close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Stippling Equipment Q's...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Meathead9, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Meathead9

Meathead9

I just had one of my Glocks stippled by Glockworx, and I'm thinking about trying my hand at it. I like the larger waffle pattern stippling, but I need to make a custom tip to do it. I don't really want to modify a bunch of brass screws, but Brownells sells a wood stippling punch that I can modify to suit my needs.

My gun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=..._a_7c080061020_d_080061012_d_11647&subid=8832

I assume these are made out of steel. I'll probably turn down the head to around 3/16", and turn down/thread the rest to fit the soldering iron/woodburner.*

Which Soldering Iron would you recommend?

What kind of power will I need to heat it up once it's been modified?

Those of you who hate stippling, please refrain from asking why, suggesting griptape or hogues, or saying its ugly & stupid. Until I had mine done, and experienced how good the grip actually feels, I agreed with you. Now I see what all the fuss is about...

Also, yes I will practice on a couple disposable plastic items before even thinking about starting on one of my Glocks.

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Those would be very nice to use for that if you get them to work id sure like to have some made up for me :beer:
    So pm me when you get it to work. Your gun looks good.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn Mall Ninja Extraordinaire

I use a wood burner from Lowes don't know the name. If you're going to have a larger surfaced tip you'll need a good amount of heat. Mine has a branding tip that is patterned similar to that and it doesn't do well on plastic. Ymmv. They sell adjustable wood vurners. Id recommend one of that style.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Meathead9

Meathead9

That's what my main concern was. I figured that the increased surface area & steel vs brass would require some additional power to heat it properly.

Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a picture of what you're using & where you got it?

5. Meathead9

Meathead9

6. verrot

verrot

I'm new to the forum,,, but not new to guns. I just tried my hand at stippling for the first time, so I'll chime in.

I don't care for the golf ball type or the striped stippling texture. I love the skater tape texture, but can't get over the "tape" portion of the skater tape,,, so I tried to mimic that texture in my stipple job.

I used a Weller 50W soldering iron, with a fine point tip. (think the tip of a sharpened #2 pencil) My hand doesn't really touch the side panels much when I grip the pistol, so I left them alone. I studied where my hand actually makes contact with the grip, then stippled that area. (and tried to make it look good at the same time:whistling:)

The texture and look, came out exactly as I'd hoped, which was a huge relief. It sticks to my hand,,, and looks "OEM-ish".

A hint to make clean lines is to outline the area you want to stipple with masking tape. The tape will keep the iron from burning the grip,,, so you can stipple right up to the edge of the tape. If you miss a bit and hit the tape, it won't melt the poly,, so you get a very clean, straight line,,,,, just like taping off something you don't want painted.

Here are the final pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tnd2

tnd2

Good looking job! I've been thinking about cutting my G19 down to a G26 and working with some fine stippling. I like the finish you ended up with.

8. verrot

verrot

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I've played with stippling but haven't done it to the gun yet.

The Glock mag loader is a fantastic object to practice on. You can get some really nice looking stipples with just the basic tips that come with the burner.

10. aziator

aziator

I have been stippling M&Ps for a while, thought I would try my hand at Glocks. What do you guys think of this Gen 3 G19? I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344457799.964099.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344457835.370572.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344457875.281338.jpg

11. Meathead9

Meathead9

Great work guys, but I started this thread so I could hopefully get some specific equipment questions answered. I didn't intend for it to be a "show off your stippling" picture thread.

12. Wawrz

Wawrz

13. aziator

aziator

Sorry, meant to add that I use a wood burner from Harbor Freight. I ended up making my own tips out of brass screws. I have looked at those punches from Brownells but was turned off by the SS. I am planning to find some brass rods that I can turn down and have a larger surface area, especially for my random pattern stuff. Unfortunately the one I posted above requires that I use a thin tip and I don't think I can replicate it with a larger "stamp". I think I have gone through 3 of the harbor freight burners in the past 2 years. I looked at some more "professional" ones but the ones I saw didn't accept threaded tips.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  14. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

15. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012