close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock speed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by new2town, Dec 23, 2002.

1. new2town

new2town

I shoot the Glock 35. With enough practice & the right technic, will I ever be able to shoot with control, as fast as my friends with Kimbers and such ? I feel out classed. Can't seem to keep the muzzle down. Thanks

2. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

new2town,

With a G35 you should be able to compete with your friends and not feel out classed its simply a matter of how much time and money you are willing to spend on this endeavor. BTW, I compete in IDPA’s SSP Division and USPSA/IPSC Limited and Production Divisions with several Glock’s and I have yet to feel out classed.

3. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Your G35 pistol itself is as competitive as anything else available. With practice, training, proper grip and stance you can be as competitive as your G35. I highly recommend the new Matt Burkett DVD.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Your G35 pistol itself is as competitive as anything else available.

If the above quote was true all the top guns would use the Glock 35. They don't, there's a slight advantage to the 1911 platform if you can get one running reliably.
    That said, for the average mortals the G35 is fine.

6. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Duck,

After having been there, done that and filled my closet with t-shirts it’s my honest opinion that as long as both shooters are of equal skill the one using a G35 will be more than capable of holding his own against the shooter with the double stack 1911.

7. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Lets see a 35 will give you a lower bore axis, less felt recoil and less trouble.

A 1911 will give you a name and a smaller savings, plus let you walk around struting you have a 1911 of one name or anther.

Yep the 35 can hold it's own if the shooter can.

sb

8. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

The 1911 is mechanically faster than the Glock, but the shooter makes the difference. I can shoot faster and better with a revolver than some can with a 1911, and I have seen people out shoot me with a revolver when I am shooting a 1911. Send some rounds down range, you'll get better.

9. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

The 1911's do not cycle faster then the Glocks. The G18 which is unmodified from a standard G17 except for the full auto selector cycles faster then any 1911 ever made.

The Glocks are fully capable of winning any match out there with the possible exception of USPSA Open class. If you wanted to spend the R&D time and money you could make them competitive in that division as well. And do so using more stock parts then you can using a 1911.

Both types of guns have advantages over the other. But both are as capable as the shooter.

10. DDEL

DDEL

n2t, swap your recoil spring out for a 20#. I couldn't believe the difference. This is of course not for shooting powder puff loads, just factory ammo.

Dev

11. tjpet

tjpet

The one thing a properly set up 1911 gives you that a Glock can't is a superb trigger pull from shot to shot with no thinking.

A Glock can be fired the same way but you have to train yourself for the quick reset.

All things being considered I'll take the Glock design any day for it's utter reliability. I grew up with Colt autos (49 years old) and love the feel but they are a dated design irregardless of what some folks would have you believe.

I know that the big guns all use the 1911 style for their respective games but they'll smarten up sooner or later and join the 21st century.

12. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    I know that the big guns all use the 1911 style for their respective games but they'll smarten up sooner or later and join the 21st century.

The "big guns" use the 1911 for a reason. Believe me if there were any advantage using the Glock over the 1911 they would use the Glock. Since they don't there is an advantage using the 1911 platform. Say what you want these guys use what is fastest and most accurate. To them $$ is of no consequence they are looking for the gun that gives them the ADVANTAGE. They have nothing that beats the 1911 to date, this includes the Glock.

13. shootingbuff

Let's see Glock does not sponser shooters to my knowledge (could be wrong)

Dave Servgion (sp) beat many 1911s in the past few yrs and even had a faster overall Nationals time that beat all the 1911s.

I am a PPshooter and still beat many 1911s, mostly 1911s. It is the other guys with Glocks that usally win at the areas 3 IDPA clubs. Do I think that makes Glocks better? Nope it just proves it is the nut behind the wheel.

Also 1911s have been in the shooting game for a long time and it is a trend that has deep roots. Many like the idea of being the hobbiest gunsmith or having x,y, and z done to the gun by a name pistol smith. I always said the reason for pistol smiths was becasue of the 1911 ;) Glocks are just boring to work on.

sb

14. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Nope it just proves it is the nut behind the wheel.

The top "nuts" are behind the wheel of a 1911. If the Glock was better they would use it. Many of the top guns are NOT sponsored by gun makers.
    The SUPER SQUAD uses what it takes to win--right now that's the 1911 platform.
    If you don't believe me get a copy of "Front Sight" that lists the equipment used in the USPSA Nationals.
    For Limited 10, Limited and Open SVI and STI are the top guns and these are built on the 1911 platform.

15. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

THE BEST in the world shoots a TANFOGLIO!

;a

16. shootingbuff

Yep sure do in most cases. Now reread the post that stated a trend. Nothing more. And that attitude is why IPSC around here SUCKS. True it has a few good old boys but the attitude if it aint a 1911.. and I placed in the middle when I shot my one and only IPSC match here and I was shooting from concealment. I wont change because of a trend or the in crowd.

AFA the top shooters they can do as well with any platform that works, becasue it is the nut behind the wheel. Nothing more, nothing less and for most of them the best when they started was 1911s and that also is were the money is.

Hope your New Year will be a good one.

sb

17. mike4045

mike4045

I know it's the guy behind the gun. Moved up a class and started winning overalls instead of top 5's with my 1911's. I shoot with several master and GM shooters who have said if the Glock could be customized to the point that a 1911 can,they would switch.

I don't hesitate to puit my Glock against any 1911. I prefer the IDPA format, because it takes awat the hi cap advantage. Now I am shooting in Production class in IPSC and am able to beat many of limited shooters. With the 10 rd and minor handicap. I've got my sights set on A class by summer and hopefully master by the fall.

If we could just get IDPA to let all guns making major to compete in CDP, I could truly use one gun for all sports. By the way I use the GLock 35 to compete. I load it up and down depending on division.

Time and practice will be the only thing to help. Never feel outcalssed by a 1911.

;c ;c Mike4045

18. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

Yeah, but that boy is something of superhuman right?

19. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

IPSC G34,

I am sure you know that I don't buy into that "super human" stuff.

We, individuals, are our own limiting force on our performance.