Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

I got a new Gen 3 G17, and am pleasantly surprised about how well it shoots.

However, being new to Glock, I am not sure about what is normal and what isn't in terms of slide operation. I.e., there is a "sticking point" for about the first half inch of the slide's travel. Once you get past that point, the slide moves back very smoothly. Similarly, when the slide is going back to battery, it catches that same point about half an inch before being fully into battery. It does eventually go into battery, and this did not affect the function of the pistol at the range.

Is this normal? It makes snap caps a bit difficult, as I have to put a bit of force into racking the slide, and once I make it past the sticking point, I end up fully racking the slide and ejecting the snap cap by accident.

It seems to occur at exactly the point when the trigger resets.

From what I can tell, it is getting a bit better as I dry fire/rack the slide. Will it go away over time, or is there a problem?

For some more details, it occurs with or without a mag. It also occurs when I remove the recoil spring and rack the slide without the spring. I put in a Ghost Edge connector (awesome improvement, worthy of its own post), but the slide still catches the same way when I put the stock connector back in (and I THINK it was like that when I first got the pistol, but honestly don't remember 100%).

On a brighter note, this pistol gave me the best groupings of any pistol I have ever shot (which is causing me some great internal conflict :whistling: ). I also had no FTF of any kind, nor especially any of those rumored ejection issues.

This is certainly something I can live with, but am really curious if I should try to fix it or let it work itself out...

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
it only needs to move until the click of the trigger resetting is heard, about 1/4th inch

have you followed the manual for lubing, on the connector?

with non stock parts I don't know what you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, guys.

The rest of the pistol is stock, other than the connector - i.e., I didn't change any springs or anything.

I normally err on the side of too much lube, but followed the manual with minimized lube (but enough).

It is right around the point where the trigger rests, and exactly the point where the barrel locks up. I don't know if that is coincidence for one or the other.

·
Expert Marksman
704 Posts
As long as it fires every time you pull the trigger; I would not worry about it. I also have a new Gen3 G17...Just keep on shooting it when you can to break it in..Mine is flawless. The only mods I have done are extended mag release, Meprolight NS, and a LS captured SS guide rod...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I came across one in a LGS display case that would do that. The dealer said that it was okay and would eventually get "worn in".

I said, "Not in my house."

·
Registered
418 Posts
I once bought a gen 4 23 that stuck towards the very rear and caused malfunctions. the armor could not figure it out and sent it back to glock I got a new pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts