glock to 1911 transition question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dru22, Sep 11, 2007.

1. dru22

dru22 Shooter

Ok, I started my collection with a Glock and carry the fullsize G22 everyday. Recently, I've been fighting the 1911 fever and have started my research on them. This got me thinking....

My question is this, will the grip angle and thumb safety be difficult to transition too, or will it come with lots 'o practice?

My concern with this stems from my learning on the Glock and my being able to "point" the Glock quickly and accurately without sighting it.

I hear how people say the 1911 points more natural, but for me my Glock does this.....will there be trouble? Will therre be ill effects when going back
    to the Glock?

thanks for looking

2. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

I just went with a Kimber 4" Compact CDP, yes there will be trouble... you will want more 1911's

I'm ordering a 10mm DW CBOB today and soon as funds become available a 5" Razorback, meanwhile I'm going to try and resurrect an older Series 80 I have in my "collection".

The only other pistol/revolver I see any use for will be my Kahr PM9. The Glocks have served me well, but now that I can finally afford the 1911's and have been shooting and carrying them. I just can't go back. The other day I ran the Kimber alongside my G29, about 50 rounds each.

The difference in handling, shootablity, carrying and accuracy is like night and day.

Glock is a good gun and you can get two for the price of a midrange 1911. But there really is no comparison. I was concerned about the extra motion of the saftey as well, but practice will develop muscle memory and I feel, much, much better while stuffing it into a carry holster, plus I can quickly check the safety while carrying.

One other thing about the 1911's, expect to have to "tweak" them to get them to run right, my $1100 Kimber gave me some initial trouble. The cost was only $37 for a "collection" of recoil springs and a trip back to Kimber on their dime. But irratating on a $1100 pistol.

3. dru22

dru22 Shooter

Thanks for the reply Jitterbug, I know your right about the wanting more part. Just in researching my first, I am making a list for the next ones......(dang, even refer to the next as plural)

I'd love to rock a DW Razorback, came across those yesterday online.

Roughly how long did it take for you to feel comfortable with the safety?

Thanks for the insight!

4. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Not long at all...it's really not a big deal, it is an extra motion, but something I can live with, especially if all I shoot in the future is 1911, it will soon go on auto pilot and soon be a non issue.

The very important side of the coin, I carry everyday. Is being much more sure of sticking a loaded pistol in my pants is "knowing" that safety is on. Even in being very, very careful, I've had a shirt tail go into the holster while reholstering, just happened the other day with the G29. And with a light trigger it isn't going to take much for it to go bang when it shouldn't.

I carried the Glocks for three years and with very light triggers and never had an issue, (other then in my head) but I just "feel" much better with the safety on the 1911's. It is a plus for me.

If you can afford the 1911 and the probably necessary "tweaking" go 1911 I don't think you'll be sorry. If not go Glock and save your penny's until you can.

5. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Rainwatcher

Step one: buy milspec.

Step two: sell Glock.

Step three: go to the range. Repeat as needed until all ammo is depleted.

Step four: buy more/make more/get more ammo.

Step five: post here to train others.

Go to step three.

Questions?

6. dru22

dru22 Shooter

Working on step one, step two isn't an option. This is/ was my first gun and my first carry gun. Although he is only 2 1/2 now, my oldest will be recieving this one when old enough. The rest will come!

Thanks!

I do have a quick one for ya - When you say "milspec" are you referring to any Military 1911 equal or a Brand specifically? Forgive my lack of 1911 nomenclature.

7. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Dru

I believe Jammer is referring to your good ole plain jane .45 Government, I hear Springfield makes a good one and I think Colt is making a comeback of late. There are many others...check out some 1911 Forums such as

http://forum.m1911.org/

http://forums.1911forum.com/

Yes they are different forums, despite the similarity of names.

Update on my new DW10mm CBOB

Well after much reading, thinking, rationalizing and waffling I finally did it, my dealer found one in S.C. and it's on its way to Colorado, he said he'd have it tomorrow afternoon or Friday at the latest.

8. dru22

dru22 Shooter

Thanks for links Jitterbug, I've checked out one of those I think....will be going back, thanks again.

I've heard good things of Springfield's. A good base model so to speak....I can't do a $1200 1911 right away, but thought I could start with a solid, affordable one.

Congrats on the DW10mm, your gonna have to shoot some pics of it and post!

9. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Rainwatcher

Yup, I'm a SA milspec guy.

Milspecs are not $1,200. Don't know where you got that idea. They're $400-600.

My only gripe with SA is that they call weapons that are not milspecs milspecs.

For instance, they have a Micro Milspec, when there was never any such thing.

My only gripe with the milspec is that I think the "GI" milspec (groan) cocking serrations look a lot better.

Oh, and grasshopper, you will never attain true enlightenment as long as your Holy Safe is infected by the Dark Side. :supergrin:

10. eddief4

eddief4

i prefer the grip of the 1911 to that of the glock.....but i love my glock 20:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

11. dru22

dru22 Shooter

Oh, no Jammer, I meant I couldn't do say, a Kimber or something. I know the milspecs aren't that much (thank goodness!)

I have been leaning toward the Springfields....I could definitly swing the 400-500 range....

12. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Well I carry both a Glock 30 and a 1911. More or less what works on a 1911 as far as grip goes should work on a Glock. Most 1911 shooters just get used to sweeping their thumb down when they draw. You can still do that on a Glock, it just doesn't do anything.

I shoot thumbs forward and ride the safety on my 1911. What I mean is my strong hand thumb flips the safety off and stays resting on it like some sort of thumb shelf. I just shoot thumbs forward with my glock. I really don't notice the grip angle difference too much, but the thickness I definitely do. Especially since my 1911 has slimline grips on it. It makes my 1911 feel about half as wide as my 30.

I still feel Glocks and 1911s are kind of apples and oranges and it just so happens I like both.

I wish you luck as 1911s are about as addicting as black rifles. :supergrin:

13. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

You got that "addiction" thing right!

If I where you Dru I'd find a good Milspec, all steel, 5" .45 Government model 1911, used if necessary and give it a whirl.

Just go with a good platform such as Colt, Springfield, etc. Read up on the forums, ask questions and you'll soon find out what's what in the 1911 world.

Keep the Glock for backup, that way you can "play" with the 1911 and send it to the "smith" for add ons if you decide you like it.

I like my Glock's a G27 and G29, I've added a Barsto and night sites to the G29, along with trigger job and some other stuff. The G27 is stock except for NS and a Ghost Rocket trigger job, which I very much like by the way.

They will be the last to go in order to "fix" my 1911 and black rifle bug.

14. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

Hey dru22, I started out a bit with the 1911 platform before going to the GLOCK where I've been for YEARS now... some months back I caved into the 1911 bug & picked up a very early NIB S&W1911 full-size. HOWEVER, I only did this AFTER I discovered that an arched mainspring housing allows the 1911 to point naturally (like my GLOCKs) for me... before that the 1911 had always pointed low for me unlike my GLOCKs. A quick stop by Brownells www site found a nice arched mainspring housing for right around $12... it took about 10 minutes to swap out the S&W’s flat mainspring housing with the new one. Much, MUCH better now!

Me to, but I found that my thumb contacted my 1911's slide too much slowing it up a bit, which found me with a few “failures to go completely into battery” jams while shooting... only saw this on a pretty dirty gun though. Another quick stop by Brownells www site found me with a nice “Low Mount Thumb Safety” made by GUNSITE... decided to let my gunsmith fit that part for me (At $40+ for the part I figured this was a good idea!) & just recently got it back. Much, MUCH better now!

Here’s how my S&W1911 sits now:

[​IMG]

15. Greg W

Greg W

Hi:wavey: let me help with this. I have owned 11 Glocks and have no trouble with anything about shooting my 1911. The trigger pull is much improved over the Glock. If you want a full size take a look at Dan Wesson's PM7. I have one and could not be more pleased with it! For the money, it has the tightest slide to frame fit I have seen in a weapon that is a sub $900.00 firearm. Mine shoots like a dream.

Alternating back to Glock should not be a problem. After you get your 1911, you may only want to carry it for a while. They have that affect on you. I can't wait for winter in Arizona so I can carry 1911 full time. Right now it is so hot that when I am at my job (a no carry joint) and it is too hot to handle my 1911 after it is locked up in the car for several hours. For now I switch back to plastic for this job. Good Luck with your purchase.

16. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Ditto on the DW.

I just purchased a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm, it really is a sweet gun, cost was $985 taxes included. This is to replace a G29 with a Barsto Barrel. I have close to $1000 in the G29 when I add up, night sites (2), trigger job and hand fitted Barsto and there is no contest for my intended purpose, the DW wins hands down.

I have a Kimber CDP compact .45 which is going to replace my G27 for carry. The Kimber carries better then the G27 for me. The Kimber was a bit more pricey then the DW, but I think the DW is the better gun for the money.

I will probably sell the G29, the G27 will probably be kept, since the light, little, plastic pistol rides very nicely in a fanny pack for jogging. Empty chamber, full mag, it won't bounce as much as the 1911's.

I don't worry to much about "transitioning" I also carry a Kahr PM9, it's a primary CCW piece for when the 1911's wont work. And of course the trigger is much different then the 1911's, but a good trigger nonetheless, the PM9 shoots very well. If I run 50-100 rounds a month through it and I KNOW what I'm carrying. I really don't see "transitioning" being an issue.

17. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

As a good friend of mine often said; " It's not the violin". I believe I would be comfortable picking any weapon up and being reasonably proficient. If you have the basics down, it should not matter what you pick up. ;)

I have Glocks, 1911's and other stuff and it all seems to work fine. :thumbsup:

18. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Good point...but it sure is nice to pick up a Stradivarius now and then.

19. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

When I became infected with 1911itis, I just practiced until I could go from a Glock to a 1911, back to the Glock, etc. Don't empty a mag, shoot three rounds, switch pistols, repeat as necessary.

After a few sessions you'll instinctively react to the feel of the pistol in your hand.

Just keep practicing with what you're carrying and what may be the pistol you'd use at home if TSHTF.

Practice, practice, pratice....:thumbsup:

20. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Earlier this year I bought a Colt Gov't in .38Super; haven't shot the G17 since last year. As time goes on, 1911s keep coming home and the .45auto is very easy to reload.

It's good to hear positive feedback on the DW 10mm as I've been thinking about the Razorback for a long time; give the G20 some companionship. :)

The slide safety is a transition to keep in your mind; I'm always touching mine out of habit. Transitioning to the trigger can also be an issue since it's always single action and it makes for a very quick first shot from the holster.

Bob :cowboy: