GLOCK Spring TEST

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Elvis Lives, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

on a new (or old glock for that matter) glock, or on any one...i read somewhere that to test for spring tension(i think that is what it was a test for)..one can hold the glock pointing upwards, purposely take it a little out of battery ....and i cannot remember the rest???

is it supposed to return into battery if doing that? is this a test of the recoil spring strength?

i tell ya i tried it and pointing it upwards, and racking the slide back a little to take it out of batter and just letting go...well it just stays there. i tried it on a new glock and an older one with a fairly recent spring.

so did i miss something on this test. i swear i saw it here on glocktalk???

2. gusbuster

gusbuster

Yes, the recoil spring is suposed to return the slide into battery if it's good. However, I read somewhere, it is not a valid test. Glock recomends you change the recoil spring every three thousand rounds.

3. Dingus

Dingus

That is not a valid test. If you are concerned, change it once a year. There are folks on this board that have gone 25,000+ rounds without changing it.

4. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Hmm...at the Orlando GSSF match, the armorer was performing that test to all the glocks he saw. He'd rack the slide, while still holding on to it while almost back to battery he'd hold the trigger down and see if it would return the slide the rest of the way. After 1500ish rounds my G23 did not "pass" so he replaced the spring (free of course) and tested again and it did "pass". He also detail stripped it and ran across a problem that no one in the trailer had seen before. The trigger assembly would not come out of the frame. They traced it to the pin that holds the trigger safety in. It had moved out of place and was preventing the trigger from being removed. He replaced my trigger assembly for me too just to be safe.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. ck1

ck1 Some Dude

Unloaded and safe, dry-fire it, and then while holding back the trigger point it straight up at the ceiling and pull the slide all the way back and don't let go, then, while holding on to it release it slowly letting the slide close itself under it's own power while still holding the trigger back... if it locks up into battery you're good, if not, you need a new recoil spring that will lock it up.
    Glocks, due to their design, can pull themselves out-of-battery and fire that way if the striker spring is strong enough to over-power the recoil spring, and that would be bad, so check it now and again and you'll be fine (if you're dry-firing and you notice the slide "bouncing" or moving too much as the trigger breaks it's probably time for a quick test).
    A stock recoil assembly can usually last at least 3000 rounds at the minimum and who knows (100,000rds?) at the maximum, no need to change it unless it fails the test or you just feel like it, as it's a mechanical device and it has no idea and doesn't care how long it's been or how many rounds you've fired, not all springs are born the same, some last months and very few rounds, some go thousands and last decades.

6. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

My "Brand New" M19 wouldn't pass this test with the factory or "New" 9/40 aftermarket Glockmeister recoil spring/rod so I assume my striker spring is "Too Strong"
    Were talking new unaltered factory parts here
    In fact I haven't seen one that passes it yet
    You have to release the slide slowly & smoothly & it'l go just to almost into battery of course if you release the trigger tha slide will close..
    Still wonder about this from time to time.

7. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

thanks! i wasn't doing it properly. i didnt know you had to keep the trigger pulled while doing it.

can anyone just for kicks confirm that their glock is doing the same thing that mine is, which is WHEN you have it cocked (the trigger), and you hold it towards the ceiling an pull the slide back a little, that it does NOT go back into battery on its own? (I should add with the magazine in place...otherwise it goes into battery).

it doesnt matter i guess since i had the technique wrong, but just curious.

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

This was taught in the Glock classes in the 90s.
    May not be current.
    Change springs during annual inspection.
    :supergrin:

9. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

Still being taught that in class ,,did it in my class last month

10. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

I have a Glock 17 that I bought a few years ago that was made in 1990 that is all original that will and just did pass that test! Go figure!

11. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

this has nothing to do with my post.

i have a brand new gun, as i said, so it has nothing to do with my post again.

i just got a lasermax guide rod, so i cannot change springs anyway.

i was not looking for a solution to a problem or a suggestion. you are waaaay off topic as are others saying to change springs. does anyone read anymore???

i was asking if your glock does this or that, if you think this or that is normal, and what the technique was(which was answered).

12. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

Someone else stated its not a valid test,, so I think he was just saying it is relevant as they taught it class years ago and still do ,, we mean no harm:wavey:

13. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Was not addressing you.
    Back off!
    Maybe you need do not need help from us.
    :supergrin:

14. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

ya that's fine, i guess primarily i was wondering what that technique was, i had it all wrong. i guess threads digress. havent been on here long enough apparently. yes lets play nice.

15. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

not sure what was happening so...
    no need to back off. i started the thread for goodness sake.

well i DID get help from some so that's cool.