Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I was wondering if it’s normal that when the slide is locked back, that the trigger can still be depressed. Thank you in advance. As a side note, it’s a police trade in.

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What type of damage will it do?
You are welcome.

Not a good thing to do, because few have done it (obviously, based on the number of views vs. number of replies you have gotten).

Let us know, after you've done it a few hundred times, what you discover.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The only thing I can see holding the trigger forward is the trigger safety blade. Why do it?

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Whenever the slide is open and the trigger is forward, the coil Trigger Spring exerts rearward pull (less than 2-lbf) on the Trigger. The only thing keeping the Trigger forward is the top of the Trigger Safety in contact with the frame behind the Trigger. If the Trigger is pulled in this condition, the top of the Trigger Safety rubs against the frame until the safety clears and the Trigger snaps rearward under coil Trigger Spring force. That rubbing of the top of the polymer safety against the polymer frame as the Trigger is pulled and wear on the axis pin of the Trigger Safety are the only locations of potential wear damage. The chance for ANY discernable wear is extremely small. Perhaps some effect might be noticed after years of pulling the Trigger with slide open. Maybe. Nothing to worry about. Dry firing represents far greater potential for serious Glock pistol damage, yet many are habitually addicted to such abuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. What type of damage will it do?
You are welcome.

Not a good thing to do, because few have done it (obviously, based on the number of views vs. number of replies you have gotten).

Let us know, after you've done it a few hundred times, what you discover.
I discovered it by accident and only did it a second time to verify it really did happen. I’ll never do it again. I’ve predominantly have been a 1911 guy for a three decades, but decided on having a Glock in the inventory. I like them and plan on getting a 19.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I can see holding the trigger forward is the trigger safety blade. Why do it?
I discovered it by accident and only did it a second time to verify it really did happen. I’ll never do it again. I’ve predominantly have been a 1911 guy for a three decades, but decided on having a Glock in the inventory. I like them and plan on getting a 19.
Whenever the slide is open and the trigger is forward, the coil Trigger Spring exerts rearward pull (less than 2-lbf) on the Trigger. The only thing keeping the Trigger forward is the top of the Trigger Safety in contact with the frame behind the Trigger. If the Trigger is pulled in this condition, the top of the Trigger Safety rubs against the frame until the safety clears and the Trigger snaps rearward under coil Trigger Spring force. That rubbing of the top of the polymer safety against the polymer frame as the Trigger is pulled and wear on the axis pin of the Trigger Safety are the only locations of potential wear damage. The chance for ANY discernable wear is extremely small. Perhaps some effect might be noticed after years of pulling the Trigger with slide open. Maybe. Nothing to worry about. Dry firing represents far greater potential for serious Glock pistol damage, yet many are habitually addicted to such abuse.
Thank you for that very detailed explanation. I really do appreciate the response. I’ve been a 1911 guy for a few decades and this is all new to me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also check out the G48 while you check out the iconic G19. Thinner, similar other dimensions of the 19 and with the Shield Arms magazines, you can carry 15 rounds. Our ranges finally opened yesterday and I was able to run both the G48 and 43X for the first time. No issues. The 48 feels just a bit like the 1911 because of the thinness and longer feeling slide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also check out the G48 while you check out the iconic G19. Thinner, similar other dimensions of the 19 and with the Shield Arms magazines, you can carry 15 rounds. Our ranges finally opened yesterday and I was able to run both the G48 and 43X for the first time. No issues. The 48 feels just a bit like the 1911 because of the thinness and longer feeling slide.
I will definitely be checking that one out. Thank you so much for that tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts