close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock the Plates

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lewprinting, Feb 24, 2006.

1. lewprinting

lewprinting

I was checking out some of the scores of last years match in Topton, PA. I paid particular attention to the top scores in the glock the plates portion of the shoot. I noticed that some of the top scores were around 16 seconds which if my math is correct, is about 4 seconds per string. HOW THE HECK DO THEY DO IT?!

I went to a place I like to shoot and put a 9" paper plate out at 11 meters. I started with the competition start position and attempted to put 6 rounds in the plate as fast as I could. The only way I could get them all to hit the plate, it would take me about 5 or 6 seconds. If I tried to shoot faster I would miss it half the time. I shoot a G-32 .357 sig. I just can't immagine being able to do that in 4 seconds.

As a side note, when I'm doing a slow fire on a 6 inch pistol target, I usually can hit in the 8, 9 and 10 rings. (usually the 9 ring) So I don't totaly stink.

Before I went out to shoot at the plate, for a couple of days, I practiced dry firing and going through the motions of glock the plate so I wasn't totaly un-prepared for shooting. (I do practice my dry firing every night.)

Still nowhere near 4 seconds though.

One thing I found out about rapid firing is that the pistol seems to change positions in my hand a little bit with each shot I fire. I thought I was gripping tight enough but I guess not.

Any suggestions?

2. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

I think the majority of the top shooters are shooting 9mm...big difference in recoil.....and they practice a lot. I mean a lot.... Go to a match and watch some back to back 3-4 second runs......

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I shoot 9mm and I practice the plates, a lot! It helps that I have a real plate rack to practice on.

I average in the 4's and I'm slow compared to guys like Grady Whitelaw, Bobby Carver, Dale Rhea, Tony Clemens and a bunch of other master class shooters!

4. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Yes, go to a match and watch the experts do it. I think they were named in an early reply. There are six plates on the rack, not just one. Somehow these gentlemen can clear those plates off in no time. Faster than a speeding bullet!;a ;a ;a

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i got lucky last year at one match and was shooting the plates in 20 seconds, more or less. for me it was a good day i'm usually around 6-7 seconds. it's fun to watch guys that can really shoot do the plates. sounds like an automatic letting off 6 rounds and six plates fall. one big tip is to shoot and move, don't wait for a plate to fall and don't go back to pick up a miss untill you've got to the end of the rack.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Missing fast won't do it.

One of the Fla crowd seems to have said (over and over) :slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

The biggest thing is Don't drive your self nuts over thinking this.

Practice, do the best you can on that day. (and everybody has days-good or bad)

Come on out Have Fun, watch learn and Have a Good time.

(plates I think there is a Shooting Gallery program that shows Dave Sevigny cleaning a plate rack in 2.5 seconds. I know he does the paper option in 1.8)

7. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I have learned the following to help my times on the racks:

Watch the front sight. Hitting the plates makes them fall faster! :)

Shoot through the plates and pick up misses after the sixth plate.

Shoot a caliber you can control better. For me its 9mm.

Even with the above and some practice my runs vary. A good day and I might get a 20 second score with several 3.5 to 4 second runs and 6 or 7 second run to bring me back down.

I have been averaging about 26 seconds for the plates and have a long way to go to get up to the speed of some of the masters.

Practice on a real plate rack is important. I have not been able to do that except at the matches. Thats why when the have a plate rack for warm up at some matches I spend the money to get in some rack time. I also shoot several catagories at a match to get some practice.

8. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I don't always get in the 4 sec range but when I was working hard at GSSF, I would go to the range & shoot maybe 400rds an outing at the plate rack. Shoot it following the tips from the masters post. Also, it's not impossible but I bet it would be very hard to get those times with a 357 sig due to the recoil. You might try some decal grip in the sandpaper variety to help keep the gun from moving in your hand. Also, use 8" plates. I have managed many runs in the low 3s, by the way. It is just repetition. Take a look closer, you will see lots of totals of 12-13 seconds, meaning closer to 3 secs per run. MLM

9. lewprinting

lewprinting

I kind of figured that alot of the guys with the best scores were shooting 9mm. I also figured that I probably have a bit of a disadvantage shooting a .357. It does recoil pretty hard. I just bought my G32 about 3 months ago and I have had a G33 for about a year. When I bought the 32 I wasn't really considering shooting in matches and have since developed an interest in doing so. If I knew I was going to compete I probobly would have considered a 9mm a bit more strongly.

I went shooting again today and did a bit better. I realized that I was gripping the pistol a bit too far to the rear with my trigger (right) hand. That was causing the pistol to rotate slightly in my hand with each shot I fired. Now that I've squared that issue away, I also have improved my dry firing because I noticed that it is now easier to keep the front sight steady when the trigger breaks.

I am developing a great respect for the super studs you see knocking down plates in no time at all. They make it look so easy but when I try to shoot anywhere near that speed my shots end up going to Europe....And thats bad....because my bullets don't even have a passport. :)

When I am slow firing I can put a round in a fleas 4th point of contact at 25 yards. But when I need to speed things up a bit, forget it. I guess I'm just going to have to get it in my head that when I'm practicing the plates I need to slow it down till I'm good enough to speed it up.

I don't think I'm going to be any threat to the usual winners this year.:)

10. lewprinting

lewprinting

Does anyone know if the set up a practice plate stand at the Topton, Pa match? (Like what FotoTomas was talking about)

11. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

If the 32 is the only Glock you have acces to, beg steal or borrow a .22 pistol just to get the rythm and target transition down in muscle memory, etc. While steel Plates are undeniable fun to shoot whether in IDPA or GSSF they're still a sideshow stunt on a rack. The guys who do them in x seconds times spent a ton of time and money learning and honing skills to do it. Last time bothered to look GSSF still has no Power Factor requirement so guns can be tuned to run on "poof" ammo. Why not be happy working on paper plates, logging your times and seeing them improve with your ammo choice and street gun over whetever time it is YOU want to put into it?

Dosen't mean squat how fast you are on the plates at a match if you miis and run out of ammo. Can see it all the time at these type shoots, FWIW.

12. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

^c
    As Butch keeps trying to tell me, all kinds of good things happen when you only use 6 rounds to take them down. The mental clock in your brain will be telling you to put your foot down, but that measured string where you think you were taking too much time (but only used 6 rounds) will come out looking alot better than the one where you were going like a bat outta hell but ended up having to use 9 rounds, however fast you sprayed them.

Just do your personal best; and make each round count. You can't miss fast enough to win.
    ;?

13. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

MAGIC! ;f

When I do it right, my plate time usually hovers at about 12 seconds, I've done it faster in practice, but screwing up during practice doesn't cost one the match win so it easier to be a little careless......and very fast.

Here's my plate runs at the Missouri match in 1994, the quality isn't great because it was taped on VHS and I just recorded it with my digital camera off the TV.
    Click--> http://media.putfile.com/Glock-plates---1207-seconds
    The total time for the four runs is 12.07 seconds, the first run was a touch over 3 seconds, the other three were a touch under 3 seconds with the last one at 2.85 seconds (you can here the RO say "285" if you have the volume up high enough). Equipment is my favorite old first generation stock G17 with an 8lb connector, shooting either Blasers or WWB factory ball.

Though my times are very fast, folks like the one's listed above will all too often beat me hands down, but once in a while they'll screw up bad enough to let me beat them. :)

How do ya shoot the plates fast?

Rule #1.....DON'T LOOK AT THE PLATES! You have to focus on your sights, especially the front sight, if it's not on the plate when the shot is fired, you won't hit the plate. When I screw up a plate run, it's usually because I looked down range to see the last two plates fall instead of keeping my eyes on my sights, and guess what happens? Yeah, they don't go down.

Shooting plates is easy, just line up your sights on the plate and pull the trigger without moving the sights off the plate, and then do it five more times. Yeah, I know, you want to do it fast, but most people just cannot start by doing it fast, they miss too much trying to shoot them fast, so start slow. Make sure you hit every plate with every shot, and then just keep doing it, over and over again. With repetition comes speed, but when you start missing, slow down again, you're going too fast.

And don't look down at the plate after each shot to watch the plate go down, you're wasting time! Stay on your sights, fire the shot, move to the next plate.....you know you hit the last one because your sights were on the plate when the gun went off.

Keep in mind that you're not plinking here, you're shooting very aggressively, and to do it well, you have to control the guns movement. You have to have a 'weight forward' stance and you have to hold the gun hard/tight....a relaxed, plinking grip won't do it, ya gotta use your muscles.

Good luck!

;?

14. lewprinting

lewprinting

Sounds like great advice. I will definetely keep all of those things in mind next time I practice.

Because I will be using a .357 sig, I don't know that I will ever be able to get those kind of times compared to shooting with 9mm. But that's alright. Ultimately, I just want to be as fast and accurate as I can be.

Thanks again.

15. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

I need to work on not watching the plates.

1 for 1, I could probably cut time off not watching them fall.

That's this spring's project I guess. Someone is going to have to smack me every time I watch the plates fall, or take a second shot.

16. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Try showing up shooting the best you can that day.

Then you have a starting place and can improve from there.

NOBODY anywhere started with a 3 second run.

You could do it But I will bet that 3 or 4 plates will still be standing.

No mater how quick the time is you still have to shoot them ONE at a time.

17. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

there is no drawing from a holster nor is the low ready used.

19. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Yeah, I know.

I also shoot uspsa, so I practice from the holster as well.

Also, don't really feel like arguing the terminology of what you call the start position, so I'll just remove the last post so as not to offend anyone.

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa