Glock Stock Trigger vs ____________

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by robhic, Jul 17, 2018.

1. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

No, not THAT again! Not so much low and left (I've read all those over the years) but as compared to another gun.

I took my G19 and my Eye-Talian Police trade-in Beretta 92s out today to test some reloads I'd made. The Glock I can get pretty good results focusing, taking my time, etc.

The DA/SA Beretta has a higher pull weight in DA and gets pretty light in SA. I replaced the old spring with a 14# Wolff. I like it but the sights suck (that integral front sight formed into the frame as a wee small blade and the rear notch is tiny, also.)

Got good sights on the 19 but casually aiming and shooting the Beretta gets me good grouping and ragged holes while my 19 needs attention and TLC for anything worth talking about. :frown:

Any ideas why this might be happening? I am puzzled....:headscratch:

2. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Trigger mechanics, vision and cognition are 3 separate things. To place good hits you need to be able to physically trigger the gun without moving the sights, observe the sights to see that happening, and intellectually understand when and that it is happening.

Different combinations of hardware can bring out various strengths and weaknesses in different shooters. So as an example, maybe the SA trigger (and heavier frame) in the Beretta are more of an asset than its inferior sights are a liability.

Mechanics, vision and cognition work together in different proportions for different shooting tasks. The proportions vary not only by task, but also by shooter, and where the individual shooter is in his personal development.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    jp3to and Bwillis like this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Suggest you shoot more often with less platforms. I believe less distractions with fewer variety will accomplish such.

jp3to and Bwillis like this.
  4. robhic

That'd be a good start but the 19 is my most-used gun next to my 26. Probably 5-1 Glock to Beretta but I just wanted a longer barrel and different gun to test the ammo today. The discrepancy between the 2 guns with the higher-weight DA trigger STILL showing better is a head-scratcher.

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

But the flip side of that is, once you have enough time on one platform, switching to something that's just different enough to give some perspective can teach you a lot about where you are as a shooter.

Squib77 and Rocky7 like this.
  6. Rocky7

I did not suggest one over the other just pick one, and give it your attention along with a committement to try to master it.

robhic likes this.
  7. Rocky7

Actually I do that .....17/26/30s...

Often we test ourselves and divulge ourselves in self gratification( or aggravation) in the form of competition.

8. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Tiny sights yield tiny groups. Aim small, shoot small. Also SA triggers, mean less movement of gun during trigger press.

Glock is not a bullseye laser paper stamper, its a short range killing tool.

You want the ragged (but concentrated) groups in a combat pistol= aggregately more tissue damage, vs. all shots in the same hole.

jp3to likes this.
  9. Squib77

Squib77

Ah yes, “trauma dispersion”

Less precision is better in some circles

10. jp3to

jp3to

Never understood the folks at the range, shooting pistols, that take 30 seconds per shot at 5-10 yards. What’s the point of that type of shooting? I’d rather practice keeping it in the black over key-holing a mags worth over a 10 minute period. Maybe I’m strange?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Squib77

Squib77

Or learn to keyhole 10 rds fast

Maybe come up with a formula that combines the two like hits / time = ?

It just all depends how fast you can see the sights return to target and how much you need to see to call the shot

Of course that’s assuming your grip is all worked out.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  12. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Glock Stock Trigger vs my manual can opener.

Can opener hands down.

Add the Ghost Edge connector and the Glock barely edges out the can opener.

SWFlGuy and kjphilippona like this.
  13. robhic

That's interesting. What puzzled me was the Glock 5.5# trigger against the Beretta DA 7# (I
    checked it last night...) and 4# SA. I generally decock and use DA multiple times just because.

But the small (but hard to see cuz the yellow fingernail polish it put on had rubbed off) sights were just that - hard to see but weak sight and 7# pull still edged out the Glock 5.5# and Big Dot sights. Hmmm..... The Beretta is a bit too big to carry concealed (I tried) so that's a shame. OWB, I really don't do that if possible.

14. cciman

cciman MacGyver

So back to the elephant: 2 other possibilities

Your shooting style (grip, stance, finger placement/hand mechanics, trigger discipline, hand/eye coordination) favors the 92s for fine offhand shooting.

The ammo used works better out of the 92s.

15. robhic

I'm gonna say option 1. The ammo was my own reloads (target, lo-power) and the Beretta doesn't have finger grooves in front so grip/style could be it. If I can get as close as I do with my finger-grooves, I'd like to get my hands on a Glock without before I remove 'em from mine. I'm thinking turning the pistol sideways ghetto style ain't helpin' so I may go back to my original form... Just keeding!!! But you've made me think, thanks.