Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Glock using a new coating that supposedly goes over the Tenifer treatment? I was looking at some newer Glocks the other day and the guy says that they are using a new "coating" over the metal which has already been treated with the Tenifer process. Does anyone have any information on this or know what it is? The gun shop guy said it is supposed to help keep off scratches and scuffs.

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
I think they changed what they use several years ago. My new Glocks I bought recently were nice and shiny, but my 2nd gen G17 I just picked up has a very dull, phosphate finish to it. There's not a scratch on it. I guess they changed so the new ones would be pretty :)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know what it is and what it is called?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah , I think its something else if anything. I see no reason to paint over the Tenifer . Heck , I dont really see the need to give it a coating of anything after what my G22 has been through in 11 yrs , its still marching on and no rust what so ever .

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
Nah , I think its something else if anything. I see no reason to paint over the Tenifer . Heck , I dont really see the need to give it a coating of anything after what my G22 has been through in 11 yrs , its still marching on and no rust what so ever .
The guns have to be painted, otherwise the color would be "bare metal".

Tennifer does not add color to the metal.

Drew

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I couldn't find anything wrong with the original finish. It always reminded me of parkerizing. I had an old Rock Island Arsenal 1903 Springfield. It had never been used and it had a green colored parkerized finish. A Glock would probably look sort of neat with that green finish.
At

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
It's a powder coat of some sort.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It was described to me by Glock as a vapor blasting technique. They still use the same phosphate as before to give the slide the black color, but they use some sort of vapor blasting agent before hand so it looks shiny, instead of the dull grey parkerized look. The technique is purely cosmetic.

It's not powder coat, and it's certainly not paint.

Anyone who owns both and carries both will tell you how much more the new finishing technique stands up to holster wear.

·
Florist
19,996 Posts
Anyone know what it is and what it is called?
From what I understand it's a modification to latex exterior housepaint. But I could have been mis-informed. :cool:

·
NRA Member
57 Posts

Drew
The Tenifer process produces a black oxide layer...

The first step of the Tenifer process is salt bath nitrocarburizing which imparts the hard surface. This is followed by an oxidative treatment which produces a black iron oxide surface layer for corrosion protection.

Here is a link:
http://www.durferrit.de/media/pdf/Tenifer_QPQ_eng.pdf

Regards,

·
Shellback
5,833 Posts

Drew
Um, exactly.... Tennifer is impregnated into the metal.

The gas carbonitriding (Tennifer) process causes the parts to turn blackish, but then they are polished again, and treated with a teflon type coating to make them retail pretty.

·
10mm User
194 Posts
From what I understand it's a modification to latex exterior housepaint. But I could have been mis-informed. :cool:
They apply it with a little roller.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts