board, than 1911's. If you want a 45, get a Glock 37 .45 GAP. look at www.45GAP.com :cool:

11. loandr.

loandr.

LOVE my 1911's BUTTTT NO comparison, the glock is more durable hence reliable.
    Loandr.

12. bgcc11

bgcc11

wouldn't a revolver be the most reliable?

13. rubijeep

rubijeep

revolvers are the most reliable hands down, this is why the only "pocket gun" i have is a .38 s&w snub, i just cant bring myself to trust the small autos, if you can only carry a small gun, it better be reliable. glocks for the most part are reliable and can take a lot of abuse, although mine was the most unreliable pistol ive ever owned, but i think i just got a fluke. 1911s are more prone to malfunction because of more maintenence involved, although none of mine have ever malfunctioned. my colts and springfields have never had a problem of any sort, but my glock stovepiped about every 3 rounds. but the majority of glocks are tough as nails and you have to be more careful what brand of 1911 you choose

14. KNOW 1

KNOW 1

of coolness, I'd say get the 1911. But in addressing the original post; in my many and vast years of inexperience, if you going to get it for a roll in the mud, play in the dirt, jump in the water, climb in the snow toy and then hope it works when you want or need it to, I'd say, go with Glock. (I'm ashamed)

15. gregshin

gregshin

You should also consider a Norinco 1911...

16. Mic

Mic Millennium Member

I abuse my carry guns. I sweet all over them, drag them though the rain, mud, dirt, snow,on and in the water etc. The finish on the Glocks does not rust the plastic frames do not rust the barrles do not rust, etc. they go bang when you need them to, every time. I love my 1911s (SpringField Loaded and Colt Stainless Officers) but I would not put them though the abuse that I put my Glocks though. Glocks are Butifuly Ugly. the best thing about the Glock is its finish. I wish that there was somebody in the US that could do a tenifer finish on my other guns.

17. pangris

pangris Moderator

Of almost a doze top shelf pistols, my Para Ordnance P14.45, gone through cart blanche by Teddy Jacobson, is my most reliable pistol, and the only weapon I own that has never malfunction at Thunder Ranch regardless of the number of rounds fired (and that list includes a full house custom 1911, Glocks 21 and 17, SA M1A, Remmy 11-87 police, and Mossberg 590A1)

18. Ginny

Ginny Ammo Slinger

Mic, another comment on the Glock's finish.

I carried my Glock 21 for over 2 and a half years on duty and off. The big Glock starts off wonderfully ugly and gets better with wear. I have a ton of holster wear and nicks and scratches from knocking it into walls and getting in and out of my car on calls. There are a lot of places that look like bare metal, but not ever a hint of rust. When they say the Tenifer finish bonds with the metal, they know what they are talking about. Now it is prettier than ever and getting better with age, but still protected from the elements. I am putting my Wilson Combat CQB through the same torture now and I hope it will look and protect the same as the Glock in a couple years(fingers crossed)!

19. Mud

Mud

THank you for all the REPLIES

i just want to RE STATE that i was not 1911 bashing as i plan to buy one shortly i was just posing a simple question

when i go up north and im carrying a Gun in the woods,dust,dirt,mud,sawdust,riverwater ect will my 1911 go bang when i see that rabid coyote or hippie. I know my GLock 22/23 will as they have been trhough the wringer on this already I have decided i need to carry a .45 but cannot get comfortable with the 21. I love the way a 1911 feels i just wanted to make sure it was 100% if it got a lil nasty

thanx

JIM

20. WJR

WJR

Get a Colt and upgrade the sights and trigger to your specs.

The new Colts are very reliable and have some of the best parts (fewer MIM or cast).

WJR