Glock Steel Sights

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DonGlock26, Jul 8, 2007.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Does anyone prefer the standard(non-night sight) Glock steel sights? Where would one buy a set?

Thanks,

Don

2. Pepiot

Pepiot Yippee ki-yay...

3. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Thanks for the link. :beer:

4. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

I purchased a 3rd-generation G17 with the steel sights as standard equipment (it was even printed on the box label). The gun store received it by mistake, and I walked in right as they were putting it in the display case. I prefer the sight picture provided by the "goalpost/dot", but have damaged several polymer Glock sights over the years. When I picked this gun up and saw the sight picture, I had to have it! The gun is great, and I even installed a steel Glock OEM rear on my preferred 2nd-generation G17. The front on that pistol is a red Hi-Viz "overmolded" sight.
    One caveat. It is easy to screw-up the installation of the Glock OEM steel front (tritium or not). The factory "sight press" is a piece of CRAAAAAAP (shouted with a Scottish accent). It doesn't securely stamp the hollow-based front in place unless you turn it's knob with a pair of pliers for the last several turns - you run out of screw-length on the tool. Most aftermarket steel front sights (Trijicon, Meprolight, Hi-Viz) screw into place; the Glock OEM is stamped with that POS tool. For the record, Trijicons ordered as Glock OEM have a stamped front, too. For best results, I recommend sending the slide back to Glock to have the OEM steel sights installed. Other GT'ers may have had different experiences, but mine was sufficient to discourage any future attempts to install Glock OEM front sights on my own - and that's after TWO Glock armorer schools. The end result is worth the hassle of sending the slide back to Glock for the installation. Then again, you could go Glock OEM steel rear (installs easily) with a Hi-Viz front. Also, the link posted by Pepiot leads to a site that sells Glock OEM steel sights, including the little-known Glock screw-on steel front. I used one of those on a range-beater G17 years back, and it was great. If you are doing the work yourself, The Glock OEM steel rear and Glock screw-on front are probably your best best. Use Loc-Tite red (271) on the front.

5. MADISON

MADISON Guest

6. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

That is first thing I change when I get a new Glock.

The plastic front sight fell out the same day I bought my very first Glock, before I ever had a chance to shoot it.

7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

That's what I'm thinking. How did you get the rear sight on?

Thanks,

Don

8. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

The Glock-brand rear sight tool was used to install the Glock steel rear sight. The tool costs about $100, and is well worth the price.

9. bps72

bps72 Guest

I just put a Trijicon steel front (non-tritium) that has the same profile as the OEM plastic "barleycorn" sight and I put a Glock steel sight on the rear, using nothing but some miniature pliers, a brass hammer and nylon drift and a dedicated tool to screw the front hex screw in. It took me about ten minutes. I used blue loc-tite on the front, FWIW.

10. DaFont

DaFont Guest

Hello,

I shoot IDPA and plates and prefer a simple (black) set of sights. Dawson Precision and Brownells seem to have good selections. I just ordered two (2) sets. One BoMar set and one MMC low profile set. Both are adj. in elevation and windage. I'll try them both out and keep the one I like. My G35 right now has Heinie Slant Pros. There OK but the cut is a bit wide for my tastes.

I also purchased a B-J machine sight tool from Midway (Brownells was out). You'll need one to remove the old sight and install the new one.
    Good Luck
    DAF

11. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

I didn't install steel GLOCK sights, but if I did here is how I would do it...

But seriously, if you want the advantages of a steel GLOCK-style sight and steel, get a Trijicon front steel sight with no tritium (which is a screw on) and OEM steel GLOCK sights.

12. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I'm just going with the Steel Trij. front sight for now. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup: