close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock spring maintenance

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bill Lance, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Bill Lance

Bill Lance Millennium Member

What is Glock's recommended spring change interval for 1)recoil spring 2)trigger spring 3) firing pin spring. I was thinking 2500 for recoil and 5000 for the others. Every other recoil spring change, just swap out the FP spring and trigger spring.

Is this overkill, not soon enough or what??

Thanks a bunch for the advise.

2. MercuryHayze

MercuryHayze

guys have put well over 100,000 rounds through glocks w/o changing anything. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, especially for a carry gun, but it's just probably not necessary every 3000 rounds...

PS. Thinking about this more, I don't know that a glock recoil spring with only 2,500 rounds on it can even be considered "broken in" ;)

3. Ken Rainey

Ken Rainey 1 WILD PIG

To check the recoil spring: First, make sure pistol is unloaded, then point it toward ceiling and pull the trigger and hold the trigger to the rear. Now, while holding the trigger to the rear, pull the slide back and then EASE it up and see if it will pull itself completely back in battery while still pointing the pistol upward. IF it doesn't go completely back in battery under it's own power with you holding slight resistance on it as it closes, then you need a new recoil spring. As far as the other springs go, if you shoot a lot and are going to use it for self defense also, then changing them regularly such as you described (around 5 thousand rds) sounds reasonable and will give you peace of mind also. Ken

4. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber 10millimember

I do all my maintenace in the fall. :cool:

But seriously, why the urge to change springs so frequently?

5. billcameron

billcameron

There are a lot of opinions expressed on GT regarding springs and change times. Seems most commonly broken springs are trigger spring (standard equipment spring not NY Trigger spring) and slide lock spring. Also a lot of discussions on magazine springs kept under pressure of constantly loaded magazine. The other thing not frequently discussed is pin replacements. Seems 40 and 357 sig calibers put more of a beating on pins than 9mm. I think one way to go is have two similar guns. ONe to practice with and one to carry. On the practice gun basically replace parts when they break. On carry gun shot enough to assure it is working, say 500-1,000 rounds a year. Then on carry gun will take a while before you need to be concerned with parts breakage. This is basically what I do, but use glock 26 for practice and glock 27 for carry. I do plan, however, to replace mag springs for my carry gun every two years as they are kept under compression. I know some people say this will not hurt them, but I am like you and want to be as sure as I can that gun works when needed. In any case it is so easy to change parts on glocks, you just want to do it.

6. Bill Lance

Bill Lance Millennium Member

Thanks for the help!!:)

7. dw35

dw35

My local dealer has a G17 with over 350,000 rounds through it and there has not been the first part of any kind replaced. The gun is cleaned and oiled every 25,000 rounds and that is it. If you have extra money to spend, buy you some springs, but it isn't really needed.

Support Gaston!!