Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glock Slide Stop Lever? Is it the ugliest/cheapest looking part on a Glock?
I owned a Hi-Point many moons ago and that part reminds me of something Hi-Point would do.
It's honestly my least favorite Glock part, look wise. Anyone else? The color falls of of them pretty fast as well.
Yes, I know our guns are tools and not show pieces. I've heard it a million times over. But still, they just look cheap to me.
That one part doesn't look "quality" to me.
OK, anyone agree? I'm prepared for my country azz whooping for wanting my gun to be more attractive, despite knowing it's a tool.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I know, but sometimes "form over function" just isn't safe. It's why I traded my only SIG.
That thing had more schpringies to schprung across the room than pins to punch out, just to clean the thing.
I can clean the toughest of my Glocks in less than 15 minutes, with me eyes closed.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, but sometimes "form over function" just isn't safe. It's why I traded my only SIG.
That thing had more schpringies to schprung across the room than pins to punch out, just to clean the thing.
I can clean the toughest of my Glocks in less than 15 minutes, with me eyes closed.
Great point. Thanks.

Reactions: TACLOAD

·
Registered
29,133 Posts
The finish of the Glock slide stop lever (assembly, because it has a wire crimped to it) has varied a bit over time.

I've seen them that were a rich glossy black, a dull matte black, and then some that had thin and spotty coverage revealing spots of bare steel.

All of them served their function. Dunno how Glock does the finish on their stamped and folded carbon steel levers, but it seems to produce variable results now and again. That doesn't count any specific contract requirements for a special finish in any major contract runs, either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I actually find glocks to be one of the better looking guns as well. But I know what you mean about the slide stop. That’s why I upgrade mine immediately.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually find glocks to be one of the better looking guns as well. But I know what you mean about the slide stop. That’s why I upgrade mine immediately.
Interesting. Any images?

·
Registered
29,133 Posts
I just checked found I had 3 new/spare Glock SSL assemblies, and that I also still had one from an old G19 (I'd serviced for one of the guys several years ago), in a baggie with some other old-style used parts.

The new SSL's are the bottom 3, and the top one in each pic is the old-style used G19 SSL.

I don't have any of the nice glossy black SSL's at the moment.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,545 Posts
I don't think they're ugly or necessarily "cheap" but the thing that kills me is that finish will wear off in no time flat.

·
Registered
29,133 Posts
I like plastic sights, they just works.
Until they shift out of alignment, or fall out ... and do so more easily than properly fitted steel sights.

I used to see the occasional Glock owner/issued user freak out when they'd notice their rear sight base was far off to one side, while out on the firing line, and they'd bring the gun over to me, obviously expecting me to take it back to the armory bench to fix it ... only to watch me use my thumb to easily push it back to the middle. They'd ask me what to do to prevent it from shifting again, and I'd tell them to avoid bumping it (even holstered) against anything, and to periodically check it to make sure it hadn't been pushed out of place.

Now, the older plastic rear sight of the Walther 99 design was a bit less susceptible to being shoved out of alignment, even though it was plastic (and still able to be more easily damaged than a steel sight). That was because the plastic sight base was held in place in the dovetail by the edge of the steel windage screw fitting inside a machined slot on the head of a spring-tensioned steel plunger on the right side of the dovetail. However, care had to be taken if the sight base needed to be removed, as if it was removed in the wrong direction, then the plunger head would become trapped under the sight base. Then you'd have to completely unscrew and remove the windage screw to free the sight base, which meant you'd have to replace the screw and redo the windage adjustment from scratch when the sight base was reinstalled on the slide. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts