Glock Talk banner

Glock Stainless Steel Recoil Guide Rod Spring Assembly

2836 Views 29 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  mboylan
Thinking about one for my G 21SF. I've heard that it adds a bit more weight to the front of the gun helping to keep recoil down some. True, False! Just looking for some input, thanks. Don't know why it is in some of us to change something that seems to be already perfect. Boys will be boys, even when they're men. :)
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,184 Posts
I won't say it's a dumb idea, since I tried one once myself. The only difference I noticed was extra battering inside the frame. I quickly switched back to the OEM part. The OEM RSAs have a good track record. I'll stick with those.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,028 Posts
Thinking about one for my G 21SF. I've heard that it adds a bit more weight to the front of the gun helping to keep recoil down some. True, False! Just looking for some input, thanks. Don't know why it is in some of us to change something that seems to be already perfect. Boys will be boys, even when they're men. :)
The informational pitch of weight does have validity in that they are heavier, I cannot personally say that they assist as in recoil management. I have used these in 30s and 26's and cannot give you a yea, the guide rod assy sits in a parts container and I believe I spent $49.00 each. Suggest you pass on this mod especially for the mild shooting 21 sf.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
I've done a few changes on my Glock pistols over the years. Changing out the RSA for a steel one isn't one of them.

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
If it's a Gen2 or Gen3 then it gets a Stainless RSA. Not sure if it dampens recoil all that much but that little bit of extra weight helps the shootability of the pistol for ME(YMMV) and if watch this vid the stock, plastic RSA was the first part to break. Granted it was some extreme shooting but still, it did show that the stock RSA was the weak point in an otherwise bullet proof pistol.

P.S.
A stainless RSA is only about $20 bucks, cheap insurance if you ask me.

· Registered
2,184 Posts
If it's a Gen2 or Gen3 then it gets a Stainless RSA. Not sure if it dampens recoil all that much but that little bit of extra weight helps the shootability of the pistol for ME(YMMV) and if watch this vid the stock, plastic RSA was the first part to break. Granted it was some extreme shooting but still, it did show that the stock RSA was the weak point in an otherwise bullet proof pistol.

P.S.
A stainless RSA is only about $20 bucks, cheap insurance if you ask me.
How do you know the stainless RSA won't screw up even sooner in a test like this? I think the stainless one may damage the receiver.

· Registered
788 Posts
You'd be better off putting a light on it...the heavier, the better, for reducing muzzle flip, and you'll kill two birds with one stone.
THIS

I'll bet money that NOBODY on these forums has enough loaded 33 rd magazines to ever melt the polymer RSA.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,028 Posts
The informational pitch of weight does have validity in that they are heavier, I cannot personally say that they assist as in recoil management. I have used these in 30s and 26's and cannot give you a yea, the guide rod assy sits in a parts container and I believe I spent $49.00 each. Suggest you pass on this mod especially for the mild shooting 21 sf.
By the way, the 30s and 26 take a dual recoil spring, if you have the single spring cost will be less. Recoil springs are usually used in fine tuning handloads, I shoot and compete and probably go through this year about 12,000 rounds, I will not be replacing springs in my (7) Glocks. Years ago 7 to be exact I was consuming 25k a year, I replaced springs at 22k for maintenance and really never experienced hiccups. I am not suggesting you do as I do because even Glock suggests sooner replacement, but since we are on topic, I will share. Good Luck in your decipher of all the hype.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
I hope I never have to depend on a pistol to have to last through that many rounds, in succession, of gun fighting. You're one lucky hombre if you melt a Glock guide rod and are still on this side of the dirt.

· MacGyver
10,828 Posts
Whaaat? no clamor for that stronger steel part that doesn't melt and adds weight????

What about tungsten -- and the guys coming out of the woodwork with physics arguments and formulas on how ell the added weight works??

This is a rerun type topic that gets rehashed over and over.
Solution looking for a problem.
Save your $$, prove that you need an aftermarket metal rod.

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
How do you know the stainless RSA won't screw up even sooner in a test like this? I think the stainless one may damage the receiver.
If you'd have watched the video you'd see that after the factory, plastic RSA went belly up he installed a stainless RSA and it took the beating that the plastic one couldn't.

Granted, none of us will probably ever run that many rounds that quickly though any of our Glock handguns BUT a torture test like this does show any weak links in a system and the plastic guide rod WAS a weak link. I'd rather spend the $20 bucks and not have to think about it anymore then wonder if/when my plastic guide rod was going to break/chip and lock up my gun.

· Registered
388 Posts
The discussion appear for the most part Gen 3 related. I could maybe see a non-captured set up for competition and allow different spring weights for different loads. Regarding a G21 Gen 4, I tried the Lone Wolf stainless assembly and it wound up sticking in the end of the slide after a couple of hundred rounds. This caused a slow return to battery and made dis-assembly difficult. In their defense they said to send it in, but no longer trust it. Lesson learned.

· Registered
3,937 Posts
I've put them in all my Glocks, and have received all the "leave it alone" and "leave it OEM" advice as well. Personally, I like them. They may not have made the gun better, but they certainly haven't made them worse either. I really like the Wolff rods, non-captured, easy to change the springs out. Good Luck in your quest, and good shooting.

Reactions: tattooo

· Registered
8,142 Posts
What it will do is allow you to change RS weight if you want to do many different loads,
the G 21 is a very versatile gun as is the G 30, in it I shoot 40s&w, 10mm, 45acp/super/
rowland.

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of the info, think I'll stay with what I have. It's a Gen 3 and the term, If it ain't broke don't fix it seems to be the answer I was looking for. I use the term all the time, just needed some opinions, thanks. BTW, recoil for the gun, for me, isn't bad at all, I was just wanting to know how others felt about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.