Glock Trigger

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Spencer R., Oct 7, 2010.

1. Spencer R.

Spencer R.

I like the trigger on my glock but I love the trigger on my 1911. The 1911 trigger is just very crisp where as the glock trigger is just a tad squishy in compaison. Is there anyhting I can do to make the Glock trigger just a bit better?

2. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Yes, but it will always be slightly squishy.

Polish the contact points, 3.5 connector, lighter firing pin spring and heavier trigger spring.

3. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

A 3.5lb connector and 4lb striker spring will make a world of difference . . . but still squishy.

4. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

My first and second guns were Glocks. My third and fourth guns were 1911s.

I have somewhere around 100K rounds through Glocks and while the trigger is crap compared to a good 1911, I can shoot my G23 just as well at 100yards as I can any 1911. For the record, my Glocks have always been stock except for an up-power recoil-spring and replacement of the stock serrated triggers on my compact models with the smooth triggers of the full-size models because the serrated ones would blister my finger on high-volume days (500+ rounds)

The point is, that once you develop good shooting technique including trigger control, stance, breathing, sight alignment, and diet .... the gun/trigger doesn't matter very much.

5. Adam5

Adam5

What kind of groups are you getting and 100 yards with them?

6. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member CLM

Sure...

Read this: https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163390

and then this: https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068027

Now you know what you have and how to make it a bit better. You can also buy prepared parts that will help if you don't want to do it yourself, or you can buy a completely new assembly with all the parts.

I am under 2 pounds on my race G35 with about 1/3 of the take up of a stock trigger and overtravel reduced to undetectable. Everytime someone tries my trigger who has a Glock, they ask me to do a trigger job for them, so I stopped letting folks try it. You CAN make a Glock trigger BETTER than a factory 1911 trigger. However, you CANNOT make a Glock trigger better than even a mildly smithed 1911 trigger.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  7. English

English

MarkCo is right but the thing about squishy is that it is not the length of movement you feel but the irregularity of resistance as it does so. You can make it smooth and fit a Ghost Tactical connector and it will be pretty good.

English

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

For $40 and a little time, try a Ghost Rocket *kit* (not just the connector). I LOVED it in mine, but because I shoot so many GSSF events, ended up taking it out and running my Vanek kit.

Trigger is definitely light, with NO overtravel. If you're only decently handy, you'll be able to do the install (must reduce the overtravel tab for gun-specific fit).

9. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Your Glock trigger will never feel like a 1911 trigger job. Get used to it and learn how to control it...... or go back to a 1911 platform.

10. JBP55

JBP55

Buy a Vanek trigger.

11. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Don't know if I've ever shot groups at that distance ... at 100 and 200 yards I'm usually just shooting at objects. Rocks, cans, balloons, hard drives that have bitten the dust, old Blackberrys, pagers, bowling pins, jugs, the metal posts that hold up the backboards .... anything that reacts visually or audibly when I hit it.

Any kind of normal target would be relatively impossible for me to see properly at 100 yards without optics. That said, making a body shot on a silhouette target at 100 yards .... on a relatively calm day I could go 10 out of 10 pretty much all day long. The rocks I tend to shoot out tend to be as large or slightly smaller than a soda can ... and if I do miss, it's by 3 inches or less ... so body shot entirely possible. Head shot possible at least 7 out of 10 shots.

Can do this from a bench all day long, prone/sitting as well. Tougher if I do a standing isosceles because the shoulders tend to go south fairly quickly (not hitting the gym anymore after my second child) and then accuracy goes to hell. I'd love to scope one of my guns and see what I could do with an optic, but it doesn't intrigue me enough to spend the $$.

12. dudel

dudel

You might make it better; but remember that it's a totally different design than a 1911. You could be on a wild chase.

13. JackFunTeach

JackFunTeach

Hi Spencer,
    I have been down this road with the same thoughts you are thinking. I understand exactly what and why you are asking. I went full circle. I purchased the Vanek Kit for all my Glocks. And got my 9mm better than some of my 1911s. For some reason, I could not quite get the same results on the larger 45s. The 45s seemed to be more of a 2 stage smooth.

Anyway, yes, Vanek and some of the other kits will do a world of good for the trigger. But then, a friend of mine went thru a horror story with a self defense situationn with a Glock that was highly modifed. It took a lot of his life to avoid jail time. So, then, I changed back to stock. I cleaned up the contact points with the 25 cent trigger job, but remain stock to this date.

So, yes, to your question. But I have so say, if you are going to use your Glock as an EDC, every day carry, I think it best to stay stock. Plus I believe reliability is unmatched in it's stock from. If you are going to use it to compete, i.e., IDPA, IPSC, or the like, then, have a gun specifically for that.

Just my 2 cents on the matter,
    Jack

14. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

This needs to be it's own thread. We've all heard of "this guy" but no one ever has proof (court case, news clippings). I'd love to hear more.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  15. ColCol

ColCol

100 yards...I need a rifle for that kind of distance and would feel lucky to hit anything with iron sights at that range. Now, Elmer Keith could have done it with iron sights on a pistol but it's a rifle for me.

16. English

English

An attempt to make a Glock trigger like a 1911 trigger is not entirely futile since a member here claims to have done so but it might be considered to be the wrong direction. A Glock does not have an optional safety, as in thumb safety, and so depend to some extent on length and weight of pull. I accept all the things about holsters that cover the trigger and keeping the finger off the trigger till ready to fire but i still believe that a Glock should not have a crisp 2 lb trigger any more than a 1911 for combat should have. That pull can be made into a very controllable smooth roll over type of trigger action which is not much less safe than the normal Glock trigger but not much more difficult to use than a moderately good combat 1911 trigger.

English

17. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

It's just practice. Was actually at one of the PA state-run ranges this Saturday with my buddy (ex GT member Turbonatr) and had a great time shooting handguns at the 50 yard line all day long. Would have loved to have gone to the 100 yard line, but the rifle tables were all used up. In fact we had to wait for a table on the handgun range and the only one we were able to get was the one with no seats ... my shoulders are mighty sore since we put over 800rnds each through our weapons in a 4 hour period - all standing - all except for maybe the last 45 minutes (the "phrase of the day" was, "We aren't 20 any more.").

Anyway, it's just practice, lots and lots of it. The Glock 23 I have now ... easily 50K rounds through it. The Glock 19 I sold last year - 15 to 20K through it. The other Glock 23 I had for a few years - 10 to 15K through it. Maybe 5K through my old Beretta 92FS. Another 15K through various Kimbers, and, after this weekend, about 2500 through my 1 year old 10mm Fusion (before I was married and had 2 kids, it was common to do 1K rounds a week ... priorities have changed a bit and as such, the round count isn't advancing as much as I'd like it to). Practice removes the flinch and the flinch, however small, is what will kill your accuracy out at any sort of real distance. The guns themselves are more than accurate enough.

18. Q400

Q400

Like was said practice tried it last week approximately 100 yards +or- 15yrds. 1 out of 14 with a G21, danced all around it.