close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Slide Stop: "re-blue", process, options?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ReflexBlade, Mar 30, 2003.

1. ReflexBlade

ReflexBlade

I have a standard Glock made slide stop on my 2 yo G19, the problem being the entire outside section has gone silver, or more precisely, the blueing has worn off.

I realize it's only cosmetic, but I'd like it black again.
    I tried some Birchwood Casey's Re-Blueing paste, no luck!

Some years ago I had a local gunsmith re-blue tha slide stop on my G22, and it came back brownish grey, horrible, but it's not gone silver since.

Any one know how I can tell my ignorant gunsmith how to re0blue this slide stop lever, without it going weird colors?

What about parkerizing, i.e. finishing with black oxide? Is that possible?

Surley I'm not the only Glock owner to have the blueing wear off the levers?
    Any help appreciated

2. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

How about an occasional spray of spray paint on it? ;I

3. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Ummm.......how much would it cost to buy a new slide stop?

4. accrarms

accrarms Tupperware Kid

I,m with Eraser on this one i would opt to buy a new slide release lever before i spent the money to re-blue the old lever. But if your hell bent to re-blue go to Brownells.com and look at Oxphoblue it a great touch up and while your there look at the phosphate coatings or the teflon/moly coatings they will work on almost any surface.

5. fuchikoma

fuchikoma

Hoppes makes a cold-blue solution for touchups. It offers truly minimal protection, and IMHO, makes the metal smell bad (it's noticable when finishing large amounts of metal.)

However, if you degrease the lever well enough beforehand, it should be exactly what you're looking for. Still, I don't know what would cost more, a new lever, or a bottle of this cheap stuff... Glocks are pretty cheap to maintain. (Personally, unless it started rusting, I'd just leave it. A testament to how much that Glock's been shot.)

6. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

How can the gunsmith be "ignorant" for his bluing chemical not turning a little piece of metal the way you wanted it? Using the non-existant word "tha" seems more ignorant to me.

7. ReflexBlade

ReflexBlade

Sentry,
    thanks for the bashing!

BTW, "tha" should have been "the", an accidental slip of the finger, it's impolite to accuse me of being unable to spell a common word.

As to the gunsmith not knowing how to re-blue, perhaps his mixture was incorrect, to hot/cold or some other technical factor.

I questioned him at the time and he simply shrugged his shoulders, take it or leave it attitude!

There is only one gunsmith in my town, Glock spares are only now becomming re-available in South africa after a temporary hiatus, BUT no slide stops, only springs and magazines.

Hopes that clarifies the issue.

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Is Paxil availble in S.A.? ;)