close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Trigger Guard "Hook"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by -, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Guest

As a relatively new Glockster, I'm prepared to demonstrate my ignorance with a question which may be academic to the seasoned Glockster. I'm sure other folks new to Glocking have the same question but were too shy to ask. Here goes, I aint skeered. Is the the "Finger Hook" on the front of the Glock trigger guard really a useful item? If so, someone please explain to me the proper way to use it. I have noticed, while reading various gun magazines, that one of the first things the pros seem get rid of when customizing their piece is the "Finger Hook" Wyzzat? As always thanks to everyone for your patience and assistance. MCPO John USN RET

2. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

usnavymasterchi

Don't place your non shooting finger on the front of the trigger guard. The serations are meant for barricade shooting. If you had to shoot over a table you would wedge the front of the trigger guard against the edge of the table or counter. This is meant to stabilize the gun. By placing your finger on the front of the trigger guard you are sacrificing recoil control. Don't do it.

Best,

Dave

3. Coppertone

Coppertone

The barricade-shooting idea/theory is a new one to me. I've never heard of that before, but it seems to me that havng any part of your pistol touching a barricade is probably a bad idea.

The way I understand it, back the the early-mid 1980's, the fashionable idea was that for additional recoil control the shooter should place the index finger of his non-trigger hand on the front of the trigger guard. Firearms companies incorporated the finger hook as a feature/aid. However, I think that most people who actually tried it found out that they usually shot worse this way (I know I do).
    I tend to believe this theory (I wasn't into handguns until 1992, so I don't know firsthand) as the older Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation autos had the finger hook and the newer ones (early 1990's forward) do not.
    The Glock 17 was first produced in 1982 (at the height of this fashion) and I suppose that the finger hook remains on the Glocks as a harmless remnant of that period.
    Could be wrong. I'm sure someone out there has a more definitive answer.
    For me, the finger hook has no value, but I see no reason to go to the trouble or expense to get it removed.

4. D.S.Brown

The utilization of the front of the trigger guard for barricade shooting was brought to my attention by tactical officers that I have trained under and some glock armorers. I have used it on a couple of occassions in training. It's not something I would do, unless there wasn't an alternative.

The concept of hooking your non dominant finger to the trigger guard was first developed by 1911 shooters. It's understandable when one considers that someone of an average hand length could hook their finger in such a fashion. As Coppertone mentioned it doesn't work for the majority of people becasue it inhibits recoil control. I have not seen any one utilize it as an effective technique in my 15 years of shooting handguns. It's one of those techniques very similar to the tea cup grip you see less enlightened shooters still use. Neither practice worked well when they were first conceived but nonetheless they continue to exist. It's even more cumbersome today when you consider the size of trigger guards today on some of your more popular handguns, i.e. Sigs, HK's, Beretta, CZ, and just about any revolver out there. Even people with large hands have a difficult time incorporating this ill conceived technique on the aforementioned guns. Thus if they are ill-defined for that purpose, then they must have another purpose. That being the case I'll stick to the barricade shooting "theory" until something that makes more sense comes along.

However I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Good luck.

Best,
    Dave

5. Stef

Stef clue-by-four

Agreed.
    Because it looks so much better :)

This took me about an hour with my Dremel and a jewler's file.

[​IMG]

6. aux reduit

aux reduit

The only reason for the trigger hook on your Glock is so it will lock into your Sidearmor holster --- nice and easy;)

7. Stef

Stef clue-by-four

Mine locks into my Bladetech holster just fine, but I can't attest to it's fit in a Sidearmor. Perhaps if they send me one I can field test it for them :)

8. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

SFGrrl

Did the same to my trigger guard. Also got rid of the finger groovs. By the way I like the slide.

9. Stef

Stef clue-by-four

The finger grooves fit my hand perfectly or I would have altered them too.

The slide was done by Tripp a few months ago. I highly recommend their work.

10. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

What Coppertone said. That picture of the modified Glock is UUU GGG LLL YYY !!!

11. D.S.Brown

To All,

Forget about the finger hook crap, SFGrrl's G23 looks WAAAAAAYYYYY COOOOOOOOL! As the kids in my high school, (where I teach, not attend), "that is tight"!

12. Coppertone

Coppertone

Please believe me when I say that I'm not trying to flame, but I would think that if barricade shooting was the intended use, the front of the trigger guard would be FLAT with serrations - NOT CURVED. After all, the curve would only serve to cant the pistol unless the barricade fit the curve perfectly (unlikely).

I don't doubt that some tactical officers and Glock armorers in your area told you that (and probably demonstrated it with success using a table top), but if any officer ("regular" or "tactical") were to do that on our qualification course, he or she would promptly get a correction. The thinking is that anything touching the pistol other than you introduces an increased possibility of malfunction (like rubbing the slide or forcing the slide out of battery). Just goes to show how one department's great idea is anathema to another.

SFGrrl: Shame! Have you forgotten that Glocks are supposed to be UGLY?! ;) That trigger guard does look schweet (but I still think I'll leave mine alone.... I've learned to love the homeliness!)

13. vinnier6

vinnier6

i always place my non shooting finger over the finger hook...i dont believe the baraicade theory either....

14. ammoboy2

ammoboy2 Millennium Member

In the early 80s, the hot way to hold your 1911 was with the supporting hand index finger using the trigger guard. It was a very common modification to add checkering and a hook on the front of a trigger guard. Most custom 1911s had those features and many non-Colt manufacturers had hooked trigger guards standard from the factory.

15. mjs

mjs

I used a torch, because dremels are for wussies. Not quite the results I was shooting for, but I don't see any safety issues with it.

So far, I've only noticed two downsides to this customization:
    1) My barricade shooting has suffered tremendously.
    2) It makes a loud "bang" every time I holster it.

[​IMG]

<p align=right>;8</p>

16. D.S.Brown

mjs,

That's funny! Ugly but funny!

17. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

I sincerely hope that if anybody ever decides to shoot at me with a Glock that he has one finger pressing hard on the front of the trigger guard. Most good shooters will agree that this is one great way for ensuring you'll string your shots laterally.

18. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

19. GMan30

GMan30

back in the late 70's and early 80's when double action automatic pistol were becoming very popular in the USA and the first trigger pull from a hammer down position was very stiff. People were so used to single action pistols with a light trigger that they had a tendecy to pull the first shot way to the right.

The "hook" was supposed to give them a place to put their non-shooting index finger to help from pulling the pistol to the right on that first double action heavy trigger.

20. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

Agreed. ;c