close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Trigger Resetting

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bam1131, Apr 20, 2012.

1. bam1131

bam1131

When you are riding the trigger, how loud should the reset be?

2. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

quieter than the report you heard when you pulled the trigger. :thumbsup:

3. Glock+2

Glock+2

:rofl::rofl::rofl:yup it is

4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

You don't hear the reset; you feel it, instead. Stop, 'riding' the trigger, too. One of these days you're going to need a fast second shot; and, if you're riding the trigger, it won't be there. Learn to, 'bounce' your trigger finger about 1/8th" forward after the shot breaks.

5. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member Silver Member

It's audible thru earmuffs (if no one is shooting!) and as Arc Angel said, you should be able to feel the 'click', too.

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Quite honestly, when I'm really shooting a Glock from reset I'm firing too fast to hear that click. It needs to be managed with the tip of my trigger finger.

7. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Arc Angel said it best I feel it,and his advice on just taking the finger pressure off the trigger,well it just works. SJ 40

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

The difference is... you already know how to do it, versus someone who is trying to LEARN how to do it.

When I first learned about trigger reset, the way I started, I would pull the trigger for the shot to go off, WHILE continuing to hold the trigger all the way back. As I slowly let the trigger move forward, I could not only feel the reset, but HEAR it, even though I double up my hearing protection at the indoor range (ear inserts with muffs over that). So reset can *certainly* be heard.

Over time, I learned where the reset was, how much to let go, and now like Arc Angel it is instinct to shoot quickly using reset. I no longer hear it, just feel it, if even that. On/off/on/off.... you can just shoot quickly with fairly little trigger movement.

Don't worry about HOW LOUD it is, it is audible. There's nothing wrong with your gun, regardless of how loud (or not) it is. Just go shoot it.

9. truetopath

truetopath

I agree

10. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

The phrase "muscle memory" fairly presents the situation. After you have done the reset enough, you won't hear it, feel it, or even "sense" it. Your muscle memory / deep-brain learning / intuitive awareness / whatever / will simply have your finger ease off the trigger enough to get the trigger reset without your conscious brain trying to work its way into the mix.

One caution: Changing to a different Glock can briefly upset that "muscle memory" that controls smooth trigger reset. I have multiple Glocks, almost all set up with adjustable trigger housings as close as I can manage to have the same reset distance, and I can STILL feel the differences.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Proprioceptive reflex, as it's called, can work very well. It works especially well when you're able to take your conscious mind out of the equation; it, also, works well when you're firing more than 800 rounds a month and are, consequently, 'heavily' practiced.

It works, something, less than well as your round count drops down to 300, or fewer, fired rounds per month. The other thing about firing accurately and well from reset is that a shooter has to have his grip on the pistol, 'down pat'. You can't work well from reset if your grip is in any way screwed up.

12. samurairabbi

Proprioceptive ... a most impressive word ... When I use it, will I owe you royalties?

Would intensive dry firing during a month be comparable to firing live rounds in that "maintenance" effort?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Well, yeah, but you're going to have to pay both me and English because we're the two who use this word a lot on this board. (Before I met English I always used to say, 'conditioned reflexes', or, 'muscle memory'; but his choice of, 'proprioceptive' sounds so much more intimidating that, unlike a lot of other topics, nobody ever wants to disagree!) :supergrin:

Dry firing is a wonderful habit for any pistol shooter to get into. On the plus side (Even though other shooters, sometimes, give me funny looks.) a few minutes of dry firing saves a lot of live ammo and really sharpens me up before a shooting session. On the negative side dry firing isn't going to do anything for (How shall I say this?) that muscle control reflex that needs to work in perfect sync with primer ignition and actually times the necessary, 'muzzle pulldown' to exactly match the involuntary muscle movement.

What am I talking about? I'm trying to say that I've long held to the personal theory that a perfectly timed, 'muzzle pulldown' is, also, a perfect front sight recapture. An imperfectly timed, 'muzzle pulldown' is, either, a pre or post ignition flinch. When you do it right your muzzle and your (Ready?) proprioceptive reflexes will work, together, in perfectly timed synchronization. Your shots are very fast; and the center of the target disappears! (Like watching a good, heavily practiced, professional pistol shooter work.)

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9513/1rapid16yardtargetcq6.jpg

16 1/2 yards just as fast as I could reset and tap the trigger on a carefully tuned Glock Model 21. About a dozen, or more, police officers were standing behind me that afternoon, watching me shoot. When I walked off the line several of them gave me a, 'thumbs up' signal and they, all, broke out in applause. (I swear that's the truth!)

14. bam1131

bam1131

That's impressive archangel. Shooting as a sport/competition/hobby is fairly new to me. When I got my Glock is when I started to get into it. I'm constantly dry firing. I've seen such a vast improvement on my trigger control since I got the G17.

Next weekend is my first Gssf match and I'm nervous/excited as hell. It was kind of a last minute decision to shoot, but I'm glad I'm going to. I wish we would have more outdoor matches close to New Orleans. I'll probably enter the one in Mobile,Al in October. Hopefully by then I'll be more consistent with my groupings.

The reason I asked about the sound of the reset is because I installed a Ghost connector that failed miserably. I quickly learned that it's stock Glock parts from now on. I ordered the OEM 3.5 connector.

I'm new to the forum but so far I have gotten so much good advise(save a few critical comments). I can't wait to progress and be the most accurate shooter I'm capable of being.

15. samurairabbi

A basic law of consulting: The better the vocabulary, the higher the hourly rate.

A saying in alpine skiing: every skier yearns for the day HE is the one who turns heads on the slope!

16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yes, but you've also got to remember to always carry an attache case and list your home address as being from out of town.

Hey, everybody gets their, '15 minutes' - Right! ;)

17. samurairabbi

If your minimum charge basis is "daily", then 15 minutes can make your day!

18. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

To say the least!

I was gonna say once you get 'in the zone', just go with force!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCruZPZZiHQ"]GSSF Glock plates - YouTube[/ame]

Arc! Yer gonna have to teach me how to spell that word! Or do you just have it written down somewhere? ;)

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Is that plate rack calibrated? You only fired 6 shots. But I'm fairly certain you missed that 4th plate. I do not hear any sort of "ding" as with the other shots.

I know you are a super shooter and all, not discrediting that. A multi "Gunny Challenge" winner is no slacker. Heck, just to qualify by being Match Meister is a heckuva feat. :supergrin::wavey:

Just making an observation about this particular video.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  20. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

That's why I like this video....it's just kinda neat the way the last three plates fall! :)

I think what happened is that I just got an edge hit on it and it fell very slowly. And that's why ya should fire one shot at each plate and then go back to get the one's ya missed, if I'd stayed after the fourth plate, I'da just been wasting time!