close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK Suppressor

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RazorbackME, Jun 15, 2004.

1. RazorbackME

RazorbackME

I would like to get a sound suppressor for a GLOCK, what will it take to accomplish this money-wise? I am somewhat familiar with the hoops you have to jump through, but what will it end up costing in time and money, considering I already own the GLOCK? Also, would it be better to get one for a 9mm or a .45? I have heard different stories about modifications that must be made to the pistol itself, so if someone would clear all this up for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I see a lot of people getting a sound suppressor for their Walther P22, is there a specific reason behind this? It seems like you would choose something more powerful if you were going to spend that kind of money.

2. sachsr1

sachsr1

People get cans for the p22 because it comes with a threaded barrel, and all you need to do is spin it on. Also .22lr suppressed are very quiet, and easy to shoot. A suppressed weapon is really just a toy, and .22 cans are the cheapest. You could buy a can in a larger caliber, but they are reportedly as quiet as a regular unsupressed .22lr. I like the suppressed 22, because you can shoot w/o ears no problems. A 9mm round usually goes supersonic, and defeats the suppressor. I have no experience with a .45 can, but they are not cheap. A .22 can is about $200-300 dollars plus thread adapter $30-60 plus tax stamp $200, plus weapon cost. So a suppressed Walther is about $600-$800 dollars. That's about as cheap as it gets. As for getting a larger caliber the only benefit would be stopping power, but I would NEVER use a NFA weapon for self-defense or CCW. You would be torn apart by the media and the defense/civil attorneys, also if you shoot someone your weapon will be seized for an unknown amount of time, and possibly forever if the case is iffy.

3. kend

kend

Proper ammo selection is key to making a suppressor work regardless of caliber. The reason the 22's work so easily is most 22LR ammo is subsonic but you can get supersonic 22's and that is very loud through a suppressor. Most 9mm 147 grain loads are subsonic as are most 230 grain .45 ACP loads but you have to sure if you want the suppressor to work. The P-22 is easy to suppress for the reasons mentioned above and lower cost cans are available that do work. subguns.com will reveal more about the class 3 world than you can imagine, that would be where I'd start looking for info on suppressing the Glock as I've heard it can be a little tricky.

4. RazorbackME

RazorbackME

I see what you guys are saying about it being cheaper to suppress a .22 such as a P22. I suppose it is really more of a conversation piece than anything else. You are not allowed to transport a can out of your home state, is that correct? I live close to the Oklahoma border and sometimes shoot with Okie friends, so that would be a no-no, right?

5. kend

kend

No, I don't recall the form number but there is a form to file with ATF for interstate travel. As long as it's legal where you are going there shouldn't be a problem getting it approved. Sometimes it takes several months to get an approval so plan ahead, I've also been told that the approved travel form is good for one year as long as you list the travel dates. The purpose of this form is to know where the item is at all times. Again, I would refer you to subguns.com to get more info on this.

6. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey

Actually, you don't have to file a form 5320.20 to transport suppressors or AOWs inter-state. The form is only required for MGs, SBRs, SBSes, and DDs. The ATF will approve a 5320.20 for a suppressor or AOW if you submit one, though.

Personally, I'm not going to bother with a form 5320.20 for my suppressor on a trip I take this summer. I know which states it's legal to possess suppressors in, and I won't be traveling to any that aren't.

7. kend

kend

Cool! Now that's some info I can use. Thanks.