Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows about the so called and infamous Glock bulge around the case web. Lots of guys who pick up Glock shot brass on the range dump it because they don’t feel like dealing with an already bulged case. Matter of fact, it’s not just Glock. Many hand loaders have noticed that their loads seem to have somewhat of a case bulge such that they won’t fit in a chamber checker. I’ve experienced the problem frequently in loading my Glock 21 in 45 Super (I know, I know lots of Glock shooters hate conversions and wildcat rounds). In loading 300 grain hard cast flat point for 45 Super there is a noticeable bulge along the bullet bottom on the gas check line. This all leads me to my point which is that I highly recommend that you buy the Lee Bulge Buster kit. It’s cheap and it works like a charm. I run every new loaded case through it. It’s a real blessing to have.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't see a real problem with bulges, but YES, as a reloader that exclusively shoots only RELOADS and in high volume I have managed to find the best dies that work for me and set them up for minimal sizing problems with my finished product.

9mm gives me the biggest problem. I've never had a 45ACP problem and was able to use my 45 set up that feds my 1911's straight to my Glocks.

Now, the problem with 9mm I found was not being able to fully size the 9mm case because it is not a perfectly straight wall. So I went to a Markov 9mm sizer and drastically reduced my sizing quality control checks.

That all said........ as a competitor using my own reloads my biggest flusters were FTF's and FTE's, and since then I secondarily hand press my match ammo primers (making sure they are fully seated to prevent light strikes), and I chamber check every single bullet in the barrel itself. I remove the barrel from the gun, then drop it in, and if it doesn't fall freely out of the barrel it goes into my practice ammo.

I use Vith N320 for most my loads, and it meters astronomically well. Check, after check, after check it's almost always SPOT ON, and never more than 0.1gn off up or down.

So I load with a 0.2gn grace on my powder now.

I got through my last GSSF match of 8 Divisions for just over 600 rounds with only ONE failure, which was at the end of the day, and I attribute that to limp wristing and fatigue.

Bottom line, quality control and checks are what it's about, and as I found quality failures I adjusted things accordingly and I'm slowly zeroing in my reloading process for minimal issues.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I know that the early 40's had some bulge issues, but I haven't seen it with the 9mm and 45 Glocks.

I load around 20-25K of 9mm a year, and most of its shot out of Glocks, and Ive yet to see any bulged cases. Shot a good bit out of a couple of 45acp Glocks as well, and never had a problem there either.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Having shot .40 since the old days, I solved the issue by grinding the bottom off an RCBS Carbide Sizing Die and thinning the shell holder. Both were done in a machine shop and not some botch job. I'm planning to get a Lee Bulge Buster though as I upgrade some of my equipment.

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
I have yet to notice any bulges in my .45ACP brass myself, don’t reload .40 or 9 though.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't see a real problem with bulges, but YES, as a reloader that exclusively shoots only RELOADS and in high volume I have managed to find the best dies that work for me and set them up for minimal sizing problems with my finished product.

9mm gives me the biggest problem. I've never had a 45ACP problem and was able to use my 45 set up that feds my 1911's straight to my Glocks.

Now, the problem with 9mm I found was not being able to fully size the 9mm case because it is not a perfectly straight wall. So I went to a Markov 9mm sizer and drastically reduced my sizing quality control checks.

That all said........ as a competitor using my own reloads my biggest flusters were FTF's and FTE's, and since then I secondarily hand press my match ammo primers (making sure they are fully seated to prevent light strikes), and I chamber check every single bullet in the barrel itself. I remove the barrel from the gun, then drop it in, and if it doesn't fall freely out of the barrel it goes into my practice ammo.

I use Vith N320 for most my loads, and it meters astronomically well. Check, after check, after check it's almost always SPOT ON, and never more than 0.1gn off up or down.

So I load with a 0.2gn grace on my powder now.

I got through my last GSSF match of 8 Divisions for just over 600 rounds with only ONE failure, which was at the end of the day, and I attribute that to limp wristing and fatigue.

Bottom line, quality control and checks are what it's about, and as I found quality failures I adjusted things accordingly and I'm slowly zeroing in my reloading process for minimal issues.
You are clearly locked on as far as your reloading and shooting regimen. Hats off!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You are clearly locked on as far as your reloading and shooting regimen. Hats off!
I saw your thread title, and was eager to see what the product or process was, but if you look at the product 9mm is not in there. So I'm still stuck with the same process I currently have.

I would have LOVED to find a die or product to reduce one more quality check I have to do on my reloads. But alas, 9mm still doesn't really have a way to resize the full length of the case.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ive used both RCBS and Hornady (preferred) 9mm dies, and never had any problems.

I did wear a set of the RCBS out and started to have some issues, but that was solved buying a new set of Hornady dies.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I saw your thread title, and was eager to see what the product or process was, but if you look at the product 9mm is not in there. So I'm still stuck with the same process I currently have.

I would have LOVED to find a die or product to reduce one more quality check I have to do on my reloads. But alas, 9mm still doesn't really have a way to resize the full length of the case.
I think your problem can be solved by using the Lee Bulge Buster with a Lee 9mm Mak Die. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I read that somewhere, like on Lee's website???

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sorry about that brother. I’m not a 9 mm guy. I’ve heard about your issue though

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Count me as locked in also. 10’s of thousands of rounds and I’ve never had an issue with bulges in any of the standard service calibers.
That’s great man. I’m really talking to a smaller segment of shooters who have so called Glock bulges. I also get bulges because I’m shooting high power wildcat rounds which expand the case web even with a KKM 45acp barrel.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Reload and shoot a cartridge beyond its design limits ( either based on case/cartridge design or firearm design) reap the consequences.
I have never had issue with any cartridge or firearm regarding use of reloads bullet type etc it kept within industry standards for load data and proper assembly
Push beyond established limits and problems emerge- what an f-in surprise!

·
In The Saddle
8,673 Posts
I have been hand loading for over 45 years, and loading for Glocks in many calibers, for couple or more decades, and have had ZERO issues with any bulging. 9mm to 45acp, I full length resize, and after powder and seating, crimping, cast of jacketed, I run them all through a Lee Factory Crimp Die, and never any issues whatsoever... All have run fine.

CM
:horse:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts