close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Talk digression to politics

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by kiser64, Oct 12, 2017.

1. kiser64

kiser64

This morning while replying to a certain thread, I realized that I have gotten sucked in to a political tennis match, that I really don't come here for. The content just pissed me off enough to get sucked in. Guys calling veterans, who the don't even know, cowards. Race-baiting-stirring the pot, not for the good.

It's disheartening...I used to come to this place to gain knowledge and to glean from other's experiences with the Glock platform. Throw in a travel through The Okie Corral to get to know the other users. I know I've thrown in my $.02 a handful of times and added to the digression, but I'm finding that the discussions aren't discussions at all. Just a whole lot of mud-slinging and name calling. Closely tracking the State of our Union right now.

I'm losing interest in Glock Talk because of this...

2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad

3. dartor

dartor

You can either not read or reply to the posts or just laugh to yourself when you read some of the posts. Yes, sometimes a post will get a person riled up but sometimes they are amusing due to their ignorance.

4. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

I'll second that.

5. dudel

dudel

Yep. It's a sewer there. Step carefully. If you look at the site, GlockTalk is a misnomer. Very little Glock information going on here.

6. walt cowan

walt cowan

7. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Stay out of the Political Issues forum and stick to the General Glocking forum and you should be OK.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

It is best to avoid politics and religion.....hard to do, but saves a bit of sanity.

9. Wishoot

Wishoot

I enjoy hanging out in The Okie Corral for it's varied topics. It's not terribly hard to avoid getting stuck in the middle of a political conversation. Just don't get involved in the first place.

IMO, there's still plenty of usable and practical information and conversation to be found on this forum.

10. Tvov

Tvov

Seems like whenever the forum moderators move threads to the correct forum, warn people about content, or delete content.... people start screaming "suppression of free speech", blah blah blah.

Just read the threads that interest you!

11. Rocketsteve

Rocketsteve Army Vet Silver Member

I self-regulate. If the content of a particular thread is going south before the end of page 1, I usually bail out right there. I don't post a lot and with good reason; some content is just negative and I chose to avoid it.

There are still plenty of good reasons to be here, but it may require you to do more separation of the wheat from the chaff...

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

GT is a cross section of people - maybe a little bit slanted towards conservative leaning, middle age white men - but there are still many different views.

I once joked in a thread about child molesters that finally maybe there was a topic we all agreed on - then someone threw a wrench into that by questioning something about something -

Be careful you may get what you want - and I can't imagine how boring it would be if everyone either agreed on things or never disagreed because it isn't polite.

If you want to talk about Glock go to General Glocking.

If people are calling you disparaging names you should stop and consider maybe they are right. :animlol:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  13. 29glock27

29glock27 装屄

As long as you understand that everything you believe in or think you know is absolutely wrong you can get along in GT.

gt1122, Nucflash, Jonesee and 4 others like this.
  14. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

It's because every stinking thing today has a political undertone .

15. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

16. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

The maturity level continues to decline year after year. I still visit but not as much as in past years.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

This is true and it carries over everywhere.
    The country hasn't been so divided since the Civil War. And I don't see it getting any better. So, you just have to do your best to avoid the conflict, or jump in with your say.

18. ray9898

ray9898

This place has loads of people obsessed with politics. It consumes them in an unhealthy way. They will politicize everything from discussions on hamburgers to toilet paper. There are people who can't buy a multi-tool or a pair of socks without researching political leanings.

That being said, they bring it into many topics where it isn't relevant.

Detectorist, Jonesee, SRS and 5 others like this.
  19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

If the OP is looking for a forum where only one opinion is allows, I would suggest go to DU. There they are tolerant of other people's views (as long as they are the "correct" opinions). But it is a good echo chamber.

20. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

I have heard that once you mature you lose your sense of humor , you just grow old and grumpy . Never forget as Dylan said ( there are many here among us that feel life is but a joke ) .