Glock Talk banner

Glock training grenades

758 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  gunter_h

Apparently, Glock made training grenades für the Austrian Army. They were blue and accepted a pyrotechnical insert, so one would know when it was "safe" to get up from behind cover after throwing one. In basic training in the Austrian Army, my company had one instruction session in the correct method of throwing hand grenades. Since there were 8-10" of snow, the company had to line up to compact the target area, so that the spent traiing grenades could be retrieved. We were instructed "don't throw it too far, you have to bring it back afterwards."

I guess the ATF will consider even inert training grenades that go bang to be "destructive devices" in US.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Neat post , I have been searching for the DNW HdGr 81 with the Glock round logo for quite some time , one documented in the US .That actually looks like a Arges HdGr 78 but its a little odd in that it has a 4th week of 90 date code. My HdGr 80 has a date cod of the 30th week of 84. There are pics of the Glock grenade in the web belt and holster+ round logo thread page 1. That is still a cool blue grenade.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
Neat post , I have been searching for the DNW HdGr 81 with the Glock round logo for quite some time , one documented in the US .That actually looks like a Arges HdGr 78 but its a little odd in that it has a 4th week of 90 date code. My HdGr 80 has a date cod of the 30th week of 84. There are pics of the Glock grenade in the web belt and holster+ round logo thread page 1. That is still a cool blue grenade.
They should make them in pink, too. For the ladies. ;)

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is an original Arges in the background. Note that the Arges is completely blue with waffle pattern, whereas the Glock body only has a blue ring. Also note the GLOCK stamping around the threaded hole for the pyro charge.

Regarding the holsters over on the web belt & hoslter thread, I have one of those drop down swivel mode holsters too. This was designed specially for vehicle carry, so that the grip was easily accesible while seated.

· Army Vet
1,301 Posts
Grenades always scared the Hell out of me. Ours and theirs.
Not too much to fear. Just remember, after pulling the pin, wind up and throw.

Whatever you do, just don't drop it with the pin out. That would make for a really bad day... :eek:

Reactions: Doc Holliday

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Lotsa people injured and killed from training with the real thing.
Drill sergeants train to keep you and them alive when throwing from a pit.
Not all fare well.

We had one trainee pull the pin, release the spoon and hug the grenade.
Really.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not too much to fear. Just remember, after pulling the pin, wind up and throw.

Whatever you do, just don't drop it with the pin out. That would make for a really bad day... :eek:
The grenade throwing trining stand had a hip high wall in front and a knee high wall some ways behind where you were supposed to be standing. Soldiers waiting for their turn were behind a concrete wall about 15 metres back. Only the next in line got to observe from that distance. You were supposed to take cover after throwing. In the case of a dropped grenade, the instructor would ***** slap the trainee over either wall and jump over himself too, hoping the wall would shield both of them from the overpressure of the blast and the splinters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts