Glock 19 Glock Summer Special - Slide Lockback Issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SimulatedZero, Apr 5, 2020.

1. SimulatedZero

SimulatedZero

I have a pair of Gen 4 Glock 19 Summer Special Editions with front slide serrations, night sights, etc... I've been having an issue with with the slide locking back while firing randomly. Just to fire off a few points, the first time this issue popped up, I turned it into a local armorer for a look over and we all came to the conclusion that I wasn't used to the extended thumb release on and was manually locking the slide while firing. I didn't change anything out and figured I would just working on my positioning and training to learn the new system. Over time I found the slide lock was not the issue. I actually have no idea what could be causing it at this point, except maybe frame flexing while firing.

The slide lock is not engaged in anyway shape or form when this happens. Depressing it does not release the slide and it's not raised enough to depress anyways. It's not a feeding issue as the round isn't engaged by the slide yet. It doesn't appear to be a magazine issue, I've cycled dozens of random mags through it and used them in other platforms. The issue is limited to the G19 SS. I also had one of the locking pins work itself out of the frame on my last range session. I ran through about 200 rounds, started breaking it down when I got back to the house and found the pin a third of the way out. Here's the kicker, this effects both of the G19 SS's I picked up. I ended up selling one of them and come to find out the other one has had similar issues with similar results from trying to figure it out.

There's no warranty option at this point and that's my fault as I drug my feet on this. I was really convinced it was me and not the weapon, but it didn't materialize that way. Between that moving into a very high overtime position, I just never pursued the factory warranty option like I should've.

Both weapons are relatively new as far as I'm concerned. I have less than 5k rounds on mine for sure, probably around 2k to be honest. The other one has less than 2k rounds. I'm not new to Glock platforms at all. I've carried them for years and have over 30k rounds on a stock gen 3 17 I used for competitions.

I would love to figure this out and keep these in action. It happens just infrequently enough that armorers haven't replicated the problem yet and they haven't been able to find anything either. Otherwise, I'm just about ready to move on to a compact Sig. I don't carry for work anymore, but I still don't want to deal with this in a carry gun.

2. Spartan24

Spartan24

So the slide locks back and the slide stop lever is NOT engaged? Got a pic?

SARDG likes this.

3. SimulatedZero

SimulatedZero

Somewhere I do. If I can't find it I can hit the range tomorrow and put a few rounds through on video until I catch.

4. Orive 8

Orive 8

Here's my opinion on what's happening, its free so take it for what it is worth. First I have owned 6 Glock 19s Gen 4 Front Serrations Summer Specials. My favorite version of the Glock 19 (I've owned 30+ 19s over the years...)

1. This gun has an extended slide stop.
    2. Your grip/firing hand is most likely "knocking/bumping" the slip stop while the gun is in recoil.
    3. Other people may not have this problem because they have different hands than you.

If you like the gun - maybe switch out the slide stop for a regular Glock 19 one and try it out. I can't imagine that the cost of a slide stop is going to be a lot.

If you don't really like this gun or just don't want to mess with it anymore - sell it and get something else. (Great time to sell a Glock 19)

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

SARDG likes this.
  5. JDJ

JDJ

That’s what I read: the slide locks back but the lever is not holding it. Weird.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Outside the shooter's hand in some manner contacting the SLIDE STOP LEVER during recoil, the most common causes of a spurious slide stoppage while the magazine still has rounds it it are:
    1. Improper installation of the Slide Stop Lever such that its wire spring runs ABOVE the Locking Block Pin instead of UNDER the LBP. The SSL's wire spring MUST have its end UNDER the LBP or the wire spring tension will be too low to assure that the SSL doesn't engage the slide during recoil. Install the Slide Stop Lever properly, which only requires pushing the LBP to the right enough to slip the wire end under the LBP...then push the LBP left back into place, over the wire spring.
    2. The Slide Stop Lever is installed properly, but its wire spring has lost tension with age (or mishandling) or the crimp in the SSL's sheet metal that should firmly affix the wire spring to the SSL has loosened. Replace the Slide Stop Lever and Spring assembly.
    Indeed. On a Glock the SLIDE LOCK is a totally different and unrelated part. It's the part on the frame that you must pull down to unlock the slide assembly from the frame assembly.

Welcome to the General Glocking Forum.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    L-2 likes this.
  7. MajorD

MajorD

Very easy test to run to help diagnose. Shoot the pistol left handed one handed bullseye style. If the problem goes away it is your grip simple as that. If it continues to happen shooting one handed with the left hand you know you have a mechanical issue

8. SimulatedZero

SimulatedZero

I appreciate the responses. I just took a brief look and at the wire spring attached to the Slide Stop Lever and it appears to be installed correctly as described above. Ironically, the Locking Block Pin in question is the exact pin that slid out about a third of the way after a range session one day.

As far as diagnosing via one handed shooting, that is exactly what I did. I had the same issue with both hands shooting both dominate and off hand. When it first popped up, I swore it was the magazine as it seemed to be a much more prevalent issue with on of the factory mags that came with it. I even marked with a sharpie to track malfunctions on it. But, I also had the same issue with factory 17rd mags for my G17. I know those work and work very well as they have been thoroughly proven. I did seem more prevalent on the 15 rounders at first, which led me down something hanging up somewhere.

I really don't want to describe too much with out pictures or video just because it's a weird problem; but, I was able to mash the Slide Lock Lever on the G19 repeatedly to no effect during malfunction. I could actually lift the lever up a bit to bring it to the slide. I had to manually pull the slide back and release. That worked every time without fail. It seemed as though the slide was getting caught further back than usual.

Like I said, it's one of those things that's "yeah ok, sure". I have a brand new normal Slide Stop Lever I can swap into it. What I'll do is run a couple hundred rounds through it with the current SSL and record it, see if I can't catch what I'm talking about on video and photograph it. You guys can feel more than free to roast me if it's a grip issue. I'll have my armorer switch out the SSL for the standard one and run a couple hundred more rounds through.

I will say from sitting here with my very used G17 and my relatively new G19, the SSL on the G17 (Gen 3) is much firmer and has much less up travel before it reaches it's hard stop than my G19 does. The G19 feels relatively free moving, both up and down as well as side to side (a bit). The G19 was a brand new purchase when I picked it up. Didn't show any cosmetic signs of use on the internals either. Everything on it is still factory.

Edit: I do want to add, I am fully aware things like this are primarily a shooter issue. I ran under that assumption for a very long time after ruling out the magazines. It may still be that, but some of the testing I've done seems to, atleast minimally, exonerate me as an issue. Guess we'll find out more tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    PattonWasRight likes this.
  9. JDJ

JDJ

Maybe your rails are out of spec and the slide is binding. Other than a binding problem, I cannot imagine a slide sticking open without the slide stop lever mechanically catching it.

PRE-K likes this.
  10. JDJ

JDJ

Any updates on this issue?

11. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Check the locking block for breakage, or any damaged/missing frame rails.
    It would be rare, but I've seen both cause the slide to bind or "hang up".

12. SimulatedZero

SimulatedZero

I do have a bit of an update. I was able to make it to the range and cycled 300 rounds through. Naturally, everything ran smooth regardless of what I did. One light strike, but it was ammunition from a local manufacturer (new brass, no reloads).

I did have the issue with the locking block pin backing out again. Is that something you guys have seen before. It wasn't so bad this time, but it was still there.

I wasn't able to swap the slide lock lever yet. I'll end up doing that myself and heading back to the range this weekend if conditions allow.

I did a side by side strip down of my G17 and my G19 and notice the safety plunger on the G19 was much sharper of a grind with no rounded edges. It caught magazines much more then the G17. It's also much newer. I'm not ever sure it can catch hard enough to stop the slide, but it hits right at the metal feed lip of the mag. Might polish it a bit and see what happens.

I'll check back over the internals for locking block or slide issues.

Attached Files:

13. nightstalker865

nightstalker865

I’ll be interested to hear how the gun runs with a standard slide stop installed. I would also take the light off the gun too. Just to eliminate the additional variable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ Niner and SimulatedZero like this.
  14. Glock4life!

Glock4life!

Is sending the gun in to Glock an option? I’d be calling them about these issues and have them look the firearm over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SimulatedZero

SimulatedZero

I was hoping it would be something that was either operator error or a simple fix. I ran out the warranty so it'll be out of pocket, but yes it's an option that's still on my list.

Edit: After talking to Glock a bit they said one of the pistols sounds like it has a barrel issue and the other might or might not have the same issue. I'm probably going to just send them in and seeing as I'm going to be coming out pocket for rounds or parts anyways.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  16. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

There is no end of warranty for a Glock. But it still sounds like a shooter issue, so all they will do is function fire it and send it back. Pins usually fall out because the trigger group has been removed for cleaning too many times, or there is an issue with the locking block. Get a new pin first.

SARDG likes this.
  17. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Did you at any time have both guns completely apart? I mean past the frame, slide , barrel and recoil spring separation required for a basic cleaning. I watch a lot of folks detail strip the gun after each range session and I think “WTH?”

SARDG likes this.
  18. SimulatedZero

SimulatedZero

No, never. To be honest, I've never really broken a glock done past a basic field strip with the exception of diagnosing a loose liner in the striker channel on my G17 or something similar. What it was had broken loose and was slowing down the striker causing light primer strikes. I don't even clean after most sessions besides some oil occasionally. It's a glock, that's why I buy them.

19. Toocool45

Toocool45

Having the light on should not matter. Its a gen 4, unless its got a weak recoil spring.

20. cciman

cciman

Very BIZARRE, that the slide will lock back with the SLL disengaged, and that it has happend in 2 of your guns. Without handling the gun, and taking it apart, i would just be throwing guesses.

Send it to Glock and have them diagnose it with the full description that you have outlined above. If it comes back with nospecific adressment, you know there is NOTHING mechanically wrong with the gun. Then go from there.

You should however learn to fully detail strip the Glock, one of beauties of Glock ownership is that almost anyone can do it.