close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock suppressor

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G22inSC, Apr 1, 2006.

1. G22inSC

G22inSC

I am currently weighing the options for a suppressor on a Glock 17. Does anyone have experience with any of these suppressors (SWR Trident9 or AAC Evolution-9)? I have a local dealer that stocks SWR products; however, I am unfamiliar with all of them.

What barrel should I use? I have thought about a G34 barrel that would have to be threaded or a threaded Jarvis barrel. What would you'll recommend?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, help and/or other recommendations you all have. Thanks in advance.

2. trakker45

trakker45

I have a SWR Trident9 and am extremely pleased with its performance. I use it on a Glock 17, and it functions great. If you are going to suppress a Glock, as you say you are, I recommend using a Glock factory barrel. For a G17, you can use a Glock 17L barrel or a Glock 34 barrel. Either way, the barrel will have to be cut down and threaded by a competent gunsmith. I bought a G17L barrel and sent it to Joe at SWR. As a general rule, you should always have the barrel threaded by the manufacturer of the suppressor. I would never buy an aftermarket barrel unless I had no other choice; for example, you have to use aftermarket barrels with suppressed Glock 19s because the Glock 17 barrel will not fit in a G19.

I have never fired or heard anyone else fire an evolution-9, but they are said to be slightly quieter than the Trident9. The evo-9 is also slightly shorter and has a smaller diameter than the Trident. I seriously considered the evo-9, but opted for the Trident because the Trident can be used on subguns (I have a couple of those as well), Glocks or other Browning-type pistols, and fixed barrel pistols like the Beretta 92 with the use of interchangeable mounts. The evo-9 can also be used on fixed barrel pistols with the use of a special device that you can purchase separately from AAC. I am sure the evo-9 is a great product, and I don't believe all the b.s. out there about AAC having poor customer service. I plan on buying an AAC can in the future, just haven't decided which one I want yet.

Price: AAC evo-9- $795 retail

SWR Trident9- module costs $585, and the Glock LCD mount costs either $100 or $125, I can't remember what I paid.

Bottom line:

Whichever one you choose, you will be very happy. SWR and AAC are both premier companys in the suppressor arena.

3. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I am very happy with my Glock21+After market barrel+ SWR suppressor

I will do my G17 probably this year. The suppressor will be a SWR or Gemtech. I always just thought I would do an after market barrel that way I can shoot lead as well as jacketed ammo. My only other thought is that the chamber on the after market barrel is tighter.

4. trakker45

trakker45

Just don't shoot lead through the suppressor... I assume you use jacketed ammo when shooting suppressed RWBlue, just wanted to make sure everyone else in here does.

5. G22inSC

G22inSC

You stated a G34 would have to be cut, crowned and threaded. Why could you not just have it threaded? I am assuming it may be a little longer, but it might keep cost down a little. Is there another reason for the cutting and crowning before threading? Sorry for my ignorance.

6. trakker45

trakker45

The more compact the barrel, the easier it will be for the gun to cycle with the suppressor mounted. You don't want a long barrel sticking out there in space with a 10 ounce suppressor hanging off of it. And having the barrel cut down will not add to the cost. Joe charged me $75 to cut and thread my Glock 17 barrel and that is a bargain compared to other suppressor companies out there. Gemtech charged me in excess of $100 to thread my Beretta 92 barrel, and there was no cutting involved there.

7. G22inSC

G22inSC

trakker45

How quiet is your particular setup? Is it just enough to not realize a gun shot or is it really quiet?

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I have heard that shooting lead through a gun on full auto will cause buildup on the suppressor very fast, but have not heard of anyone with that problem when shooting semi-auto.

I personally, have not seen the need to shoot lead bullets from my G21, with or without a suppressor. The cost differential is not significant enough for me to be worth my time. (I assume I would have a different openion, if I had more time to shoot.)

9. UZIFORME

UZIFORME

Semi or Full don't do it.

Not so much a lead problem but case lead bullets are lubes with a waxy goo, this spins off into the silencer.

10. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

I have an Evolution 9 and a SWR/GS9K3, do not have the Trident yet but am familiar with it. As you are aware, the Trident is much more versatile with more mount options. The Evolution is a nice small package but is thread-on only.

I recommend a Glock barrel. Here are the corrected links, as I have moved some things around on my web site:

http://tradecraft.us/Firearms/Glock17Thread/Glock17Thread.htm

http://tradecraft.us/Firearms/Glock34Thread/Glock34Thread.htm

If your local deal is Henry Graham, you are in good shape.

11. trakker45

trakker45

It definitely does not sound like a gunshot. Kind of like a low "foooomp" sound. I consider it "really quiet" compared to what the Glock would sound like without the suppressor. It's louder than a .22lr pistol can, if you have any experience with them. I think 9mm pistols are the most fun to suppress (in a caliber larger than .22) because they can be shot dry and are pretty quiet when used with 147 grain subsonic ammo. My first three cans were 9mm, the last was a .22lr. I really enjoy shooting all of them.