Glock "Ultimate Trigger Stop"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sweetaudio, Aug 19, 2007.

1. sweetaudio

sweetaudio

I recently purchased the "Ultimate Trigger Stop" for my Glock 19...it fits in perfectly and the pistol seems to fire fine....but I can't really notice a difference...if you're not familiar with this product, the premise is you can adjust a screw to narrow the trigger time I believe...has anyone had any luck adjusting this, or have any suggestions on getting it right (or what to look/feel for) using this product...thanks for your help as always

2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

What a "properly adjusted" stop does is reduce the distance the trigger travels after it trips the sear, or in the case of a Glock, releases the striker.

The trick is to get it adjusted properly. Basically what this entails is running the stop out to the point that the weapon won't fire and then backing off on it a predetermined distance. From there you make fine adjustements and leave just enough additional travel to take into account the possibility of dirt or debris essentially making the stop longer than it really is and preventing the weapon from firing.

I have a LWD "Ultimate Trigger Stop" in my G23 and I have one on order for my G19.

I have made only two changes to my G23. I added grip tape to the front strap and a trigger stop.

Edited to add: Use a little red Loctite to keep the set screw in place, especially if this is a carry gun.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

3. sweetaudio

sweetaudio

groovy, groovy...the first time I tweaked it, it didn't fire...DOH!!!..I was freaked out and couldn't get the slide off...of coarse I then read the manual and it said to remove the firing pin, etc..so I got it off and backed off the screw...I'll try and tweak it to the way you mentioned...many thanks!!!!!

4. Fredman

Fredman Scallywag

That is, if you think you might want to adjust it or remove it at some point.

5. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

No, red works perfectly. The loctite doesn't get as good a grip on the plastic housing as it would if it were made of metal.

Regards,

6. mballai

mballai

I have one in a G35. It's very nice, but it's definitely not something you want in a carry gun.

7. G36Packer

G36Packer

mballai,

I'm debating getting one for my G23 for daily carry. Why do you not recommend it for carry? If it is adjusted properly and the screw lock-tited so it won't back out why would that be a problem?

8. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

My current stable of 1911's all came from the factory with adjustable trigger stops and I have no problem using them as carry guns. I have also never had a problem with any of them that could be attributed to the trigger stop.

I see no practical difference between the two, assuming they are both adjusted properly, and my LWD Ultimate Trigger Stop equipped G23 is my EDC.

Edited to add: Like any other modification you make to a carry gun you should run several hundred rounds through it to ensure function before you carry it again.

Regards,

9. sweetaudio

sweetaudio

thanks for all your ideas...I am about to receive my CWP, and have been hearing a lot about not doing this and that for carry...is it because of reliability or or other reasons?

...I do agree that every set up should be tested with a few hundred rounds

10. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

An armorers's backplate is helpful for tuning those in.

11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I second J.P.s recommendation for the orange backplate... It really is necessary for proper setup of this trigger.

I would STRONGLY recommend that this be installed in a competition gun, but NEVER in a carry gun.

You may wish to read up on the use of Deadly Force, and more importantly what happens AFTER the shooting... Some modifications will work against you when presented to the Jury. I would classify this modification as jury poison.

I know that a nice trigger is a great thing. The increased potential for a failure is not something you want in your carry pistol.

The final acid test would be to run 500 rounds of your carry ammo through your new system... at minimum anyway. Then it's your call and still not something I would do!

That is just my opinion, but the LWD UTS isn't in any of my carry pistols...

HTH...

12. Lannister

Lannister

I use the UTS and 3.5lb connector in my Glock 23. I havent had a SINGLE failure with my Glock ever. I disagree and dont believe it increases potential for failure at all. I know Police officers and Armorers who use it in there guns and wouldnt have a Glock without it. If youd like to talk to a Glock armorer message me and ill give you his direct phone number, or you can email him at [email protected].

Its very very simple to adjust the UTS, just pop out the pin on the grip, lift the UTS enough to expose the screw. Give it 1-2 full turns and test it. Then from there, do quarter turns at a time to fine tune it.
    I will only use Blue lok-tite. Red is for permanent screws. If you change parts to your gun, like a new connector, you will need to adjust the uts.

13. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I've never had a malfunction due to the use of that kind of overtravel stop.
    Blue loc-tite is what I put on mine.

The function of these is superb.Definitely a better trigger feel.
    Still,i have been reluctant to use one in a carry gun.

14. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I have 2 running in competition guns, and they have been to date flawless!

It really is nice to carry a smooth shooter... but it isn't always worth it. After 10+ years of CCW it finally hit me - No One will see my CCW pistol or pull the trigger on it... It just has to go BANG every time.

The UTS that I have installed are 100% rock solid without failure. That is only 50% of the equasion... Talk to me about your liability in a shooting!

I simply would not want the opposing attorney to have the opportunity to introduce evidence that beyond my evil hollow points I also worked to setup my Glock with a Hair Trigger...

For Carry Guns I use only stock, or my chopped G19. They are stock, and it won't matter what the trigger pull is when the adrenaline dumps!

After adrenaline dump, gross motor skills drop 50%, fine motor skills are shot and mostly unavailable. The chance of a sympathetic reaction cross body with a light trigger pistol has been reviewed by several forensic professionals... and the results are conclusive.

This is one of the reasons that LEO are issued double action only and high trigger pull weight firearms. LEO are litigated like no one else post shooting events...

Buy Hey, if you guys have better evidence, bring it on!

Just a thought... just a thought...

15. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Definitely something to be considered.
    Good post.

16. roymail

roymail

originally posted by Pierre!
    +1 :thumbsup: I'm going to agree with Pierre! on this one. I just don't see the purpose for a carry gun. I don't take issue with those who've never had a FTF using the UTS, it's just that I don't want anything in my carry gun that "could potentially" effect whether it fires or not. Now, for a competition gun, I can certainly see the benefit.

17. jbylake

jbylake

While I see your point, and a certainly valid one, I wouldn't be afraid at all to carry it as a personal protection firearm. I think that at least in my state, the last thing an attorney is going to do is hire an expert to dissasemble your glock and see if it has a trigger stop. The stop for me means "more accuracy". More accuracy also equates to a safer shooter, who doesn't want stray's flying into innocents. I doubt that it would ever come up in KY. We have some of the most decent "self defense" laws on the books. The reason LEO's in (especially liberal) states, use insanely heavy double pull triggers is to cover butts in frivolus lawsuites, tolerated by the very Liberals who control those states and does nothing else but to hinder an LEO in defending him/herself. If it's reliable, carry it. If you live in a state where they give child molesters supervised parole for their crimes, and you vote for those kind of politicians, then you deserve to carry DAO with 15 to 30 lb trigger pulls, and soft rubber bullets.

:banana:

18. roymail

roymail

please disregard

19. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I think we in OK have even better laws protecting us civily and Criminally but my disdain is simply a matter of reliability.
    Like I've said,I've had no failures in my Comp guns but I just like the extra insurance.
    Last I checked,Murphy was alive and well. :)

20. G36Packer

G36Packer

What is an armorer's backplate and how is it helpful?