Glock trigger: true DAO?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by timbob, Mar 12, 2010.

1. timbob

timbob

On another forum of completely unrelated subject matter I happened to get into a discussion with another guy about sidearms. I mentioned that I owned a G22 and the guy laughed, calling it a "poor man's pistol". At that point it becomes obvious what type of character I'm dealing with but I insisted that he expand on his opinion and what made Glock pistols so terrible. His response, "I snub my nose at DAO." I then made the claim that Glock pistols being classified as DAO is purely technical classification because the Glock trigger mechanism performs an action which would can be considered a single action during subsequent fire.

So does the reset pull of the Glock trigger provide essentially the same functionality of the SA pull of a SA/DA auto, or am I just drowning in Koolaid?

2. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

BATFE/USPSA/IDPA all consider them DAO since the trigger does two things. Moves the fining pin back and then releases it.

3. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

GLOCK Armorer's Course describes it as "Double Action Only"

The trigger pulls back the stricker, then releases it.

4. timbob

timbob

So what's the advantage in a SA pull on a SA/DA over the reset pull on a Glock?

5. MJB

MJB

I hate DA/SA, I want the same pull every shot.

6. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Ain't it just glorious that you have to argue as to what the definition of a Glock's trigger pull is, even if you know eggzackly how it works? Everything has to fall within a box; and nothing outside of the box counts...nor can it stand on it's own. The Green Manelishi works wonders on people's brains...or none.

7. SuperSleuth

SuperSleuth

I remember reading about the FBI's logic when they first adopted a DA/SA semi-auto pistol. The reasoning was that the DA first shot was to minimize the chance of an accidental discharge when holding a suspect at gunpoint. If more than one shot was needed, it was presumed the agent would be engaged in a firefight and the SA trigger would give better hit potential under stress. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, it sounded like a justification after the fact.

I have a Beretta 92FS. I love that gun, even though it's huge for its caliber. The hardest thing about shooting it was the DA/SA transition. I spent several range sessions trying to master it. Never did, really.

This is one reason why I have a G23 for self-defense. I like simplicity.